Author Topic: Trikes on planes  (Read 2313 times)

Trikes on planes
« on: 13 December, 2011, 09:10:22 am »
Hoping to buy an ICE sprint next year, just wondered if there is anyone on the forum who has experience of taking them on planes. Is it possible ? I know it's not very green, but I travel to Sweden a lot and woudl like to use the trike there, driving or cycling there isn't really a viable option, at least not until I've retired !
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Trikes on planes
« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2011, 09:20:10 am »
Fold it, box it and keep the weight down to under the limit and fly with it as "sporting equipment".  This is how I got my penny to Oz in February.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2011, 09:33:16 am »
Buy two.  Keep one in each country.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2011, 09:47:46 am »
That thought had crossed my mind. I don't want to push my luck though, I've got away with the idea of buying one as a 50th birthday present to myself, don't think I can swing (or afford) a second one ! Not unless I sell the other half's shoe collection  ;D
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2011, 12:01:09 pm »
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking snatrikes on this motherfucking plane!
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 13 December, 2011, 12:26:56 pm »
I haven't flown with a trike but last year flew my ICE B2 on Easyjet. You have to pay for a bike anyway. Once it is in a box who can tell? I removed the seat and packed it along with my hold luggage. I used an oversize box as well (compared to a standard bike carton) I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be OK.

Cheers

John

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 13 December, 2011, 02:15:06 pm »
The thought of shipping cycles by plane fills me with dread, but given sufficient folding/dismantlement[1] you can fit about 1.5 Sprints in a standard bike bag.  Keep an eye on the weight limit and protect the delicate bits with bubblewrap and you're sorted.  Don't forget to deflate the tyres: a fail in GCSE physics appears to be compulsory for check-in staff.

[1] Sounds like it'll be worth investing in the optional quick releases kit, which makes removing the front wheels and shortening the boom simpler.

« Reply #7 on: 13 December, 2011, 02:20:13 pm »
Or you could try this:

<i>Marmite slave</i>