Author Topic: Titanium Loveliness has arrived - Updated and is now made up  (Read 12837 times)

Re: Titanium Loveliness has arrived
« Reply #25 on: 24 June, 2009, 05:50:40 pm »
So we must now expect years of pictures of that Enigma machine in this thread now...  :P

Nice frame.  :thumbsup:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #26 on: 24 June, 2009, 06:35:32 pm »
Due to my new decals, I have decided a name change is in order also.

Please don't say that you wanted "GruB" etched on it and they put "Grub" by their mistake.

Send it back!

Looks like 'Gnub' to me!   :demon:

V. nice though.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #27 on: 24 June, 2009, 10:00:23 pm »
Due to my new decals, I have decided a name change is in order also.

Please don't say that you wanted "GruB" etched on it and they put "Grub" by their mistake.

Send it back!

Okay, I will not say that then  ;D

Enigma so called because you left clear, concise instructions and they found it a complex puzzle?  ;D

You'll always be GruB.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Rapples

« Reply #28 on: 24 June, 2009, 10:02:24 pm »
Enigma so called because you left clear, concise instructions and they found it a complex puzzle?  ;D

Yebbut, it's code innit ;D

« Reply #29 on: 24 June, 2009, 10:10:16 pm »
Enigma so called because you left clear, concise instructions and they found it a complex puzzle?  ;D

Yebbut, it's code innit ;D

GruB can't quite put his finger on what the code is.

Because finger all hurty.
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #30 on: 24 June, 2009, 11:24:31 pm »
Looks like 'Gnub' to me!   :demon:

A copper thrown a bung?

« Reply #31 on: 25 June, 2009, 05:50:03 am »
Looks like 'Gnub' to me!   :demon:

A copper thrown a bung?

Although it does not look like an 'r' in that picture, I can assure you it is.
The 'r' is more of an arty script type font - handwriting rather than printing - and the etching is so understated that it is hard to photo, so far  ;D
But Sgt  B is right - I asked for GruB and got Grub - but the capitalisation was me being different so I am not bothered in becoming Grub.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #32 on: 25 June, 2009, 06:15:36 am »
I always assumed that it was ß or eszett.  (ie not capital b)  I thought it was a shortcoming of the SMF script which did not allow non Latin characters.

So I have always pronounced your username 'gruss'.

Anyway, a sharp nail will soon get the 'b' changed to 'B'.

« Reply #33 on: 25 June, 2009, 08:47:08 am »
I always assumed that it was ß or eszett.  (ie not capital b)  I thought it was a shortcoming of the SMF script which did not allow non Latin characters.

You mean Grouss.  ;)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #34 on: 25 June, 2009, 09:26:59 am »
I always assumed that it was ß or eszett.  (ie not capital b)  I thought it was a shortcoming of the SMF script which did not allow non Latin characters.

You mean Grouss.  ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1RJPaj97H24&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/1RJPaj97H24&rel=1</a>

gonzo

« Reply #35 on: 26 June, 2009, 09:37:50 am »
Nice bike - but are you going to compliment the frame with wheels & stuff or hooks to hang it on the wall?

« Reply #36 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:33:24 pm »

But Sgt  B is right - I asked for GruB and got Grub - but the capitalisation was me being different so I am not bothered in becoming Grub.

They could still capitalise that "b", Shirley?  Take it back and do your best Jack Regan impression.

Re: Titanium Loveliness has arrived - Updated and is now made up
« Reply #37 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:19:34 pm »
No pictures yet though.

This is my first attempt at building a frame up myself.  I took a day off today and stripped the OCR4 down in the hour, placing all the parts to transplant on the kitchen table.  It was going well until I started to build her up.

I have learnt that non drive bottom bracket cups do better on the non drive side.  Lesson learnt.  No damage to anything.
I have also learnt that Enigma Etapes are designed for Campag headsets and that Hope headsets do not have 45 degree inset bearings.  Cue a quick journey to the LBS to purchase the only 45 degree one he had - Cane Creek - Cross headset.  It has the brake boss thing on it, never mind.
I also learnt that when following instructions and it says to cut down your Ride On Gore outers to the same size as the ones you are taking off - that this would only apply if you were putting them back onto the same frame.  When the new frame has the bosses 3 inches further down the tube - you will find that the old sized outers are too short.  When you find some spare Dura Ace grey outers, you then find that the rest of the cable you cut down when placed into the new outer is also now too short.

Cue one wasted pack of Gore Ride On gear cables.  Expensive lesson but one I will never forget. 

I took her out this afternoon with Son2 on his bike so nothing fast.

But boy oh boy what a ride.  She is so smooth but also mega responsive.  It was a real joy to ride.  Amazingly similar to carbon for power and lightness but dampening of steel.  I will do a better ride tomorrow to the LBS to get two new gear cables. 

To all those that helped me get to this place decision wise, thank you, I am greatly impresses and satisfied.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #38 on: 26 June, 2009, 10:56:59 pm »
I also learnt that when following instructions and it says to cut down your Ride On Gore outers to the same size as the ones you are taking off - that this would only apply if you were putting them back onto the same frame.  When the new frame has the bosses 3 inches further down the tube - you will find that the old sized outers are too short.  When you find some spare Dura Ace grey outers, you then find that the rest of the cable you cut down when placed into the new outer is also now too short.

Cue one wasted pack of Gore Ride On gear cables.  Expensive lesson but one I will never forget. 

IFYP  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sniggersniggersniggersniggersniggersniggersnigger

« Reply #39 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:21:57 pm »
When I make an honest mistake I accept it and move on.  I try to not make it ever again though.
This was one of those moments.  I was so proud of myself for doing the build.
I was so proud of myself for not forcing the BB on when I had the wrong cup on the wrong side.  Care and attention paid was the order of the day.  I just made a mistake with the cables. I tried to fix it but the resulting job was worse.  Cue a visit to the LBS tomorrow for normal cables for the time being.  In the winter I may invest in some Ride Ons again, once my pain has subsided  ;D ;D

« Reply #40 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:35:01 pm »
You're the same as me (just see my various fettling threads  ;D)  I always accept any error and move on.

You should be proud of the build.

(now excuse me while I go snigger again  ;D O:-))

Chris N

« Reply #41 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:35:22 pm »
Good work GruBb.  We need pics!

rdaviesb

« Reply #42 on: 27 June, 2009, 09:40:30 am »
Great stuff GruB. Let's see those piccies!

« Reply #43 on: 27 June, 2009, 03:54:29 pm »
I refer you to the Member's Bikes thread.

« Reply #44 on: 10 July, 2009, 06:00:21 pm »
I have just weighed this bike with everything on except the Carradice saddle bag.  9.65 kg is the result.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #45 on: 12 July, 2009, 02:48:04 pm »

Did you think it was a reference to the Austrian "Gruß Gott"?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #46 on: 12 July, 2009, 04:49:26 pm »
I have just weighed this bike with everything on except the Carradice saddle bag.  9.65 kg is the result.

9.65 kg Gruss weight.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #47 on: 12 July, 2009, 05:42:05 pm »

Mmm - that's 1 kg heavier than my Planet X.  Must be those mudguards you've got fitted.  ;)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #48 on: 29 July, 2009, 11:57:28 pm »
My forks arrived from Enigma today. My Etape should be out this weekend - at last! Photo to follow, when forks fitted.

BTW - anyone want a Roberts Audax? A bit shabby, but a nice bike once tarted up again.  :thumbsup:
About 21" frame. Campag 9 speed mix 'n match from Mirage to Chorus, triple, Columbus tubing.

Enigma so called because you left clear, concise instructions and they found it a complex puzzle?  ;D
Naah - that was me. But it looks as if they've finally sorted it.

Lovely forks, lovely lovely. I think I'll go and fondle them again before going to bed.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #49 on: 30 July, 2009, 12:01:07 am »
When I make an honest mistake I accept it and move on.  I try to not make it ever again though.
This was one of those moments.  I was so proud of myself for doing the build.
I was so proud of myself for not forcing the BB on when I had the wrong cup on the wrong side.  Care and attention paid was the order of the day.  I just made a mistake with the cables. I tried to fix it but the resulting job was worse.  Cue a visit to the LBS tomorrow for normal cables for the time being.  In the winter I may invest in some Ride Ons again, once my pain has subsided  ;D ;D
Yup. I've built up two frames almost from scratch*, & it's a good feeling when you step back & look at a bicycle. Well done!

*Bottom bracket already fitted
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897