Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940530 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8375 on: 11 April, 2019, 03:21:31 pm »
Shazam, with my 11 year-old.  He loved it. We both laughed a fair bit.

There's some of the usual nonsense thrown in just because they're shooting in 3D and they could have trimmed 10-15 minutes, but it's good harmless fun. 

Usually, I can't stand this genre but this was sufficiently self-mocking to make it entertaining. Hopefully, by the time he gets interested in the whole action superhero franchise he'll be preferring to go to the cinema with his friends and I won't have to sit through them.  Three episodes of The Hobbit was bad enough.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8376 on: 11 April, 2019, 04:31:42 pm »
Lawrence of Arabia whilst I whizzed along at 38000 feet the other day. I don't think  I've  watched the whole thing before.  A Thing Wot I Learnt: Nic Roeg was the 2nd unit director.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8377 on: 23 April, 2019, 09:39:47 am »
Us

Brilliant. Not quite as brilliant as Get Out, I thought, but my son was completely bowled over by it. Properly scary in a classic horror way - all the boxes are ticked but it's classy rather than cliché. Also very funny. Its real strength is the main characters, who are well rounded, well written and very well acted. You really feel for them.

I'm not going to say any more about it because spoilers - tbh, I think they already gave away too much in the trailer. But fortunately there's a lot more to it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8378 on: 23 April, 2019, 10:09:00 am »
It's telling that when you type US into Google it brings up the film first and not a well-known once-great Country.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8379 on: 23 April, 2019, 10:12:56 am »
Jordan Peele is much more fashionable than Donald Trump.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8380 on: 23 April, 2019, 10:46:11 am »
Never heard of him. Peele, that is. Alas.

BTW, last night we rewatched Big Fish.  Lovely film.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8381 on: 23 April, 2019, 12:09:20 pm »
Young Frankenstein

Going by the colour and production style, I reckon this was released in about 1928? Written/starring some guys called Brooks/Wilder - anyone heard of them?

For me this has long been a much-hyped cult classic that it seems like everyone should see (like Spinal Tap, Rocky Horror and Life of Brian). So I was worried that I'd really hate it ...

But no! It was good. Not a nailed-on classic, but a good-un, and you have to admire their dedication to the genre, and what they were trying to achieve. fantastic straight acting in ludicrous scenes, everyone really nailed it. (I didn't know Terry Garr was in it!!  :D :thumbsup:  :-*
Her first movie? )

We laughed a lot.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuzzy

« Reply #8382 on: 23 April, 2019, 11:29:33 pm »
Mom and Dad
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5462326/
A bit of an entertaining dark comedy starring Nick Cage. Parents go nuts and kill their kids.

Shouldn't be funny but it was.

Recommended.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8383 on: 24 April, 2019, 07:34:20 am »
Avengers Endgame started showing last night at 23:55... And is four hours long. I'll wait until the fuss dies down I think.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8384 on: 24 April, 2019, 07:37:17 am »
Young Frankenstein

Going by the colour and production style, I reckon this was released in about 1928? Written/starring some guys called Brooks/Wilder - anyone heard of them?

For me this has long been a much-hyped cult classic that it seems like everyone should see (like Spinal Tap, Rocky Horror and Life of Brian). So I was worried that I'd really hate it ...

But no! It was good. Not a nailed-on classic, but a good-un, and you have to admire their dedication to the genre, and what they were trying to achieve. fantastic straight acting in ludicrous scenes, everyone really nailed it. (I didn't know Terry Garr was in it!!  :D :thumbsup:  :-*
Her first movie? )

We laughed a lot.

My favourite line: "Ain't got no body and nobody cares for me"
https://youtu.be/ZP08VQEWyOw
:-D

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #8385 on: 24 April, 2019, 02:07:14 pm »
I am currently watching 'Bridget Jones' in Spanish.  Yesterday something tripped the fusebox whilst I was watching Netflix.  Once I sorted that out I went back to my programme only to find that the settings had changed and I now have Netflix in Spanish with English subtitles.  I have found out how to change it back, but have left it.  I am having fun with the Spanish translations.

En cambio elijo vodka y Chaka Khan   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I also now know how to swear in Spanish.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8386 on: 24 April, 2019, 02:12:59 pm »
Ooh, if you want to swear good in Spanish, watch all the series of Narcos - semi-subtitled in Spanish so you have no choice to find out - in which ever language you choose on Netflix - though I guess if you switch to German or something it could get really hooky ;)

And there was I thinking 'cabrone' meant 'friend'  :jurek:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

lou boutin

« Reply #8387 on: 24 April, 2019, 02:20:20 pm »
Recent films

1) The Return of Mary Poppins.  I was skeptical, but it was charming.
2) Fantastical Beasts 2:  Typical of the potteresque genre.
3) Bohemian Rhapsody:  I enjoyed it.   I did a lot of cat spotting though
4) The Iron Lady:  Interesting.
5) The Secret Life of Pets:  It amused me.
6) Independence Day - Resurgence: Much in the ilk as the first movie.  I do like films with kick-ass female characters, but apparently, women have to young and drop dead gorgeous before they can be kick ass.
7) Still Alice.  About an American Professor who had early onset dementia.  It scared the jaheebees out of me and made me cry.  It was a bit close to home for me to have watched this.
8 ) The Festival - rather funny.
9) A Star is Born:  Lady Gaga has an amazing voice.  I was rather confused when this was released because I managed to get Bradley Walsh and Bradley Cooper confused.  There are no big surprises if you have seen the 1970s Streisand version, but both Cooper and Gaga were amazing. 
10) Austenland - it killed a few hours and amused me.  Say no more!!

lou boutin

« Reply #8388 on: 24 April, 2019, 02:25:55 pm »
Ooh, if you want to swear good in Spanish, watch all the series of Narcos - semi-subtitled in Spanish so you have no choice to find out - in which ever language you choose on Netflix - though I guess if you switch to German or something it could get really hooky ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  That could have been an interesting conversation.

I learned that one when I was in Spain the time before last.  My friend has a house there and some kids were sitting on her step and being a pain, so she told them to go away.  They started mouthing off, so we looked up 'bajarme de mi paso, pequeño carbrone y llevarte en bici contigo.'  It became the phrase of the day

caerau

« Reply #8389 on: 24 April, 2019, 03:19:49 pm »
I had two mates a few years ago, one from Mexico, the other from California.  The latter just called the former 'cabrone' routinely and more or less as a greeting so I just assumed...

Though I think it can well be used between close friends in that manner to be fair. A bit like us brits sometimes do with our close friends to be fair (meet my mate Steve, he's a real tosser...that sort of thing :-D )

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8390 on: 24 April, 2019, 03:35:01 pm »

Back when carbon bikes were still pricey a bloke we occasionally rode with got one and never missed a chance to mention it. My Spanish chum Augustín and I took to calling him "el cabrón" and pretending we were talking about the bike. He never twigged.

ian

« Reply #8391 on: 25 April, 2019, 01:14:15 pm »
Up to Dr Strange now (though come on, surely a surgeon wouldn't lower themselves to being a Dr*)

*I know, America.

caerau

« Reply #8392 on: 25 April, 2019, 01:40:59 pm »
You got me on this one - though not quite as thoroughly.  We watched Antman and the Wasp and Avengers Assemble at the weekend.  I nearly got the ewif to watch Ragnarok also, but she insisted on - shock and wailing of gnashed teeth - The Dark Knight Rises  :hand: :jurek:   (OK, it's cool really ;) )

OK, I had forgotten just how much fun Avengers Assemble was  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8393 on: 25 April, 2019, 06:06:10 pm »
Avengers Endgame. Awesome, I may have cried a little bit too

ian

« Reply #8394 on: 25 April, 2019, 07:08:37 pm »
I have until May 5th to complete the marathon, so if any spoilers Endgame, it'll be endgame for them too.

caerau

« Reply #8395 on: 26 April, 2019, 09:41:42 am »
Tomorrow I will mostly be watching Avengers Endgame. 8)

Quick, spoiler-avoiding scout of imdb and rotten tomatoes..... 90-95% on both, from both critics and audience.  OK, probs a bit soon for a true measure.... but..... now rather giddily excited....

I must watch something adult at some point..... (no, not *that* adult ;)))

Chris S

« Reply #8396 on: 26 April, 2019, 05:27:52 pm »
If anyone needs some help catching up with the Avengers, we can recommend this Cram It: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sb8LBeaQQ

We watched it, in preparation for Infinity War, which I still hadn't seen - but sadly, I ran out of Fucks to give and gave up part way into IW. They can all die in Endgame for all I care; and is it REALLY four hours long? Jeez - I think I'd rather ride an audax1!

----------
1 Anyone who knows me will know just how low an ebb I am on audaxing right now.

ian

« Reply #8397 on: 26 April, 2019, 05:38:07 pm »
It's 3 hours long and everyone who's been has told me it's awesome and no one has yet spoilered it. Which means I've not yet had to murder anyone.

caerau

« Reply #8398 on: 27 April, 2019, 10:04:31 pm »
Awesome?  .... yes, yes it is  8) :thumbsup: :-D

And surprisingly- not at all what I was expecting for much of it - which is what impressed me most about it. A great finale

rob

« Reply #8399 on: 28 April, 2019, 07:46:41 pm »
Awesome?  .... yes, yes it is  8) :thumbsup: :-D

And surprisingly- not at all what I was expecting for much of it - which is what impressed me most about it. A great finale

I have not been to a film where everyone applauded at the end for a long time.   Every last minute was brilliant.   J cried several times and he’s nearly a teenager.

I was never a comic reader but following the MCU for the last few years has been an experience and one of the few things that we have done as a family.   There is a gap to fill.