Author Topic: Thermostat + time switch  (Read 1290 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Thermostat + time switch
« on: 01 October, 2019, 07:24:35 am »
This is probably one for Kim!

I want to be able to have a thermostat to control a simple electric heater connected (possibly fan/possibly convector) in my workshop  [The heater itself has a thermo control but that's too specific for the area around the heater]

Question: does a simple thermostat work like a time-switch ?  - i.e. run the power to the thermostat and then run a wire from there to the heater (ignore th actual method of connection for now) -  does the thermostat take 240v juice and control the output on/off depending on temperature?   

I was thinking of something like the https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-rts8-room-thermostat/46637  from Mr Screwfix's emporium.

Or if not suggestions please!

Thanks

Rob

Re: Thermostat + time switch
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2019, 07:44:46 am »
The answer to your question is yes, but it's not the right question. The specs say it will operate up to 230 V but also the switching load is 6 A. That is not likely to be enough for your heater unless it's a really puny one. These are intended for switching a boiler or pump, not a high load like a heater.

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2019, 08:08:07 am »
Convection/fan heaters are very dangerous when left unattended. One of the chief causes of fires.

That said, there are versions that use low-temp ceramic elements (the element never gets very hot), with tilt switches. These are "relatively" safe to be unattended.

I would still be very leery of having one unattended. So easy to get knocked over, a closing door creates a draft that blows a rag down on the heater; you get the image.

The safe option is one or more oil-filled electric rads and something to circulate the air.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2019, 08:27:18 am »

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2019, 08:43:23 am »
Convection/fan heaters are very dangerous when left unattended. One of the chief causes of fires.

That said, there are versions that use low-temp ceramic elements (the element never gets very hot), with tilt switches. These are "relatively" safe to be unattended.

I would still be very leery of having one unattended. So easy to get knocked over, a closing door creates a draft that blows a rag down on the heater; you get the image.

The safe option is one or more oil-filled electric rads and something to circulate the air.

Ah - I hadn't thought about that with the fan/convector - I'll have a look at the ceramic ones (I think we had these in a conservatory at a previous house) - or just wear a scarf until the workshop warms up  :thumbsup:

Rob

P.P.

• Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey!
    • Paul's blog
« Reply #5 on: 03 October, 2019, 06:07:16 am »
Maybe something like this would be a better bet?

https://www.toolstation.com/dimplex-slimline-panel-heater-with-timer/p10414

Thermostat and timer controlled, plus wall mountable so less likely to get knocked over if left unattended etc. A bit more expensive than a simple timer but also a lot safer.

« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2019, 12:20:30 pm »
Recently got one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F8J9P1R

I use it in conjunction with a wifi 'smartplug' that turns it on and off. Works ok, but not sure the thermometer is calibrated quite right.