Author Topic: Groupset advice for Audax bike  (Read 29168 times)

Re: Groupset advice for Audax bike
« Reply #125 on: 24 November, 2010, 01:49:37 pm »
I was wondering if this could be my answer:

Sram Red XX 11-32 or 11-36 Ultimate Sportive Groupset Sram Red XX 11-32 or 11-36 Ultimate Sportive Groupset Only £1,199.99

If I had the 34T chainring would the 32 be sufficiently low or should I go the whole hog and get the 11-36?
I do like the look of the hoods and shifters on the SRAM red and I am reading good things about the durability and accuracy of shifting with this groupset. It isn't the cheapest bit of kit out there but I only intend to do this the once!

Does anyone know if I would need to order the braze-on version and then order a frame to be made with braze-ons, or should I be choosing the other band-on options (I have no clue what that means ...) and not getting braze ons?

I really need to order this stuff before the VAT rate goes up  ;D

« Reply #126 on: 24 November, 2010, 01:54:49 pm »
Band-on (the front changer clamps round the seat-tube) is more flexible should you decide to drastically change the size of your chainrings at some future time.

Personally I hate wide ratio cassettes because the jumps in gearing are too large to maintain a reasonably constant cadence.

« Reply #127 on: 24 November, 2010, 02:06:47 pm »
Band-on (the front changer clamps round the seat-tube) is more flexible should you decide to drastically change the size of your chainrings at some future time.

Personally I hate wide ratio cassettes because the jumps in gearing are too large to maintain a reasonably constant cadence.

Ah thanks, now I am going to have to work out what diameter the seat tube will be!

I am not very good at maintaining a constant cadence, my Garmin shows that I generally descend hills with zero cad (because I am knackered and need the recovery time after climbing LOL), do somewhere around 65 on the flat and then max out at something like 100 trying to spin up hills.
Check out the horrible truth on my recent Glamorgan Glamour 100k. I am only glad I didn't use the heart rate monitor that day...  :facepalm:   

Glamorgan Glamour 100km Audax 2010 by fujifeline at Garmin Connect - Details  

« Reply #128 on: 24 November, 2010, 02:14:10 pm »
Funny that SRAM have come up with this 'radical' idea. I've been running 42/28 for long enough that it's become a running joke within my group of audax mates, known as a 'Quiche chainset' because the 42T outer chainring isn't very manly. 42x11 ~= 50x13 or 53x14 stats fans.

I ran 46/34/24 for a year or two, the 24T inner getting used about 3 times a year. I started considering two-ring setups as I wanted to go to SRAM levers (previously mentioned LH lever double ring only), but I didn't want a 50/34 setup.

I started out with Middleburn RS7 cranks and 42/29 Duo chainrings, which served me well until earlier this year when I finally accepted that as it was a MTB chainset the rings were the equivalent of the middle and outer on a triple, hence poor chainline in the 42 ring.

My current solution is my Stronglight Impact triple chainset with just middle and inner 42/28 rings. I can use Shimano indestructable sq taper BBs as a bonus.

At £300 for the SRAM XX chainset I don't I'll be taking the plunge soon.

« Reply #129 on: 24 November, 2010, 02:29:52 pm »
I would feel a bit mean expecting YACFers to donate their time for free when I have very few skillz to offer in return.

Cake and beer are the usual currencies..

« Reply #130 on: 24 November, 2010, 02:32:27 pm »
I would feel a bit mean expecting YACFers to donate their time for free when I have very few skillz to offer in return.

Cake and beer are the usual currencies..

Awesome! I wouldn't be cruel enough to actually try to bake a cake though, I would sub-contract out that job to my local bakery  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #131 on: 24 November, 2010, 02:37:27 pm »
Funny that SRAM have come up with this 'radical' idea. I've been running 42/28 for long enough that it's become a running joke within my group of audax mates, known as a 'Quiche chainset' because the 42T outer chainring isn't very manly. 42x11 ~= 50x13 or 53x14 stats fans.
Sounds good to me. Sceptics should note that 42x11 at 100rpm gives 30mph. (120rpm gives 36mph should you feel the need.)

The only people I see pedalling at >30mph on an Audax are usually spinning considerably faster than 100rpm. :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #132 on: 24 November, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »
You need to think hard and be sure that a double is for you, Feline.  It may well be as you've indicated that you don't mind relatively big jumps at the back.  But a triple is the safe and more versatile bet if in doubt.

And I wouldn't buy a groupset package for the convenience of a single purchase - only if it saved money.  In fact I found it cheaper to buy the components individually from various sources for my audax-style bike - as some were special offers or old stock.  This also enables making a mixture from different groups.

I know this gets complicated, but we're here to help!

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #133 on: 24 November, 2010, 04:59:41 pm »

I ran 46/34/24 for a year or two, the 24T inner getting used about 3 times a year. I started considering two-ring setups as I wanted to go to SRAM levers (previously mentioned LH lever double ring only), but I didn't want a 50/34 setup.

I started out with Middleburn RS7 cranks and 42/29 Duo chainrings, which served me well until earlier this year when I finally accepted that as it was a MTB chainset the rings were the equivalent of the middle and outer on a triple, hence poor chainline in the 42 ring.

My current solution is my Stronglight Impact triple chainset with just middle and inner 42/28 rings. I can use Shimano indestructable sq taper BBs as a bonus.

At £300 for the SRAM XX chainset I don't I'll be taking the plunge soon.

i fully agree that 42/11 is sufficient top gear for audaxing and riding about. for low gears i would aim the same tooth count in the front and back. i've looked at sram xx cranks some time ago and while they might be perfect for purpose built mtbs, they are not ideal for an audax bike (chainline, special derailleur mount). my personal preference is single ring in the front, giving 30-93 inches range meaning i can go up 20% hills and spin out at 40-45mph going downhill. this got me through all the terrains in the last few years, but i haven't cycled in wales. i would probably change the gearing to 27-86 inches for something like mille cymru.

« Reply #134 on: 24 November, 2010, 05:09:23 pm »
This year:
Scotland 1300k: lowest gear 29x27 ~= 29"
Wales 1000k: lowest gear 28x28 ~= 27"
No need to be afraid of Wales on 30" zigzag!

I don't remember using 42x11 on either rides. 42x12 maybe.

My advice to Feline would be buy whatever you think will serve you best now, and plan to buy something else next year when you rethink what you want.

« Reply #135 on: 27 November, 2010, 12:09:57 am »
My preference is:

Shifters:  Campag Ergos,
Chainset: Campag 53/42/30 triple
Front Mech: Campag triple
Hubs: Shimano XT MTB hubs
Rear Mech: Shimano XT long cage
Cassette:  9 speed 11-28 shimano SLX mtb cassette.  

With this set up I've got a massive down hill gear (117) and a tiny up hill gear (28) and the hubs can cope with any muck that audax chuck at them.  

How do you get the Campag to work with Shimano, do you use something like a Jtek ShiftMate?

Rode through a few deep puddles on the Dartmoor Devil audax and it killed a cartridge bearing in my rear Ambrosio Zenith hub, I would like to replace wheels with MTB cup and cone hub wheels eventually for better weatherproofing and serviceability (never had wheel bearing trouble with my MTBs).

Got 9-speed Campag triple gears with a 12-28 cassette which work well apart from the cartridge bearings, got the bust bearing out ok, but had to modify the hub with a dremel to get the new one to go in.

« Reply #136 on: 27 November, 2010, 01:15:18 pm »
* Rear Mech: Shimano XT long cage
* Jtek ShiftMate?

No need to bother with the above, try this instead. It will easily cope with 29t cassettes:

« Reply #137 on: 27 November, 2010, 02:16:02 pm »

How do you get the Campag to work with Shimano, do you use something like a Jtek ShiftMate?

Some will say that Ergos will work with a Shimano back end adequately.  Not my experience.  I've got Ergo (9-speed) driving Shimano 9 speed rear through a Shiftmate on two bikes (inc our tandem) and it works fine provided you align the Shiftmate pulley properly (there's a flat side, which must be in the "dead" area of the cable run).

« Reply #138 on: 27 November, 2010, 02:59:01 pm »
Some will say that Ergos will work with a Shimano back end adequately.  Not my experience.  I've got Ergo (9-speed) driving Shimano 9 speed rear through a Shiftmate on two bikes

If you want Ergos with an 8 speed or 9 speed Shimano back end, you have to use 10 speed Ergos.
8 speed works as is, 9 speed needs the cable clamping on the mech in a non standard manner

It isn't as useful a trick as it used to be - Campag have weakened the detents in current Ergos, and the stronger springs in Shimano mechs can overpower them, at the front at least.