Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356177 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1325 on: 17 August, 2020, 12:48:51 pm »
37 new tiles today, cluster up to 1360.
I am going to need a map update at some point Pingu!  ;)
Your area is the only one I have much real feel for the roads, so always good to see  :thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1326 on: 17 August, 2020, 01:13:31 pm »

Clicked on one of my rides from a couple of years back, magically gained an extra tile... Win...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1327 on: 17 August, 2020, 01:54:09 pm »
Your area is the only one I have much real feel for the roads, so always good to see  :thumbsup:

Here you go:

vv_cluster_20200816 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #1328 on: 17 August, 2020, 02:59:32 pm »
Yesterday, I went out on a tile bagging excursion out to the Eastern edge of my cluster.

Managed to bag 38 new squares but filled in plenty of gaps, so my cluster went up by 78 to 3230.

Was pleased to be able to get a couple of squares on the Welbeck estate near Worksop which are tricky ones as it's private, but there was no one around when I got there (probably helped by the fact that it was early and that it was pissing it down) so I sneaked in and a rode the kilometre or so down the forest track to get both the squares.

(I entered )

So I'm now on 3 overlapping 48x48 max square and a 3230 cluster.

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #1329 on: 17 August, 2020, 11:03:24 pm »
Here you go:

Cheers  :thumbsup: Great to see.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1330 on: 17 August, 2020, 11:13:28 pm »
Took the long way to the shop today.

Had never been up Glen Fincastle before and had spotted a route onto the top road of Allen forest. Missed the stone circle but found Loch Bhat which is a fishing Loch.
Well graded tracks in the forest meant the marsthon pluses mostly did fine but I needed the 22x36 on occasion
A bit of "misreading" of signs later (I'm sure they said "don't climb on timber stacks" rather than "keep oot") I found myself in areas of active forestry work before the descent but it turned out to be one forester and his harvester off to the side so got away with it.
Although the gate at the Bohspic Road was locked so had a heavy lift to do.
Intended heading to the Rannoch shop but after 2km heading west and realising it was too far past lunchtime I bailed on that plan in favour of the Tummel Bridge shop and a seemingly risk return up the hill to the caravan.

Claimed a few new tiles and I'm now looking at the tracks over to Blair Atholl and over to Strath Tay to get much more from the caravan.
I think if I'm not heading to the western Isles next week I might come back with the car, and mtb and a plan. (hiking kit is already here but I didn't use it when I wandered up into the forest yesterday )

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

simonp

« Reply #1331 on: 17 August, 2020, 11:22:15 pm »
I'm up to 15x15 now. Will need a couple of 80-100km rides to get it to 16x16 or more.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1332 on: 20 August, 2020, 04:31:50 pm »
Up to 10x10
Some corrections today:
I visited a square I had previously been incorrectly credited due to some appalling logging  by my Garmin.  The square is legitimately mine now.  +8 tiles for the day but +9 including the 'repeat'

I have a friends track in my account (clearly marked as not mine) back from my Pennine Bridleway write up.  I'd like to remove it from my totals, Does anyone know how this can be done?  I tried changing it to a virtual ride, VV spotted it had changed but didn't remove it from my Explorer totals.  Changing it to Workout had no effect at all.  This track is falsely giving me 40 tiles, my 3304 should be 3264

[edit] Just checked the PROW map for Herefordshire and found I did my first bit of trespass today.   A track I used is marked as a service road on OSM so cycle.travel allowed it.  There were no signs so I made mental note to check.  OSM updated with private tags.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1333 on: 20 August, 2020, 05:08:17 pm »
Just been planning a ride to pick off some tiles on the Isle of Sheppey. Unfortunately, the northwest tip of Sheppey is inaccessible as it's part of the port...

...but looking more closely at the map, I noticed a path heading out to what looks a tiny island off the Isle of Grain, just across the water, which conveniently lies in that inaccessible tile. Hang on, I thought, I know what that is - it's the ex-military fort I read about in the local news just this morning:
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/no-1-the-thames-back-on-market-for-1-5m-232289/

Might have to pose as a prospective buyer for an excuse to visit!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1334 on: 20 August, 2020, 05:14:26 pm »
Looking at the satellite view it'd be much easier to nip into the tile by foot along the hardcore to the side of the sluiceway South of there.

Given the number of other water only tiles around there it may just be easier to go kayaking with someone one weekend (going sea kayaking alone isn't particularly clever).

On my own attempts, assuming MiniGB goes back to school I'll have Monday's back to go tile hunting. Have my long term goal of the inside of the M25 to do as that pretty much stopped when I broke my ankle last year.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #1335 on: 20 August, 2020, 05:49:14 pm »
Looking at the satellite view it'd be much easier to nip into the tile by foot along the hardcore to the side of the sluiceway South of there.

Oh yes, I see what you mean. Good thinking. Although looking at street view, it's quite well fenced off...

Tbh, if I went at low tide, I wouldn't have to go all the way along the causeway to the tower to nick the tile, so that might still be the easiest option.

Definitely fancy the sea kayaking option as well.

Overall, Sheppey is going to take a few visits to tick off - can do most of it in one go on a road bike, but the southern half of the island is more walking/MTB territory.

« Reply #1336 on: 20 August, 2020, 06:02:36 pm »

Oh yes, I see what you mean. Good thinking. Although looking at street view, it's quite well fenced off...

There is a public footpath all the way along the edge of the water/mudflats with easy access from Port Victoria Road: https://goo.gl/maps/csDf7FQtFJnpDcxu5

« Reply #1337 on: 20 August, 2020, 06:07:28 pm »

There is a public footpath all the way along the edge of the water/mudflats with easy access from Port Victoria Road: https://goo.gl/maps/csDf7FQtFJnpDcxu5

There's another one a bit closer: https://goo.gl/maps/8xbLcfoRpBAuHqLeA
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1338 on: 20 August, 2020, 06:12:52 pm »
I believe that this is what it looks like when you get there:

« Reply #1339 on: 20 August, 2020, 08:54:36 pm »
Easy  ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1340 on: 20 August, 2020, 09:02:09 pm »

Ooph. After a year or so of no movement on square or cluster, in a week I've got it up by 69. Now at 712. Not as satisfying as 666, but it now goes all the way to Utrecht. I need to fill in the gaps between Utrecht and Hilversum. And From Utrecht to Alphen. But it's positive movement. A few more rides, and I should be able to get my square to move close to Utrecht, and stop being limited by the Noord Holland Peninsular...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ef44AFmWAAYqEPH.jpg

Boom, now upto Max Cluster: 829. A single ride joined the dots up all the way to Rotterdam. A 117 increase from a single ride...

ETA: Looks like I bagged 18 extra tiles, on todays ride to get the extra 117 cluster boost. Total now at 10474. Square still at 17x17
--

simonp

« Reply #1341 on: 20 August, 2020, 09:09:57 pm »
That’s good going. I’ve got a group of tiles around Bristol which will probably only take 1-2 tiles to connect. Most of my tiles are narrow corridors on audax rides

« Reply #1342 on: 20 August, 2020, 10:03:25 pm »
Out of sheer coinkydink my last two squarebagging rides have both resulted in a cluster increase of 33. Originally both were from a new tiles count of 9 but a replot actually means that it was 10 and 9 for the two rides.

I ought to go out for another this weekend but I haven't plotted a route yet. And it's meant to be windy so rather than going too far afield I might just go for a bike ride instead.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

citoyen

« Reply #1343 on: 21 August, 2020, 08:56:00 am »
I believe that this is what it looks like when you get there:

Hmmmm. For comparison, this is the causeway to the tower at low tide: https://flic.kr/p/fp5HTh

Anyway, I'm not likely to get out to the Isle of Grain any time soon - still quite a few tiles closer to home to tick off before I head over that way. But I'll be sure to keep you all posted when I do.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1344 on: 22 August, 2020, 08:58:52 am »

I'm on a riding mission to get my cluster to the coast, at what point in the estuary can I claim to meet the sea, Portishead maybe or even Weston  ??? Linking to Bristol should be easy today.

« Reply #1345 on: 22 August, 2020, 09:06:48 am »
Slightly beyond second Severn bridge to be sure of Estuary?   :)

Definitions of the limits of the Severn Estuary vary. A narrower definition adopted by some maps is that the river becomes the Severn Estuary after the Second Severn Crossing near Severn Beach, South Gloucestershire, and stretches to a line from Lavernock Point (south of Cardiff) to Sand Point near Weston-super-Mare.[3] The definition used on Admiralty Chart SC1179 and the Bristol Channel and Severn Cruising Guide is that the estuary extends upstream to Aust, the site of the old Severn Bridge. The estuary is about 2 miles (3.2 km) wide at Aust, and about 9 miles (14 km) wide between Cardiff and Weston-super-Mare.
wiki

ETA  I think Bristol channel proper is west of Steepholm & Flatholm.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1346 on: 22 August, 2020, 02:01:29 pm »

Ooph. After a year or so of no movement on square or cluster, in a week I've got it up by 69. Now at 712. Not as satisfying as 666, but it now goes all the way to Utrecht. I need to fill in the gaps between Utrecht and Hilversum. And From Utrecht to Alphen. But it's positive movement. A few more rides, and I should be able to get my square to move close to Utrecht, and stop being limited by the Noord Holland Peninsular...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ef44AFmWAAYqEPH.jpg

Boom, now upto Max Cluster: 829. A single ride joined the dots up all the way to Rotterdam. A 117 increase from a single ride...

ETA: Looks like I bagged 18 extra tiles, on todays ride to get the extra 117 cluster boost. Total now at 10474. Square still at 17x17

Got off the train one stop early, and bagged an extra 6 tiles. Which handily brought my cluster all the way to Den Haag

10480 tiles
Max square 17x17
Max Cluster: 849

J
--

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1347 on: 22 August, 2020, 03:35:03 pm »
You’re a bit stuck now with widening your square until you shift its centre south. Means more kilometres...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1348 on: 23 August, 2020, 02:56:09 pm »
After today's 100 up to 26*26 and annoyingly 996 cluster. Next job get it past 1000

citoyen

« Reply #1349 on: 23 August, 2020, 03:48:03 pm »
Detoured into the Kemsley Fields business park on yesterday's ride to pick up a loose tile, riding as far as the point where there were big signs saying "Absolutely no public access beyond this point on pain of death" (or words to that effect). I thought we'd already gone far enough by that point to have entered the tile so just turned back, but when I uploaded the ride later.....

So annoying! Another hundred metres or so would surely have been enough - and would have been unlikely to draw the attention of local security on a Saturday morning.

I don't really want to ride up that way again - the roads are horrible, the scenery uninspiring. Looks like it might be possible to access it from the other end of the road (the road runs down from the roundabout by the start of the old Sheppey bridge) but the more appealing option is to bag it from the opposite side of the Swale, via a walking tour of Elmley nature reserve, which would also help me bag a few otherwise inaccessible tiles on Sheppey.