Author Topic: Your EDC kit  (Read 13567 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Your EDC kit
« on: 26 June, 2012, 01:21:54 pm »
I have a vague memory of an Every Day Carry (EDC) kit thread, but can't seem to locate it.

In general, a lot of people leave their house every day equipped for little more than their 'normal' day. Cyclists, by the very nature of their choice of transport, seem to be better equipped than usual. I don't have a picture of my bicycle kit, but it is pretty standard. Set out below is my EDC that comes with me every time I leave the house, though not always in it's pouch - I'll come on to that later.

Here is my EDC in it's transportable form, I'm an inveterate rucksack wearer - I actually feel naked without one and I have put together this kit to make the most of having a rucksack on me, but give me flexibility if I'm not going to wear one.

The pouch (top left) holds all the small pieces of the kit, keeping them secure, clean and readily accessible - which is important. For example, if I'm on a tube and there is a complete power failure, I can find and access my torch by feel alone. The back of the pouch is fitted with MOLLE straps which allow me to either attach it to my belt or turn it into a 'barnacle' on the outside of my rucksack if I need internal space. Normally though it just floats around in the main compartment.

The water bottle is made by Liberty, an American manufacturer, and is aluminium. It is tough, secure and holds 940ml of water. I prefer to carry a litre, rather than the more usual 500ml, as in a high temperature or multiple hour scenario that extra 500ml will be well worth the weight.

The pouch (bottom right) normally holds my mobile, but is deliberately a little large as I can turn it into a pocket sized EDC by cutting out some of the less essential items. For situations where I won't be able to carry the full sized pouch, it fits into a normal trouser pocket when loaded with whistle, torch, multi-tool and a pen. The micro-wallet will go into a pocket.

Gloves are an often overlooked piece of kit, but they can make a big difference in a bad situation. They are similar to cycling gloves, but have reinforced palms and fingertips which provides grip and puncture protection from glass shards, metal or splintered wood and the top of the gloves is padded over the knuckles and back of the hand. They do maintain dexterity and I can access and utilise any piece of my kit whilst wearing them.

On to the kit in more detail, beginning with the top left. It is a super-slim wallet, containing 5x £10 notes and a laminated card with both of my emergency contacts and my medical info (essentially 'give me all the drugs, I'm not allergic to anything' ;) )

Notepad, pencil, biro and permanent marker - can come in very handy in a multitude of situations. Chapstick has two uses, the main one of course is to keep my lips from chapping in winter, but the other use comes if I find myself having to walk my way out of trouble. A thick rub under the pads of the toes and instep will help to slow the formation of the blisters that my dress shoes would give me.

Earplugs (in the ACS case) handy a lot as I wear them whenever I'm in a noisy pub/club. In addition they would aid hearing in a noisy crowd or constant alarm scenario. A Multi-tool is always good to have. It has a small blade and pliers as it's two most useful functions. Right below it in the picture is a Fenix E01 torch. It takes a single AAA battery and has a claimed burn time of 24hrs, which is more than enough. The light it casts is enough to see what you are doing and illuminates about 8-10meters usefully, it is also small enough to comfortably hold in my mouth. There is an argument for dispensing with a torch if your mobile has a light, as mine does, though I don't buy into it. In a scenario that might force me to use the torch, I want to preserve my phone's battery as much as possible, not to mention that the phone is breakable and awkward to hold and use as a light and wouldn't work in a really wet environment.

The whistle is an airfast (pealess) ACME Tornado and is really loud. I chose the Tornado because it produces a lower note than the classic Fox40, which makes it more likely to be heard at a distance by older people (i.e. rescuers) and helps it be heard against ringing ears. A whistle is a fantastic tool for signalling for help and helping you organise and control people, plus I use it coaching derby so always having it on me means I don't forget it!

Missing from the kit at the moment is a pair of nitrile surgical gloves and a small space blanket. The small space blanket doesn't just have to be draped over you as you huddle to get warm, it can be highly effective if worn around the shoulders like a cape, but underneath a layer of clothing to hold it secure. This frees your hands and allows you to continue moving whilst being protected from the cold. ETA: Also a couple of Cliff bars are missing :-[
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Your EDC kit
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2012, 01:41:25 pm »
Not Early Day Closing then  :D more Every Disaster Conceivable!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jacomus

« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2012, 02:08:29 pm »
Not Early Day Closing then  :D more Every Disaster Conceivable!

:D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2012, 02:22:07 pm »
My kit consists of an iPhone and a credit card with bit of paper cash in a Jimi waterproof wallet.

I like to travel light. I rarely 'do' handbags and hate wearing rucksacks. I often wear cycling clothing when not cycling because of the 3 back pockets. The left is for the wallet, the middle for iPhone and right for a key. I walk round patting my back to check on their presence even when I'm not wearing cycling stuff though. The bike has it's own kit but that doesn't come with me on foot or in the car.

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2012, 02:27:59 pm »
Damn, I feel naked now!

I just take an iphone in a leather case with a debit card & a bit of cash, oyster card if needed and house and car key on a zip tie.   Simples.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2012, 05:08:47 pm »
Thanks for reminding me - I need to watch the latest episode of The Walking Dead tonight.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2012, 05:21:59 pm »
Personals, in the world of rock & roll.

I carry a lot of stuff.
Getting there...

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2012, 07:34:31 pm »
christ jacomus that's some detailed inventory you have there  I just have a phone couple of quid in cash bout a fiver. A debit card and that's it !!! on the bike in my seat pack 2 tubes 3 tyre levers and a frame fit zefal hpx pump  :thumbsup: that is how I roll  8)
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2012, 07:35:05 pm »
There was a time when I had a rucksack, which progressively acquired Things That Might Come In Useful, to the point where it became unwieldy.  For a while, I had a bush jacket thing with a squillion pockets, which was better, but suffered the same sort of feature creep.  Although it should be noted that unlike the now legendary Marcie Hatter, I've never actually carried a canoe paddle around.

These days, I hardly walk anywhere, so it's just the standard bike kit.  If I'm not travelling by bike, I tend to keep it simple: wallet, keys, smartphone, swiss army knife and a couple of metres of gaffer tape.  A Petzl head torch takes the role of the traditional 2AA maglite.  And a USB flash drive with the usual h4xx0r tools if there are likely to be computers involved.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2012, 08:03:07 pm »
I have Marj's mobile phone number ;D

« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2012, 10:49:06 pm »
I struggle with this .... Is it just me lacking sufficient paranoia to carry so much kit about everywhere or is my life too mundane?
At what point do I need to consider carrying an NBC suit just in case?

« Reply #11 on: 27 June, 2012, 12:36:22 pm »
If I am going on the tube then my bag now has the following in it usually

A whistle
Some wire
Some string
A dust mask
Leatherman Squirt
Spyderco UKPK (largest technically legal folding knife you can carry without a reason, still a bit dubious though)
Tissues
Torch (either Klarus P2A or LED Lenser P5)
Gerber Shard
Pocket Prybar

On a keyring (all very small)

Lighter
Exotac nanostriker
Nail clippers
Pen
Small ruler
Tweezers (though I lost these recently)

Probably some other stuff I forgot. Not all of it is always with me either.

This is a cool website if you want some small useful stuff, don't look at it if you have no spare cash though. Some of it's junk but there's some good stuff.

http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/

Si_Co

« Reply #12 on: 27 June, 2012, 12:46:29 pm »
Depends on the day really, commuting seems to include all sorts of stuff, including most of a first aid kit, compass  ??? , socks x3 pairs ? , OS explorer map of somewhere 56 miles way, you don't wanna know what else is lurking in the rucksack, I think they've nearly invented the wheel in there.

Leisure riding is much less even though the distances are bigger and the locations more remote  ???

Jacomus

« Reply #13 on: 27 June, 2012, 01:00:09 pm »

A whistle
Some wire
Some string
A dust mask
Leatherman Squirt
Spyderco UKPK (largest technically legal folding knife you can carry without a reason, still a bit dubious though)
Tissues
Gerber Shard
Pocket Prybar

Lighter
Exotac nanostriker
Nail clippers
Pen
Small ruler

This is a cool website if you want some small useful stuff, don't look at it if you have no spare cash though. Some of it's junk but there's some good stuff.

http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/

Nice kit, which also reminds me that I have been telling myself to get a folding N95 dust mask for yonks now. Screwfix here I come.

For what purpose do you carry the sting and wire?

« Reply #14 on: 27 June, 2012, 01:07:08 pm »
Just because they're small, and incredibly handy if you need them.

Oh I forgot a few little bits, paperclips, a few nails, some cable ties.

« Reply #15 on: 27 June, 2012, 01:21:41 pm »
Fone, funds, fags fella.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #16 on: 27 June, 2012, 01:57:26 pm »
Mainly I carry my phone and a head torch.
It is simpler than it looks.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #17 on: 27 June, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »
I have Marj's mobile phone number ;D

actually I also have mobile phone,a bit of cash & a credit card.

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:11:34 am »
I struggle with this .... Is it just me lacking sufficient paranoia to carry so much kit about everywhere or is my life too mundane?
At what point do I need to consider carrying an NBC suit just in case?

Not just you.  I'm bewildered by what people are carrying about.

I mean

A whistle
Some wire
Some string
A dust mask
Leatherman Squirt
Tissues
Gerber Shard
Pocket Prybar
Lighter
Exotac nanostriker
Nail clippers
Pen
Small ruler

On the TUBE?  You mean the tube that runs underneath London or some other tube, a tube that runs beneath the Kalahri or the Amazon Rain forest?

Why are you carrying a lighter and a nanostriker?  I assume you smoke (or there's no need for the lighter).  If you don't smoke but are expecting to start a campfire in Leicester Square then use the lighter.  The Nanostriker is redundant.

What are you expecting to happen? I don't take that much stuff on a camping trip.

For the record:

- Sony Ericsson K800i (yes it's an old phone)
- Wallet
- Keys

If I travel abroad then add Passport to that list.

« Reply #20 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:29:38 am »
It's paranoia i think. When I go out I have phone, wallet, keys. When im at work and I'm out the truck I have phone, wallet, keys, leatherman wave. And probably bits of screwed up paper/wrAppers

Maybe I don't array enough crap around with me?

Don't question. It makes people angry.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:34:00 am »
Not paranoia but experience.  It's a bit annoying getting stuck when one tool weighing a few grammes could sort you out in seconds.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:43:36 am »
Please tell us more! What experiences have you lot had on the Tube that a lighter, a wire, some string and a whistle could have sorted out in seconds?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

« Reply #23 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:49:23 am »
Please tell us more! What experiences have you lot had on the Tube that a lighter, a wire, some string and a whistle could have sorted out in seconds?

"Emergency!!!!  One of our Blue Peter presenters is missing and we only have 20 minutes to make an Advent Crown"

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #24 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:57:44 am »
Clothing appropriate to the circumstances.

Keys (with attached bottle opener), phone, wallet.

At night in the countryside & when venturing anywhere that might be subject to trees on the line, or leaving me stranded in a tunnel if things go wrong I might, if I think of it, take a head torch.

An umbrella if it's wet, book if I'm going to be sitting around waiting, map if I think I might need it.

I've been in a car crash, had to help injured people, encountered roads blocked by things blown down, etc., & never found the need for anything between that lot & a full medical & tool kit.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897