Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3007018 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Someone posted a link on Facebook to an article in the Huddersfield Examiner.

It was written by its Editor, a chap named Wayne Ankers...

People might well have a binary response to this, some (like me) will think it totally fantastic, others might wonder. https://www.turingtumble.com/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
It's great.  A colleague brought a thing like it into the office in the 80s and we played with it on & off for hours.  I later built (ostensibly for my daughter) a ball-bearing run using a similar kind of flip-flop gate.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Text message from my wife this morning:
"I am assembling the rotovator"

I thought this sounded like a Prodigy lyric so asked if it was her tribute to Keith Flint.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

Discussing World Book Day (which is tomorrow) with m'colleague who is bereft of ideas for her son's costume. I suggested Arthur Dent, which would be easy enough - just a dressing gown and towel required - and it turns out her son has actually read HHTTG, though she thinks he wouldn't go for it.

Any other bright ideas? I also suggested Patrick Bateman...

Clare

• Is in NZ
As far as I can tell most male kids dress up as Harry Potter or Wally and most female kids as Hermoine Grainger or “a princess”.

My references are the school across the road and two colleagues with school ages kids.

How old is the child?

citoyen

As far as I can tell most male kids dress up as Harry Potter or Wally and most female kids as Hermoine Grainger or “a princess”.

Yes, they do seem the most popular options. I find the whole business a tad depressing - I'm really not sure what the purpose of WBD is supposed to be, because it doesn't really seem to be about promoting the actual reading of actual books.

How old is the child?

Last year of primary school, so I guess 10/11

Nothing says, "I don't read," like a football shirt. 

Beardy

• Shedist

Yes, they do seem the most popular options. I find the whole business a tad depressing - I'm really not sure what the purpose of WBD is supposed to be, because it doesn't really seem to be about promoting the actual reading of actual books.
Well, the children used to get a free book on WBD, one that was usually written especially for the occasion.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I don't think it's specially written, it's a slimmed down edition. And they get a token to spend on a similar book. I think it's a day to try and persuade kids who don't like reading that books can be fun.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

I don't recall my son ever getting a book or book token, it seemed to be all about the dressing up at his school.

That's good to know though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Harry Potter makes logical sense.  I mean, it popped into existence as a thing that had been around for ages in much the same way that World Book Day did.

My wife went to school today dressed as the Gruffalo . I did suggest Quasimodo , but the reception class scare quite easily .   
Its More Fun With Three .

Any other bright ideas? I also suggested Patrick Bateman...

Send him in a dress as The Boy in The Dress
Send him in a shirt and pullover with his hair parted on one side as one of the Famous five of secret seven or any other character from Enid Blighton or Roald Dahl
Send him in normal clothes as most modern boy characters, with some accessory to denote which one (e.g. a dragon or a windlass or whatever is in the books that the current crop of kids are reading)
Get a sheet and send him as a Roman or a poor person from the Horrible Histories
Dress him in grey and send him as the sword from The Silver Sword
Dress him in a black cloak and make a mortar board and send him as a teacher from any old school book
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

citoyen

Send him in a dress as The Boy in The Dress

That was in fact another suggestion I made... but judging by m’colleague’s response, I get the impression the young man in question isn’t quite progressive enough in his outlook for that.

Clare

• Is in NZ
Winston Smith.

Emperor's New Clothes? :-\

Just William?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

Send him in a shirt and pullover with his hair parted on one side as one of the Famous five of secret seven or any other character from Enid Blighton or Roald Dahl
He could sell train tickets, as in GWR's advertising campaign.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
A bit late now but for next year get some striped pyjamas and a razor....
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Paint one arm black and go as a petrol pump.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

It's amazing what you can look up on Google these days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47524760
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Cudzoziemiec

Hatton Garden ringleader 'Basil' found guilty over £14m heist
Anyone heard from Ceredigion... ?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
It was the only way I was able to afford the Council Tax.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
It was the only way I was able to afford the Council Tax.
"A police spokesman said 'he would have got clean away if he hadn't chosen to make his escape along a canal tow path. We just followed the splashes.'"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)