Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356058 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1375 on: 29 August, 2020, 11:39:19 pm »
When I tried this my laptop ground to a halt because I opened too many at once.

It's a really good way to use lots of RAM.  I managed to tab off 20 at a time, go and do something else for a couple of minutes, then flip through the tabs closing them.  Got a bit quicker as the rides got shorter.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1376 on: 30 August, 2020, 12:28:13 am »
On today's ride tilebagging round Ashford, I discovered that a road I had planned to take no longer exists - it is a building site, and will eventually be a new housing estate.

Looking back at it on the map later, I noticed that a nearby tile was a false positive... argh! Annoying. I could have ticked it off properly today if I'd known before.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1377 on: 30 August, 2020, 04:34:25 pm »
Got a bit quicker as the rides got shorter.
By the time they're shorter you'd likely not get false positives anyway?
I had a bunch of commutes I largely ignored.

« Reply #1378 on: 30 August, 2020, 04:48:00 pm »
Finally bagged Reading (N of M4).  Cluster 1634.   Also regained one of the false positives - but needed to climb Whitchurch Hill out of Pangbourne, & Long Toll.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

« Reply #1379 on: 30 August, 2020, 05:08:15 pm »
Also regained one of the false positives - but needed to climb Whitchurch Hill out of Pangbourne & Long Toll.

The hardest-earned tiles are the most satisfying, right?

« Reply #1380 on: 30 August, 2020, 07:28:18 pm »
 :)  Was a little relieved not to have missed any tiles in my 'one-ride-to-bag-em-all' Reading excursion...  I follow a simple gpx track with inserted waypoints (in RWGPS) to indicate I have a 'spur' turning, and then another waypoint roughly at the about turn point.  Completely missed a turn, and so tile, in the Cotswolds several weeks back.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Davef

« Reply #1381 on: 30 August, 2020, 07:33:22 pm »
I went from 47x47 to 36x36 as I lost critical square. I was going through the village in question today and it needed only a 100m detour. Stopped at pub for lunch in village. Just arrived home and realised I forgot the 100m detour. Still back at 36x36
Got the pesky blighter - back at 47x47

citoyen

« Reply #1382 on: 30 August, 2020, 07:43:37 pm »
Went down to Dungeness today (walking rather than cycling) and picked up the tile behind the power station which I previously believed to be inaccessible - turns out the coastal path goes round it on the beach side (though there are signs warning that the land is power station property all the way down to mean high tide mark).

Might have continued a bit further but we'd already done a few miles down from Greatstone, and were getting worn out from being battered by the wind and walking on the shingle beach.

The coastal path looks like it would be rideable on a gravel bike or MTB, which would be a good way to tick off those tiles on the stretch from Dungeness up to Rye.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1383 on: 31 August, 2020, 10:58:41 pm »

Spent the day at IJmuiden ferry waiting for RatN riders to come though. In a gap between riders I did a 17k loop out and bagged another couple of tiles. Cluster up 6. Tile count up 3.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1384 on: 31 August, 2020, 11:33:28 pm »
Got a bit quicker as the rides got shorter.
By the time they're shorter you'd likely not get false positives anyway?
I had a bunch of commutes I largely ignored.

Yeah.  I have a lot of my regular routes near home, which can safely be ignored.  Some of the short rides are important though, typically off-road rides and shorter social rides away from home (fortunately, they tend to have interesting names, so are easy to spot in the list).  There were a couple of utility rides into the Wet Midlands Badlands that bagged tiles I have no desire to revisit, but I think I loaded those ones manually when I started taking this seriously, at around the time I managed to retrospectively bag a load of Cannock Chase by un-corrupting an archived GPX file (it was raining).

« Reply #1385 on: 01 September, 2020, 07:20:22 am »
I clicked on every ride longer than 20k and reckoned that that was good enough.  Kim's point about short, remote rides got me thinking.  Rather than looking for interesting ride names in the list it is far easier to filter on 'Tiles calculated = No' and look at the map.  If you turn off the cluster and the max square and hit refresh you can easily spot the strays.

citoyen

« Reply #1386 on: 01 September, 2020, 10:45:18 am »
I clicked on every ride longer than 20k and reckoned that that was good enough.  Kim's point about short, remote rides got me thinking.  Rather than looking for interesting ride names in the list it is far easier to filter on 'Tiles calculated = No' and look at the map.  If you turn off the cluster and the max square and hit refresh you can easily spot the strays.

Clever!

« Reply #1387 on: 01 September, 2020, 02:33:51 pm »
It's quiet at work. I've done all the IRL rides.

Glad it's a one-time adventure.

citoyen

« Reply #1388 on: 02 September, 2020, 09:37:35 am »
Having been through and calculated all activities >30km, I have lost just one key tile in my cluster, which takes my max square back down to 17 - another one of those mildly annoying ones that I could easily have ticked off on one of my recent rides if I'd known about it. Pah!

Not going to bother checking the 1600+ sub-30km rides/runs. There will be an awful lot of repeats among them - around 200 of them will be my local parkrun, and then there's the route I used back when I was running 2-3 lunchtimes a week... Using the filters and scanning over the map, it doesn't look like there are any controversial tiles left, so that'll do.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1389 on: 02 September, 2020, 01:31:46 pm »

Ah, good idea.  Found a couple of strays, re-calculated and all is still well.   :thumbsup:

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1390 on: 02 September, 2020, 09:20:37 pm »
Done mine while at the relative ease of only 1200 activities.  I used a mix of sort by length and opening the outliers from the map.  +10 tiles, zero change on square & cluster (I'd already revisited my only known false positive).  Sadly, that leaves 900 activities in my 3 small 'been there a zillion times' zones. 
Thus only 1 in 4 of my rides are interesting. 
Demoralising :-(
So many rides recorded by Excel log in the pre-GPS days.  But they ain't on strava so they don't exist.  Poo.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #1391 on: 06 September, 2020, 05:36:47 pm »
Yesterday, I went out on a tile bagging excursion out to the Eastern edge of my cluster.

Managed to bag 38 new squares but filled in plenty of gaps, so my cluster went up by 78 to 3230.

Was pleased to be able to get a couple of squares on the Welbeck estate near Worksop which are tricky ones as it's private, but there was no one around when I got there (probably helped by the fact that it was early and that it was pissing it down) so I sneaked in and a rode the kilometre or so down the forest track to get both the squares.

(I entered )

So I'm now on 3 overlapping 48x48 max square and a 3230 cluster.

It looks like you're a bit blocked in by Cities and will have to go urban soon.

My max square is in a similar area to yours PeeJay, although considerably smaller! My plan is to tidy up around Melton/Syston and north of Leicester and use that (for now at least) as my SE corner before heading into Staffs/Derbys/Notts to fill in some gaps and see where that gets me.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1392 on: 06 September, 2020, 08:55:36 pm »
A fantastic day exploring roads I'd never have used without this game.

+1 square
+41 cluster
- 6 tiles but that's a self induced glitch, I figured out how to delete a route I was falsely credited.  I think it was +18 tiles really.
E+1 metric
E+1 inperial
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #1393 on: 06 September, 2020, 09:14:46 pm »
Shakalaka boom my square now includes my current house.

BN: Next up can only be Sunderland.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1394 on: 07 September, 2020, 12:16:02 am »
No progress on my square (apart from filling in those gaps caused by re-sampling), but I managed to get close enough to the army munitions depot to count, without any boom.

*bzzt* repetition.

citoyen

« Reply #1395 on: 07 September, 2020, 09:07:23 am »
So dangerous they warned you twice!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1396 on: 07 September, 2020, 11:12:38 am »
Finally got two tricky squares around the A12 dual carriageway in Harold Hill at the weekend, as well as some gravelly bits in mid Essex :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #1397 on: 07 September, 2020, 01:36:45 pm »
I've been a bit absent from tile hunting for the last month, and now that group riding is allowed in Scotland my focus will switch to that.

But I have managed to pick up a few rogue times on my travels;

10166 Tiles (+41)
Max Square is still 18x18
734 Cluster  (+4)

@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #1398 on: 08 September, 2020, 08:40:47 am »
Russel dont you enjoy the thrill and the uncertainty of your front wheel rolling thro places new to your Strava and veloviewer account ?   I Take it the Gala series has started?  Is it a rehash of the usual old routes or anything different?

« Reply #1399 on: 08 September, 2020, 10:30:11 am »
Russel dont you enjoy the thrill and the uncertainty of your front wheel rolling thro places new to your Strava and veloviewer account ?   I Take it the Gala series has started?  Is it a rehash of the usual old routes or anything different?

I was meaning Sunday Club runs, rather than Audax really.

I enjoy being out on my bike, with friends, and stopping for a coffee.

Where I go is relatively unimportant.
@CorbieLinnRider