Author Topic: Do You Enjoy 'Comedy'?  (Read 3697 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Do You Enjoy 'Comedy'?
« on: 28 September, 2018, 09:20:55 am »
Following on from the thread about Ripping Yarns...

Maybe it was teenage hormones or my inbuilt sense of justice and an abiding hatred of clowns and their behaviour* but I never 'got' Ripping Yarns. By contrast I could parrot (see what I did there?) great screeds of Monty Python - still can, as it goes - but the shit filter that affects all those memories from 40 years ago makes me think it was funnier than the repeated BBC programmes prove.

*I have never, ever been a fan of slapstick or most types of 'situation' comedy. Michael Crawford may be a fabulous actor, singer, dancer - whatever. His portrayal of Frank Spencer has ensured that I can't appreciate anyting else he has done. Charlie Cairrolli (sp) left me, as a child, with an deep-seated fear of clowns. Seeing pupils nailed to the wall in a Ripping Yarn, didn't like that one at all. I loathe the BBC's accepted depiction of anyone with a trade as either an idiot or a crook.

In short, What's funny about comedy?

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Do You Enjoy 'Comedy'?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:37:49 am »
I found Michael Crawford/Frank Spencer hilarious when I was small. Then they put on a repeat when I was maybe 15 or so. I was eager to watch it again but couldn't bear it. It was camping it up in the worst way. As for clowns, I don't get the fear of them – why is this even a thing? – but they're not that funny either.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:42:12 am »
Different things are funny to different people. Mind you does anybody find "Birds of a feather" funny ?

Physical comedy can be really funny, Abbot and Costello for example but I never found Frank Spencer funny even when it first ran.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2018, 10:04:34 am »
I find most modern stand-ups completely unfunny.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2018, 10:18:29 am »
I like modern stand-ups and observational-type comedy. I really never got Monty Python, occasionally vaguely amusing, but not worth several decades of badly delivered parrot jokes. I can't say I'm a big fan about slapstick either. Horses for courses, of course.

On the few recent attempts I'd tried situation comedy on TV it's been mostly awful. The Americans tend to do a far better job on that score – I even preferred their version of The Office. Stuff like Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm are great.

Tastes change, of course, I remember the Young Ones being the funniest thing ever. I watched it again a couple of years back and it really wasn't that funny.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2018, 11:52:32 am »
Mind you does anybody find "Birds of a feather" funny ?

Yes, apparently so. And lots of people find Miranda and Mrs Brown funny too. You can't argue with viewing figures. Unfortunately.

Tastes change, of course, I remember the Young Ones being the funniest thing ever. I watched it again a couple of years back and it really wasn't that funny.

No, it hasn't aged well, has it? It does have the occasional moment of brilliance though, usually the bits involving Alexei Sayle...
https://youtu.be/MHMuSA63eoA

Fawlty Towers is another one. I tried to make my son watch it but he found it boring. Although we all remember the funny bits, it's actually very patchy.

On the other hand, Blackadder has stood the test of time and is still very funny - or would be if it hadn't been repeated to death.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2018, 11:55:35 am »
A USAnian FB friend has just discovered "Miranda".  If she posts one more excerpt I am getting on the next plane to LA, buying a gun and shooting her dog >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2018, 12:02:19 pm »
Talking of clowns, there's an exhibition in Bristol (presumably coming to other places too) celebrating 250 years of clowning.
https://www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/bristol-museum-and-art-gallery/whats-on/clowns-egg-hibition/
http://circus250.com
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2018, 12:04:35 pm »
A USAnian FB friend has just discovered "Miranda".  If she posts one more excerpt I am getting on the next plane to LA, buying a gun and shooting her dog >:(

Seems a bit harsh on the dog, especially as I've never known a dog to be a fan of Miranda.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 28 September, 2018, 12:10:15 pm »

Seems a bit harsh on the dog, especially as I've never known a dog to be a fan of Miranda.

It's a King Charles Spaniel.  I never did like them.  Also it's called "Reagan".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2018, 12:19:59 pm »
I still enjoy watching old episodes of Yes Minister. Although some aspects have dated, remove the modern technology and it's hard not to imagine today's politicians being just as self-centred and shallow of thought. And the internally between the three main characters was always superb, even when Paul Eddington was so ill that almost all of his scenes required him to be behind a desk because he could barely stand up.  The Thick of It is the modern equivalent and equally funny. In both cases, it's the combination of 3D characters and brilliant dialogue.

What works for me is when the characters are suitably rounded to make their reactions to any developments in the storyline seem plausible, even if the story is in itself ridiculous. This is why Father Ted and Blackadder (except for series 1) work. You can rely on Ted to be scheming or Baldrick to fail to grasp simple facts.  On the other hand, a lot of US sitcoms and programmes such as Miranda seem to rely on the central characters saying funny things to each other as if they were collectively auditioning for a stand-up gig but fail to invest in engaging plots.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2018, 12:30:22 pm »

It's a King Charles Spaniel.  I never did like them.  Also it's called "Reagan".

OK, that's fair enough. Kill the little fucker.

« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2018, 01:35:53 pm »
Comedy is a broad church, I think there are types of humour that span wide swathes of people, just as there are those that miss many (who said Miranda? apparently some think she's funny) but I suspect that well written comedy is enjoyable on many levels and is funny to different people for different reasons.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2018, 01:48:42 pm »
I just youtubed Miranda.

I suspect that's a taste in comedy I've not acquired.

Despite trying I could never understand the comedic attraction of Fawlty Towers either.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:28:26 pm »
I would add another contribution to this thread.... but the News Quiz is about to start  :thumbsup:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:48:51 pm »
As for clowns, I don't get the fear of them – why is this even a thing? – but they're not that funny either.

It is a thing and has a posh name: coulrophobia

Re. Miranda. I never knew it was supposed to be a comedy. Always assumed it was some form of (un)reality TV. Every day is a school day

ian

« Reply #16 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:52:10 pm »
I don't like clowns. They look weird and creepy and that's before they try to stab you.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 28 September, 2018, 07:54:32 pm »
The only "comedy" I have encountered recently has been the 6.30pm stuff on Radio 4. Nothing has survived more than 5 minutes before being turned off.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #18 on: 28 September, 2018, 08:00:59 pm »
The only "comedy" I have encountered recently has been the 6.30pm stuff on Radio 4. Nothing has survived more than 5 minutes before being turned off.
That just about sums it up for me.
Blackadder and Dad's Army may be exceptions...

« Reply #19 on: 28 September, 2018, 08:11:46 pm »

Not even Old Harry’s Game?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #20 on: 29 September, 2018, 02:24:46 pm »

"Eisenhower! Schwantz!"
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #21 on: 29 September, 2018, 09:38:35 pm »
I disiked Charlie Cairoli when I was a child. He had a sidekick, an obnoxious fucker in whiteface. I absolutely loathed that bastard. Ever since then I have had it in for clowns generally, but the whitefaced arseholes in particular.

The Circus 250 thing is a celebration of circus in its entirity. There's much more to it than silly bastards.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #22 on: 29 September, 2018, 11:07:30 pm »
Not just me then . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 30 September, 2018, 08:40:44 am »

Not even Old Harry’s Game?

Is that still on? there has been nothing recently that I have found even slightly funny.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #24 on: 30 September, 2018, 08:44:26 am »
Old Harry's Game always felt like it should have "inspired By Good Omens" somewhere in the credits, and was Andy Hamilton at his best, but I think even that was stretched for too long.