Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87371 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

ian

Re: Beer!
« Reply #626 on: 30 December, 2018, 06:36:13 pm »
Loving the barleywines at the moment. Excellent one from Lervig the other day at the Beer Merchants Tap in the tragically hip Wickney Hack. And I've snarfed a bottle of Magic Rock's Strongman.

We did wander down the Bermondsey Beer Mile before Christmas (cut a bit short as both Affinity and Partizan had closed already for the holidays, humbug). I suspect we still got enough beer in. And sausage rolls. Lots of sausage rolls. You need to cover all your essential food groups on one of these boozy adventures.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #627 on: 02 January, 2019, 10:55:17 am »
Out for a New year's Day stroll yesterday, we popped in to a Thee Pubbe at Teddington Lock. I chose a pint of Fuller's Imperial Stout.

"That's the best value alcohol we do" said the barman "£4.50 a pint"

I agreed it was reasonable and asked how strong it was. 10.7% abv. Stuff me. I've seen wine at 11% before and here I am sinking a pint of it. The equivalent of three pints of cooking bitter.

It tasted wonderful, strong burnt caramel, although my companion said it was "minging". "That's one word for it" said the hungover barman.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #628 on: 02 January, 2019, 11:07:11 am »
To Øl's Jule Mælk, a festively 15% imperial milk stout.

More of this on NYE. Mind you, at 15% I only drink it in thirds (for the princely sum of £4).

« Reply #629 on: 02 January, 2019, 01:27:54 pm »
Out for a New year's Day stroll yesterday, we popped in to a Thee Pubbe at Teddington Lock. I chose a pint of Fuller's Imperial Stout.

I agreed it was reasonable and asked how strong it was. 10.7% abv. Stuff me. I've seen wine at 11% before and here I am sinking a pint of it. The equivalent of three pints of cooking bitter.

It tasted wonderful, strong burnt caramel, although my companion said it was "minging". "That's one word for it" said the hungover barman.

Given that Fuller's sell it in bottles for £8/500ml, that is indeed a stupendous bargain. If it's anything like their other strong beers (1845, Golden Pride, etc.), only favoured pubs will be getting it on cask, so alas I'm unlikely to find any on tap up here in the frozen North Midlands, and by the time I'm next in that London the season will have passed  :(

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #630 on: 02 January, 2019, 02:19:54 pm »

Given that Fuller's sell it in bottles for £8/500ml, that is indeed a stupendous bargain. If it's anything like their other strong beers (1845, Golden Pride, etc.), only favoured pubs will be getting it on cask, so alas I'm unlikely to find any on tap up here in the frozen North Midlands, and by the time I'm next in that London the season will have passed  :(

Ah.  Adding that snippet to more information - that the pub is going to close shortly for a couple of months for an extensive refurbishment - and the picture becomes more complete.
Interestingly, the person in the queue in front of us asked for Guinness, of which there was none, so settled for Imperial Stout. That's 10.7% abv in place of 4.1%
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #631 on: 03 January, 2019, 10:01:06 am »
I got a full 24 can slab of Mogwai Beer Satan for xmas. It fulfills two loves in my life, fruity IPAs (with bonus chili) and MOGWAI!

menthel

« Reply #632 on: 21 January, 2019, 11:12:35 am »
Anyone in the Kingston area should make their way to the Albion just behind the leisure centre. What a lovely selection of beers! I had their own porter, a cranberry gose and then Titanic brewery's plum porter. All were amazing.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #633 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:23:37 pm »
T'Verzet Moose Blues - a wee bit on the sweet side but quite nommy nonetheless  :P

« Reply #634 on: 24 January, 2019, 05:11:45 pm »
Saw that my local still had some bottles of Backyard Brewery's _Bad Santa_ in their fridge, so had one; they'd had casks of it in December, but it was never on when I was in. Very tasty, and deceptively so - I'd not have guessed it was the 6.8% it actually clocks in at.

« Reply #635 on: 25 January, 2019, 11:06:42 am »
London Pride beers sold to Japanese firm http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46999208

:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #636 on: 25 January, 2019, 01:06:20 pm »
Bit sad that - were they the last big brewer still under family control? Though at least Asahi are making all the right noises about respecting the brewery's heritage etc., so hopefully it will just carry on much as before, but just owned by someone else.

menthel

« Reply #637 on: 25 January, 2019, 01:32:46 pm »
Just copying Young's...  :P

« Reply #638 on: 25 January, 2019, 01:50:00 pm »
Don't get me started on Young's - I used to drink in the Brewery Tap in Wandsworth...

menthel

« Reply #639 on: 25 January, 2019, 02:30:13 pm »
I grew up round the corner from the brewery, had family work there and its pretty much in the family blood. A pint of Ordinary doesn't taste the same without the Wandle water.

ian

« Reply #640 on: 25 January, 2019, 04:27:18 pm »
I think Fullers were in an awkward place – they tried to big up their independence as a craft brewer though they never really fitted that mould, so they were caught somewhere between the trendily tragic hipster brews that fill my fridge and industrial granddad pints and pubs.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #641 on: 25 January, 2019, 04:56:50 pm »
Bit sad that - were they the last big brewer still under family control?
Depends what you call a big brewer. Shepherd Neame still have the Neames in control.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #642 on: 25 January, 2019, 06:54:53 pm »
We got new next door neighbours before xmas. Hadn't met them but knew from old neighbour that the female worked for Brewdog at Ellon.
Last night we met her when she appeared at the door asking if we were going to be about today and if so could we sign for a delivery.
Happily I had a flexi day planned for today, so yes.
I only signed for a delivery and she gave us all this beer. Yes, that's FIVE tins of Ten Ton Truck at 10% a pop.
2019-01-25_06-44-07 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I like my new neighbour :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #643 on: 26 January, 2019, 09:42:46 pm »
I think Fullers were in an awkward place – they tried to big up their independence as a craft brewer though they never really fitted that mould, so they were caught somewhere between the trendily tragic hipster brews that fill my fridge and industrial granddad pints and pubs.

I was surprised that the pubs and hotels side of their business was so extensive, but then a load of brewers had previously gone down that route, so I guess those financial incentives are still there. Of their hipster brews I've only tried the 'Fuller's and Friends' collaborations that they've done, and thought they were pretty good. Their real ales have always been a cut above, so I really hope their new overlords keep the Griffin brewery going as at present.

ian

« Reply #644 on: 27 January, 2019, 05:11:17 pm »
The started putting unfiltered London Pride in little cans and it isn't half bad, the more restrained English hops are sometimes the antidote you need to the usual bombast.

Asahi, on the other hand, is generic bland lager number 5835. Despite their corporate overlords, Beavertown still seem to be cranking out some good brews and to be honest, there's no point buying these things if you're going to mess them up in ways that defeat the object of buying them in the first place. Meantime, for instance, was bland when they were independent, and they're still bland now.

I was forced – forced – to seek shelter from the cold rain in The Experiment (shared taproom for Pressure Drop and Verdant) yesterday evening. Some young woman, who I've never met, made me eat a slice of vegan pizza. It wasn't disappointing, it was exactly as bad as I feared.

Madame Pingu, what no Tokyo* Death?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #645 on: 27 January, 2019, 06:17:41 pm »
Madame Pingu, what no Tokyo* Death?

Beggars can't be choosers.... I was quite pleased to receive more than just a 4 pack of Punk.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #646 on: 27 January, 2019, 07:13:43 pm »
Oh, I wouldn't complain either. The nice chap at the Three Hounds Beer Company bottleshop in Beckenham gave me a free can of Lervig Perler For Svin because it was about a day out of date. I felt bad because he said 'he usually drank any out-of-date cans himself' so basically I'd stolen his beer. That said, I'd just spent about £50, so I think he did alright out of the deal.

Anyway it was still a very good NE IPA and he was very nice, so if you live in the area, go and give him your custom. Quite annoyingly the place wasn't there when I lived in the area, I used to swim at the Beckenham Spa across the road every day, and exercise makes me thirsty.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #647 on: 31 January, 2019, 05:57:23 pm »

I only signed for a delivery and she gave us all this beer. Yes, that's FIVE tins of Ten Ton Truck at 10% a pop.

I like my new neighbour :P

I like your new neighbour too!

Just a pint of Marston's 61 Deep today, nicely fruity, decent hop kick but not OT
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #648 on: 31 January, 2019, 06:00:48 pm »
Loving the barleywines at the moment. Excellent one from Lervig the other day at the Beer Merchants Tap in the tragically hip Wickney Hack. And I've snarfed a bottle of Magic Rock's Strongman.

We did wander down the Bermondsey Beer Mile before Christmas (cut a bit short as both Affinity and Partizan had closed already for the holidays, humbug). I suspect we still got enough beer in. And sausage rolls. Lots of sausage rolls. You need to cover all your essential food groups on one of these boozy adventures.

I made an excellent homebrew barleywine in November 2017, finished the last three bottles with my dad and sisters OH this Christmas, it had matured very well.  It's definitely on the list for a re-brew
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #649 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:05:51 pm »
Yesterday I had a pint of Rhythm Stick, from the Billericay Brewing Co (obv.). It was touted as an "amber" ale and it was really excellent.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.