Author Topic: Where do permanent Events start from and go - can you help?  (Read 35883 times)

Phil W

Re: Where do permanent Events start from and go - can you help?
« Reply #200 on: 04 October, 2018, 10:51:19 pm »
Great updates won't hit map till next week now. All noted.

« Reply #201 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:56:25 am »
Figure of 8 corrected so northern loop is now shown

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #202 on: 05 October, 2018, 12:55:02 pm »
Spotted one last night while looking at the Ride round Ben Kilbreck; which i definitely absolutely have to do at some point, assuming the road has been reopened after the Garvault hotel.

Garvault is somehow north of Forsinard rather than in the lonely bleak place it should be... yes Forsinard is lonely and bleak but Garvault is even more so!!!
Can't correct until Sunday night at the earliest so if someone can sort that one before then!

Phil W

« Reply #203 on: 05 October, 2018, 02:12:47 pm »
I have added a column to the main sheet that shows whether an organiser has signed off their events have the correct controls / locations. So those events should no longer be updated without a very good reason.

« Reply #204 on: 05 October, 2018, 02:15:45 pm »
Spotted one last night while looking at the Ride round Ben Kilbreck; which i definitely absolutely have to do at some point, assuming the road has been reopened after the Garvault hotel.

Garvault is somehow north of Forsinard rather than in the lonely bleak place it should be... yes Forsinard is lonely and bleak but Garvault is even more so!!!
Can't correct until Sunday night at the earliest so if someone can sort that one before then!
Have corrected that by changing the AU09 'Ride round Ben KLIBreck' route (mapping) 'apex' to Syre (junction B871/B873, L $ ALTNAHARRA) and added Syre and its lat/long to the control list.
Got it ref organiser sign off, Phil.

Phil W

« Reply #205 on: 05 October, 2018, 04:20:12 pm »
Goole M62 services is somewhat west of where it should be and  Sleaford missing as start control for Yorkshire via Essex 600

« Reply #206 on: 05 October, 2018, 08:48:47 pm »
I've amended 'Goole M62 Services' to 'Goole'. Makes no difference to route shape. We are not seeking to define controls per se.
In RP01, have added in 'Sleaford' to the control list as the first location.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #207 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:59:56 pm »
All the Cambrian Series present and correct.  Great job - especially with all those wonderfully spelt place names.   One error on the Corsican ones which I've updated on the form, which reminds me to put in a plug.  5 rides at 100km - 600km all starting from Porto Vecchio.  They're just like the Cambrian Series only with sunshine, ride in May or September when it's warm and the tourists have gone.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Phil W

« Reply #208 on: 08 October, 2018, 04:30:25 pm »
Applied some more updates from organisers.

Some changes to mapping.
  • Put some polyfill in so should now work in older browsers (up to a point)
  • Clicking a control with just a single event passing through will now show that event as well as adding to event list in the menu.  Clicking an event marker has same affect.
  • You can now clear your entire event list.
  • You can go straight back to showing all events from a single event without having to go via the menu.
  • The zoom and scale controls are now bottom right, so not obscured if menu or event detail showing.

You may need to refresh your browser cache to pick up the mapping updates.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #209 on: 08 October, 2018, 04:33:00 pm »
Could you add the map link to the OP to help people coming into this from scratch?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Phil W

« Reply #210 on: 08 October, 2018, 04:35:47 pm »
Could you add the map link to the OP to help people coming into this from scratch?

Done

« Reply #211 on: 08 October, 2018, 04:43:02 pm »
... that definitely confirms that Phil has Superhuman Powers!

Thanks Phil.

« Reply #212 on: 08 October, 2018, 05:07:33 pm »
Nice updates.

Not sure what the current procedure for reporting issues is, but The Boat Ride (PST02) is showing up as both a ride and a control at Uxbridge.

Edit: Also, "Goole M62 services" is still the wrong side of the Pennines.

Phil W

« Reply #213 on: 08 October, 2018, 06:26:16 pm »
First bit, should be sorted in next update. Forgot about it in update just done.

Latest worksheet updates not pulled into mapping yet. Want to finish working through Organiser forms before I do that. We are getting precise locations from some so will be nice to mark those off as such.

So later this week at some point.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #214 on: 09 October, 2018, 08:54:49 am »
... that definitely confirms that Phil has Superhuman Powers!

Dunno about that but his approach in progressing this project is exemplary. Chapeau.

Phil W

« Reply #215 on: 09 October, 2018, 12:36:50 pm »
Have just entered a perm that has a control within 2 miles of the house.  Not something I knew before this mini project.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #216 on: 09 October, 2018, 10:49:53 pm »
Just looked at one I've done as event a few times; Stockport Eureka MW04 and I notice that one of the controls (Mickle Trafford) is in the wrong place.  It should be to the NE of Chester on A56.

Phil W

« Reply #217 on: 09 October, 2018, 11:35:03 pm »
Just looked at one I've done as event a few times; Stockport Eureka MW04 and I notice that one of the controls (Mickle Trafford) is in the wrong place.  It should be to the NE of Chester on A56.

Looks like a mistake in the coordinates provided by the organiser Mike.  Will sort tomorrow.

« Reply #218 on: 10 October, 2018, 03:15:57 pm »
Have corrected Poole and Bournemouth locations (lat/long).
Phil W or another has corrected Mickle Trafford location.
These corrections will take time to reflect for the reasons Phil has given.

Phil W

« Reply #219 on: 11 October, 2018, 08:00:55 pm »
Latest worksheet updates loaded into mapping today.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #220 on: 15 October, 2018, 02:41:42 pm »
How hard would it be to show whether the organiser accepts GPS as part of the description?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #221 on: 18 October, 2018, 09:26:39 pm »
How hard would it be to show whether the organiser accepts GPS as part of the description?
Somewhere on the hard/easy spectrum.
https://long-distance.rocks/auk/map/perms/
This project is designed to show where the permanents go (defined broadly by controls or route apices) and Phil has provided a direct link to the filtered routes' AUK pages (for more detail or/and to enter). Those pages, maintained (or at least fed with info) by individual Permanent organisers, may have lots of information on, or very little. One of those pieces of info might be "whether the organiser accepts [validation by] GPS" but the proportion of the 400+ pages which note this is rather low. Surely validation by GPS is low down on the list of factors which the vast majority of  prospective riders will take into account when contemplating which permanent would be fun to ride.
Distance, accessibility (proximity), nature of terrain/geography, types of roads, AAA would be my starting 5.
Thoughts?

Phil W

« Reply #222 on: 19 October, 2018, 02:17:04 pm »
Not going to happen Telstarbox.  Already shown on the aukweb entry page for each perm event and we would not be improving upon that.

Before a mini cycling tour (just returned) I had raised (with Francis) the possibility if setting up a sub domain say called maps.aukweb.net to use for the mapping. Then link directly from the aukweb.net perm event pages to the detailed map pages. Something to follow up on after the weekend. Also see what additional updates organisers have provided whilst I have been away.  Some have provided enough detail that their events can be updated to allow validation by GPS where they wish and I am helping some with this process. Then close off phase 1.

Phase 2 is login for organisers enabling them to edit control names /  locations directly in the mapping.  Plus I will probably add the ability to load a GPX so (if available) we can show that (in simplified form) in the mapping. More of a slow burn winter project.

Anything that relies on the current state of the Audax UK website or ends up tightly coupled / integrated is a bad idea right now.  But direct links is fine and easy to update whatever the future outcome of the IT refresh.

Phil W

« Reply #223 on: 21 October, 2018, 05:53:18 pm »
The URL has been updated as below and latest updates applied.

https://maps.long-distance.rocks/audax-uk-permanents/

If you want to see an epic permanent take a look at

https://maps.long-distance.rocks/audax-uk-permanents/SJ02

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #224 on: 02 November, 2018, 02:44:47 pm »
Just had another thought - would you allow use of the map to "share" DIY routes which they're happy for others to use - maybe a separate map to avoid confusion with the proper Perms? As we've seen with your Perms map it's a lot easier to understand your nearby options when they're mapped out like this.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000