Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87913 times)

Re: Beer!
« Reply #325 on: 13 June, 2017, 08:49:45 pm »
Grolsch was my go-to everyday lager when I lived in NL, so I don't remember it being terrible. The seasonal specials (autumn bock and the like) were pretty tasty as well.

ian

« Reply #326 on: 13 June, 2017, 09:42:09 pm »
I have a for a while contemplated a crap lager fest where I rank the worse of brewed-under-licence bilge. Fosters, Carling, Stella, and their micturitional kin. The sort of foul fluid that sprays from the severed aorta of dying pubs, their final customers trying to staunch the flow with soggy salt-and-vinegar crisps and a packet of pork scratching that is on the verge of becoming an archaeological find. Beers where the main flavour isn't hops, it's distilled despair, and even that is stale. But wait, I'm too cruel, there's also hints of domestic abuse, sodden piss-soaked crotches, and leave-it-Darren-he's-not-worth-it.

My wife, ever supportive of my quests, says do it when I'm not here, correctly recognising for the self-abuse it undoubtedly is, the sort of thing that should be done alone, in front of a computer, with one hand occupied. So I might. The suffering, I suspect will be existential, like the time recently when I watched all the Nic Cage movies I could find over a weekend. That's was like the cinematic equivalent of running the bad lager gamut and ending up submerged in an ocean of Fosters with only a leaking snorkel. The rum-flavoured one. If you've seen Left Behind, you'll understand, and I'll arrange a care package. Some things can't be unexperienced, sadly. They say these things build character but that's a bit like saying hey, I'm going to build a house with this bulldozer. My previous quests have involved writing a multi-volume sci-fi novel à la Hamilton and attempting to read Dan Brown's Inferno. I'm not sure where this challenge falls in the spectrum of stupid compulsions that pop into my head.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #327 on: 13 June, 2017, 10:14:32 pm »
A coffee infused stout from Fierce.  Very yummy, subtle coffee, liquorice, warmth.  At 12.6% I only had the one half with dinner as I have to get up in the morning, but I could have happily poured myself into it all night.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #328 on: 13 June, 2017, 10:34:22 pm »
Ive just had a pint of Dogbolter.

Yes. Dogbolter.

ElyDave

« Reply #329 on: 13 June, 2017, 11:07:38 pm »
Ive just had a pint of Dogbolter.

Yes. Dogbolter.
Stuck in a time warp back to the 90's?

« Reply #330 on: 14 June, 2017, 06:19:48 am »
90s? 80s more like.

Nope. Its being brewed again but not by the Firkin people

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #331 on: 14 June, 2017, 10:54:36 am »
90s? 80s more like.

I thought I recognized the name, not thought about firkin beer for a long time...

It all brings back memories of teenage years, drinking whatever beer I could afford and smoking benson and hedges.

« Reply #332 on: 14 June, 2017, 11:09:32 am »
Its a 6% stout-type beer.

Needless to say, I really dont remember very much about it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #333 on: 14 June, 2017, 11:36:06 am »
"Good stuff, Dogbolter", said our chum Carl1to a barman in the Ferret & Firkin many moons ago, "but things do start to get a bit hazy after seven or eight pints."

The barman began to look nervous.

1: rr will doubtless recall the Carl of whom I speak
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rr

« Reply #334 on: 14 June, 2017, 01:42:53 pm »
"Good stuff, Dogbolter", said our chum Carl1to a barman in the Ferret & Firkin many moons ago, "but things do start to get a bit hazy after seven or eight pints."

The barman began to look nervous.

1: rr will doubtless recall the Carl of whom I speak
The joke candidate who got elected? No current relevance then, I often think of him when I see Trump. That and the Ann Diamond incident.

Edit/ just remembered he beat Mr Larrington representing the BEER party and the .... Right candidate-- my grate friend the sherfield streaker in the presidential election.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

ElyDave

« Reply #335 on: 15 June, 2017, 06:07:06 pm »
90s? 80s more like.

90's in my case at the Forum and Firkin in Bath

Today however I am partaking of a Sixpoint Resin at a 'spoons while waiting for my flight , a cheeky little number, 9.1% of hoppy, resiny, piney, tongue slapping goodness

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #336 on: 19 June, 2017, 12:11:37 pm »
Had a llittle treat of a Bacchus Cherry beer yesterday. So nice, bitter cherry and underlying beer tastiness. Made a nice father's day tipple treat!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #337 on: 19 June, 2017, 11:05:18 pm »

IMG_8942_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #338 on: 19 June, 2017, 11:07:05 pm »
Rattus Norvegicus, tonight. Billed as 'hazy, grapefruit IPA'.

It was more like Dogbolter. Nice though.

« Reply #339 on: 20 June, 2017, 06:54:18 am »
Disco Forklift Truck last night. A fruity mango IPA - was rather yum.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ElyDave

« Reply #340 on: 20 June, 2017, 09:09:16 pm »
I have a beercicle, put a bottle of homebrew in the freezer after my ride, made a lemon balm martini instead and just remembered the beer.

Oops.

ian

« Reply #341 on: 22 June, 2017, 09:28:53 pm »
Some Hazy Jane from Brewdog that I've not drunk yet.

Some Gypsy Hill Hepcat session IPA on tap which was very good.

ian

« Reply #342 on: 23 June, 2017, 07:22:43 pm »
Hazy Jane was nice for those who like their IPAs murky (and I like mine filthy and dank). Tasted even better because it was free.

I have discovered more beer in the garage. It seems when we emptied the beer porch (on account of warmth) it all got transferred to the relative cool of the garage and forgotten about. And not a small amount of beer. Apparently we're staying in to drink it. It's going to be a long evening.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #343 on: 25 June, 2017, 09:39:32 pm »
Hazy Jane was nice for those who like their IPAs murky (and I like mine filthy and dank). Tasted even better because it was free.

So I see the free Vermont IPA we were supposed to receive has morphed into Hazy Jane. The cynic in me says it was supposed to be Vermont but it went wrong so they rebadged it.  :-\
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #344 on: 25 June, 2017, 11:01:54 pm »
So, beer heads. I've done a quick Google but failed.
Does anyone have any fool proof trick for opening a bottle of frisky beer? Do you favour the slowly, slowly catchee monkey, or whip the top off quick like a plaster?

I tried the first one tonight, on a bottle of Cuvee, and although I avoided a fountain of beer, it still fizzed enough to get the sediment (pour les vitamins) up to the neck of the bottle.

« Reply #345 on: 26 June, 2017, 12:29:21 am »
Gas is more soluble in cold water than warm.
Chill it cold, open & pour, then allow to warm to the correct temperature for drinking.

I wouldn't bother to do that either

ian

« Reply #346 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:26:42 am »

So I see the free Vermont IPA we were supposed to receive has morphed into Hazy Jane. The cynic in me says it was supposed to be Vermont but it went wrong so they rebadged it.  :-\

Says New England IPA and I don't think Vermont qualifies as New England. Brewdog already did a Vermont IPA (in collaboration with Cloudwater). Anyway, while not awesome, it was a decent and very drinker hazy IPA. The Cloudwater one was better, of course.

Had a Weird Beard Gumball DIPA yesterday. Never really rated Weird Beer but it was rather pleasant. Could perhaps have been a bit drier, but then I suppose they called it 'gumball' for a reason. On and a Time and Tide Bucky, a hogweed and sea buckthorn pale ale which was interesting on account that I don't get a lot of hogweed in my diet.

As for lively beer, I just stick my mouth over the top. Sometimes I cannonball the contents. Other times it comes out of my nose. If I'm lucky I manage to match the pressure and let it calm down.

Then I hand the bottle to our esteemed dinner guests.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #347 on: 26 June, 2017, 07:44:10 pm »
So the body of the email says Vermont and the voucher underneath says New England, ha.

« Reply #348 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:22:02 pm »

Says New England IPA and I don't think Vermont qualifies as New England.
Officially it does. The US Census Bureau, assorted other official bodies such as the regional tourist board, the Bureau of Economic Analysis, etc. all include it in New England.

New England seems to be unusual among multi-state US regions in that it is the same in all the different official US classification systems.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #349 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:27:28 pm »
At 6DN this coming weekend