Author Topic: Camping and logistics  (Read 6383 times)

Camping and logistics
« on: 28 May, 2018, 06:49:52 am »
I'm hoping to take part next year for the first time and will be camping, I have a few questions.

1. Where are the nearest campsites?
2. How far in advance did you book a pitch?
3. What do you do with tent and camping stuff whilst riding?
4. Which ferry port has the easiest route to the start (not necessarily shortest) ?
4. if you've used the ferry how much "leisure" time have you given yourself before signing on and bike checks?

Cheers
Ian

Phil W

Re: Camping and logistics
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2018, 02:22:54 pm »
A fair few of my German freinds stayed at Huttopia last time.

https://europe.huttopia.com/en/site/camping-versailles/

Newhaven - Dieppe gives a good run to Paris. From Dieppe it is about 180km to the start depending on route you take.

When we rode down last time we arrived early afternoon. Friday. So had Friday afternoon / evening, Sat sign on and catch up with other riders. Sunday depart.  We rode back the morning after PBP meeting at Velodrome around 8am, evening meal in Dieppe then overnight ferry back.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2018, 07:20:29 am »
One day the St Quentin campsite may re-appear. In 2011 the temporary one was ok. I left everything pitched on the site for the duration in 2003, 2007 and 2011. If no campsite I'll probably do a cheap hotel again.

Definitely Newhaven-Dieppe, having done Portsmouth-Ouistreham [and Eurostar once]. We got the overnight ferry, rode to the Vernon F1, partly on the greenway [Avenue Verte], had a leisurely evening meal in town, then rode into St Q by late lunchtime, I think. We rode directly back to Dieppe, 100miles or so, just time for a meal then got the overnight boat again - preceded by fireworks for the Dieppe Raid commemorations.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2018, 08:51:05 am »
I haven't done the Newhaven-Dieppe variation, but have done Portsmouth (overnight) options twice. It seems that:

- Portsmouth (to Caen or Le Havre) makes for a slightly longer, more worthwhile 2 days riding. Too long for 1 day!
- With this new Green Avenue thingy, that makes Newhaven more appealing than back-in-the-day, and really the only option for a 1-day bash
- Access to Portsmouth-vs-Newhaven will depend a lot on where you are starting, and for me was the deciding factor. (i.e. living in Kent or Dorset would make 1 of the ports a big diversion).  Together with how you will get to the coast of England (bike/car/train/plane ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ben T

« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2018, 05:53:01 pm »
does PBP still start from: https://goo.gl/maps/FvbAsLTtuVq in 2019?

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2018, 06:20:05 pm »

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2018, 07:30:35 pm »
Perhaps not

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2018, 07:36:27 pm »
Huttopia Rambouillet looks like a decent option now.
https://europe.huttopia.com/en/site/rambouillet-2/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:27:21 am »
Does anyone remember / know what time the bike check on Saturday closes? I'm wondering if I can get the overnight ferry to Le Havre on Friday, arriving Saturday morning at 8.30am (so probably 9am by the time I get going) and then make the bike check in Rambouillet (185 km) cycling at a leisurely pace (20kph)?

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:51:26 pm »
I have had a look at Huttopia Rambouillet today, when I looked at booking a pitch for a tent for PBP 2019, it said the campsite was closed for that period. PBP related maybe? Also having a look at the new start point in Google Earth, it looks a very favourable place with loads of open fields etc surrounding it to maybe have a camp site at the start especially if they use the fields also for car parking.

« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2018, 10:09:58 pm »
If you try to book any of the Huttopia sites for that week ,they appear as closed.
Maybe their software can’t handle advance bookings?

« Reply #11 on: 20 August, 2018, 10:29:17 pm »
I think it is a website/software problem as the site states it is closed if you try any dates after March 2019.

« Reply #12 on: 23 August, 2018, 12:07:36 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of camping along the route?  At either designed places or just randomly along the route?

Please share your experience as I wondering whether it is worth doing so; doesn't take more than 20 mins to put up a tent - jump inside - throw in a lightweight sleeping bag and zzzzz
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #13 on: 23 August, 2018, 12:23:40 pm »
If it's during the event then I'd say carrying a tent would be overkill.

I had a few naps between controls during PBP (only did one in 2011)
* one in a barn by the road side (it was raining, another rider was already in there)
* a shed on the side of the house (it was raining)
* a patch of grass at the road side (it was lovely sunshine)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #14 on: 23 August, 2018, 01:34:55 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of camping along the route?  At either designed places or just randomly along the route?

Please share your experience as I wondering whether it is worth doing so; doesn't take more than 20 mins to put up a tent - jump inside - throw in a lightweight sleeping bag and zzzzz

I carry a lightweight foil bivibag in case it rains (and have used it) but usually just lie down and sleep. Never had a problem.   
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

« Reply #15 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:18:18 pm »

I carry a lightweight foil bivibag in case it rains (and have used it) but usually just lie down and sleep. Never had a problem.

Same here. You'll see riders sleeping under hedges everywhere.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #16 on: 29 August, 2018, 11:13:17 am »
Does anyone remember / know what time the bike check on Saturday closes? I'm wondering if I can get the overnight ferry to Le Havre on Friday, arriving Saturday morning at 8.30am (so probably 9am by the time I get going) and then make the bike check in Rambouillet (185 km) cycling at a leisurely pace (20kph)?

I think it was about 7pm. I volunteered on it last time before starting in X. If you want to avoid waisting time in the queues, I'd recommend getting to the bike check at the end of the day.

I'm considering volunteering on it again, but I won't be riding. Once was enough for me, thank you very much.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #17 on: 29 August, 2018, 11:16:08 am »

I camped at the controls all the way round. I had a shower and washed my clothes each night, ate reasonable food and got a good sleep in my tent. It made for a pleasant experience.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #18 on: 29 August, 2018, 12:32:10 pm »
If you try to book any of the Huttopia sites for that week ,they appear as closed.
Maybe their software can’t handle advance bookings?

They usually open bookings sometime in November. Also worth noting that if you are booking on a Mac you may not get a confirmation of your booking. No idea why, but their software seems to have problems interfacing with Apple (and who doesn't?).
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #19 on: 29 August, 2018, 12:57:48 pm »
If it's during the event then I'd say carrying a tent would be overkill.

I had a few naps between controls during PBP (only did one in 2011)
* one in a barn by the road side (it was raining, another rider was already in there)
* a shed on the side of the house (it was raining)
* a patch of grass at the road side (it was lovely sunshine)

+1  But also if you are ahead of the bulge then the dormitories at the controls are a practical answer, especially if it is wet.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 02 September, 2018, 09:33:55 am »

Huttopia Rambouillet will be my first choice, otherwise somewhere within striking distance.

« Reply #21 on: 02 September, 2018, 12:20:09 pm »

Huttopia Rambouillet will be my first choice, otherwise somewhere within striking distance.

Considering the size of the plots it might be interesting that those who are early enough to book add a few extra tents so more people can stay there.

« Reply #22 on: 02 September, 2018, 08:45:52 pm »
Considering the size of the plots it might be interesting that those who are early enough to book add a few extra tents so more people can stay there.
Size of 'Nature' and 'Comfort' pitches = 80 m2. Up to 6 persons (2 with one tent/other as part of pitch booking). 'Comfort' has a picnic table and benches.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 02 September, 2018, 08:46:56 pm »
^ Could have an Essex encampment around our flag and my little tent!  :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #24 on: 02 September, 2018, 09:21:35 pm »
I slept at Loudeac (456km ?) on the way out. This was around 4pm  and I left around 9pm. At 4pm there were about four of us in there. When I left at 9pm there was a large queue for beds.  I then next slept at Quediliac, (bivvy in the reception area) leaving out the verge on the Roc where Tomsk's voice woke me during one of my catnaps.

I am far more tempted to sleep outside the controls next time. Some of villages had tents with camp beds to sleep on. I marked them on GPS and tempted to use next time. Plus the heated bank lobbies were great for a brief rest.