Author Topic: [HAMR] A Record Too Dangerous to Break...  (Read 36971 times)

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
Re: A Record Too Dangerous to Break...
« Reply #175 on: 13 June, 2013, 10:02:13 am »
On the subject of (modest) sponsorship and exposure, I reckon road.cc might be interested.
Powered by Minions

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #176 on: 13 June, 2013, 01:25:13 pm »
TG has written extensively about his latest thoughts/position:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=72564.msg1498890#msg1498890
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #177 on: 19 June, 2013, 10:03:19 pm »
teethgrinder - seriously, get in touch if you want to give it a go. I would be delighted to help as your experience would add tons to my research. My book will not be out for ages as I am not only looking into the history but also the logistics and issues surrounding a modern attempt.

I have the Guinness criteria - to summarise, you have to do it on a velodrome or track with time keepers. Forget them if you want to ride on roads as they will not recognise it. There is more to this, but not on a public forum.

I also contacted RRA last year, they will not recognise it either as they have a strict set of guidelines including pre-advertising routes and witnesses that they do not feel could apply to this record.

You would have to do it for the kudos as I believe you would find it very difficult to get into the formal record books. But remember that the record was never sanctioned by Guinness or the RRA, it was Cycling Magazines challenge and they ratified it.

Would it not be appropriate for Audax---the long distance cyclists association---to set out some simple criteria for this record?
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #178 on: 19 June, 2013, 10:22:22 pm »
We've had a chat about it.
He'd really like a definite year which I can't give.
I was hoping for 2014, but the only way that will happen is if I get sponsorship. I'm not entirely keen on that because there is the chance of them pulling out. I'd expect to start the year behind the required average mileage and make up for it in the summer, just as Tommy Godwin did, which may make any sponsors feel edgy. Plus I'm not exactly confident that I would succeed.

When we did chat it did act as a bit of a wake up call to see if I could fund it myself.
I think that 2015 is a possibilty. I was hoping to get the fast bike for this at least started by now but I'm still trying to get some money together for that. I thought I'd at least have a frame or pair of wheels by now, but haven't got either.
After I've done the 24hr and LEL and had some fun getting some miles in (I'm thinking of trying to match Tommy's best week of about 2100 miles in August, among other rides I want to do) I'll look into finding evening work and maybe weekend work to see if I can get some money together. So I'll have a better idea when I see how much cash I can rake in.
My aim is to have all the bikes an equipment ready before 2014.

« Reply #179 on: 07 January, 2014, 01:39:48 am »
Bump for Justice.

Is there any progress with this TG? Would definitely be interested to hear!

« Reply #180 on: 07 January, 2014, 08:44:09 pm »
Not much yet. :(
I think I've solved the "what tyres to use" problem and will try some tubeless tyres, once I have the money to get the wheels (plus brakes and new forks to use disk brakes) so should have the bike up and running sometime in February.
Then it's a matter of getting the money together which I'm almost starting on.

« Reply #181 on: 07 January, 2014, 08:58:24 pm »
This months Cycling Plus has a feature on the record ride. Even claiming on a modern machine Tommy may have covered over 90,000 miles !

« Reply #182 on: 08 January, 2014, 11:40:27 am »
^^Gotcha, sounds good :) keep us posted!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #183 on: 01 January, 2015, 04:23:12 pm »
I've moved this topic into the TG record board because, well, it's where it all began.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #184 on: 01 January, 2015, 07:21:39 pm »
Does that make me guilty of this whole affair?  ;) ;D

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #185 on: 02 January, 2015, 12:06:30 pm »
Does that make me guilty of this whole affair?  ;) ;D

.....as charged