Author Topic: KMX Venom  (Read 5437 times)

KMX Venom
« on: 25 October, 2013, 11:29:33 am »
Anyone got an opinion about the KMX Venom?
https://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/Recumbent-Trikes/KMX-Performance/KMX-Venom-Adults-Sports-Trike.aspx

I'm looking for a trike mainly for my commute through winter.   Me and ice (of the slippery frozen water kind) don't get on, I've got metalwork in my hip and shoulder from separate ice related mishaps and I don't want any more!
I might even get hooked and ride it much more often!

I've also been considering an ICE Sprint 26 but that is more expensive.

On other posts people have been saying that KMXs are slow, what is it that makes them slow? Is its drive train friction or rolling resistance?  Weight wise there's not much between the Sprint and the Venom, the Venom is actually slightly lighter.

Any thoughts?
Eddington: 114 Miles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: KMX Venom
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2013, 02:02:25 pm »
I guarantee that the ICE Sprint is a better engineered machine, especially with regard to steering dynamics and range of accessories.  KMX trikes are built to be cheap and sturdy, rather than refined touring machines.

Whether that's worth the difference for you is harder to say.  What you really need to do is test ride them (shouldn't be too hard to find an ICE dealer, not sure about KMX).

These trikes are slow for several reasons:  They're heavy (though obviously that only matters when climbing).  They're substantially less aerodynamic than an equivalent recumbent bicycle.  They've got the additional rolling resistance of a third wheel and hub.  They're recumbent, which means riders not adapted to riding recumbents will find them harder work.  Drivetrain losses are probably measureable, but I think they're overrated.  It's not like any of it actually gets hot or anything.

Careful choice of tyres will make a huge difference to trike performance, moreso than on a bicycle.

I'd also suggest that something with a bit more ground clearance is likely to be beneficial if you see yourself riding through much snow slush.  You can do it on a sprint (preferably the 26, or with a hub gear - derailleur-equipped 20" wheels aren't good in the snow), but you do tend to get a wet bottom.

Whatever you go for, I approve of a trike as an alternative to falling off in winter.  Cycling is so much safer when the worst the road surface can do is wreck a tyre.

« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2013, 02:04:11 pm »
Test ride both, tis the only way, ICE are thoroughbreds in the trike field and they ride and handle brilliantly, KMC are ok but not (shall we say) so refined.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2013, 03:33:09 pm »
Cheers for the advice, esp regarding the rear wheel size.  I was swinging in favour of the 26" rear anyway as I prefer the aesthetics and possible better rolling resistance,  but hadn't considered rear mech snow clearance.   

I guess really I'm trying to justify the extra £££ of the ICE - it is a better spec & I like the fact it folds - will be loads easier to store at home.

Thanks

« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2013, 06:10:02 pm »
Heart and mind seem to be going for the ICE  ;) if you are near North(ish) Oxfordshire pm me and will arrange to let you try mine, re 26 or 20 inch wheels some people are put off by the 26 being a little higher geared, tis not a problem majority of the time and if you really want you can get a 11/34 rear cluster and drop the front inner ring to 26 or even 24 teeth.
     Barbara started with a 20 inch rear, I lusted after a Monster (Never have I seen a second hand Monster) so after going through every option possible to convert my original Q-NT to Monster style spec (driving Kevin at D-tek bonkers) I ended getting a Black 26 Sprint, I was so convinced it went off the line quicker that I persuaded Barbara to swop on a fairly hilly regular ride of ours, she agreed about accelerating quicker and my poor wallet was made to bleed as I purchased a 26 rear end for hers.
      Beware ICE trikes are addictive, huge smile making totally brilliant ways of moving my sad little body around. 
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2013, 06:33:52 pm »
Cheers for the advice, esp regarding the rear wheel size.  I was swinging in favour of the 26" rear anyway as I prefer the aesthetics and possible better rolling resistance,  but hadn't considered rear mech snow clearance.

The other issue is long grass (which is a hazard on campsites and the like, even if you're not really off-roading on it), which gets shredded and packed into the chain tubes unless you have the foresight to engage a small:small gear to raise the mech off the ground.

Otherwise, long cage derailleurs and 20" wheels seem to work fine.

The main advantage to the smaller wheel is that the fold is better with a luggage rack fitted, a slightly shorter overall length for easier negotiation of Silly Sustrans Gates, and that you've only got one size of tyre to deal with.

« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2013, 07:02:53 pm »
All true Kim, being an idle b*****d I have always dropped to a low gear when going onto a camp site and also if truth be known have been plain lucky re grass.
      Folding, although folding is quick and simple I always find it irritating, I take the offside mudguard with bracket off (one bolt) and stuff a sponge between rack and wheel held by bungy cord, I have an expedition rack which exacerbates any annoying problems.
      Maybe Samsung could invent a folding trike that you blink at and it wizzes into a fag size packet  ;D

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2013, 07:08:22 pm »
A friend bought a KMX and has had loads of trouble with it - they just aren't constructed as well as an ICE Trike.

I have two ICE trikes, one has done 26,000 miles and the other 18,000. It would be a rare KMX that makes 10,000.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2013, 07:12:37 pm »
You been stopping in a lot  ;) (only joking onest)

« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2013, 11:40:39 am »
Update........

I'm now the proud owner of a KMX Venom! :)

Thanks for all the comments - all taken on board. & thanks Quint for the offer of ride on one of your trikes.

Basically, a reality check Re my finances meant that I'd have to n-1 to pay for an ICE n+1.5.

So, last week I set off darn sarf to KMX to have a go on their demo trikes with a view that if I liked the Venom and,  just as importantly, fitted on it (I'm 6'5") I'd get one.

So, I had a good hour or so trying out the Venom and, just for fun an unrestricted electric assist Cobra - now that put a smile on my face! 
All was good, it fitted me with loads of boom extension to spare, the seat was comfy & it handled well once I got used to the quick response direct steering (although admittedly I've not got anything to compare it to).

Back home and after a bit of fettling and fitting of mudguards, lights & a klic-fix bar bag attachment to the seat it was time for a ride.  A 75km loop of some of Derbyshire's flatter roads later and all is good. I probably averaged a similar speed to I would on my DF commuter bike (rack, mudguards, marathon supreme's, dynohub etc) and according to strava within a few seconds of it on some of the same climbs.  So I'm pleased with this, and may well get quicker once my legs adjust (I did get sore glutes towards the end of the ride) and I get more confidence to just let it go on the descents - I maxed out at 55km/h. 

I've got some new marathon racer tyres on order as I did get a piece of glass through the stock Kenda's - it seemed to cut through very easily.  &  I might upgrade the chainset as the triple is a bit 'John Wayne'.  A compact double will do me fine with the stock wide ratio 11-32 cassette.

I will try a commute once the new tyres arrive.  This morning was borderline icy,  so looks like I've got the trike just in time.

I have now joined the dark side!

« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2013, 12:09:53 pm »
Well done, enjoy, could I recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres from West Country Recumbents (best price), they are fast and very P Fairy resistant, it will take a few miles to get your recumbent muscles in trim just don't over do it, sounds like many happy miles to come.   ;D

« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2013, 12:38:21 pm »
Thanks for the tip of West Country Recumbents, didn't think of them for tyres (greenspeeds are way out of my league!) ,  I could have got marathon supremes for not much more than SJS are doing the Racers! :facepalm:

They're localish to me too (despite their name) ,  could have ridden there and picked em up.

Was thinking maybe of some quicker tyres for summer, Kojaks or Duranos, though will need to check my wheel rim width for the latter.

« Reply #12 on: 13 November, 2013, 01:05:43 pm »
I don't know of other peoples experiences but my daughter has Kojaks on her Cannondale and tiny pieces of glass that the Supremes laugh  at go straight through the Kojaks, the one thing I didn't realise is that a lot of tyres are now (on manufacturers web site) showing weight limits, how this would affect trikes interests me (not weight as I am 12st5lbs) but as there are three tyres and the weight is distributed more widely.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 13 November, 2013, 01:13:22 pm »
So, I had a good hour or so trying out the Venom and, just for fun an unrestricted electric assist Cobra - now that put a smile on my face!

I believe they're using the Falco Hx hub motor.  I've just finished building one of those (with road legal limiting) into barakta's ICE Sprint.  Lovely piece of kit.

All was good, it fitted me with loads of boom extension to spare, the seat was comfy & it handled well once I got used to the quick response direct steering (although admittedly I've not got anything to compare it to).

It's a bit like a Catrike.  Very different feel to ICE and similar.  Rather fun for hooning round car parks like a maniac high speed cornering.

Back home and after a bit of fettling and fitting of mudguards, lights & a klic-fix bar bag attachment to the seat it was time for a ride.  A 75km loop of some of Derbyshire's flatter roads later and all is good. I probably averaged a similar speed to I would on my DF commuter bike (rack, mudguards, marathon supreme's, dynohub etc) and according to strava within a few seconds of it on some of the same climbs.  So I'm pleased with this, and may well get quicker once my legs adjust (I did get sore glutes towards the end of the ride) and I get more confidence to just let it go on the descents - I maxed out at 55km/h. 

That sounds very promising.   :thumbsup:

I've got some new marathon racer tyres on order as I did get a piece of glass through the stock Kenda's - it seemed to cut through very easily.  &  I might upgrade the chainset as the triple is a bit 'John Wayne'.  A compact double will do me fine with the stock wide ratio 11-32 cassette.

I'd second Quint's suggestion of Marathon Supreme (or even regular Marathon) over Marathon Racers.  Consensus is that the Racers are a bit underwhelming in all aspects, but I expect they're still a fair improvement on the Kendas.

I bought a set of Kojaks for barakta to use in summer, mainly because they were fairly cheap.  They're grippy, quick and easy to get on and off, if not particularly puncture resistant.  Being completely slick, they're rubbish on anything loose.

I have now joined the dark side!

We have cookies...  :demon:

« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2013, 01:36:57 pm »
I'd second Quint's suggestion of Marathon Supreme (or even regular Marathon) over Marathon Racers.  Consensus is that the Racers are a bit underwhelming in all aspects, but I expect they're still a fair improvement on the Kendas.

Hmmm,  I've used 700x35mm Marathons and Marathon Supremes on my DF bike and was hoping the Racers would fall somewhere between the two performance wise. 

I guess I could always send the Racers back and take a trip to Westcountry Recumbents ;D

« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2013, 01:44:18 pm »
I'm another one who likes the supremes over the racers.
The ones I've got on Sprint have done just over 5,000 miles.

I tried the trykers, fast and good grip but I found that they picked up flints.

« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2013, 01:45:01 pm »
I believe they're using the Falco Hx hub motor.  I've just finished building one of those (with road legal limiting) into barakta's ICE Sprint.  Lovely piece of kit.
Yep, that's the one.
http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/KMX-Electric-Trike.aspx
The one I played with had an over ride switch to de limit - not on the Queen's highway of course ;D