Author Topic: 'Customer' Feedback Surveys  (Read 4783 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
'Customer' Feedback Surveys
« on: 03 December, 2018, 06:46:49 pm »
are getting on my tits!

Seems you can't do ANYTHING without these intrusions.

Looks like I've missed a second one (by phone) following my recent minor surgery and they'll send it to me by post.

What fun!

Re: 'Customer' Feedback Surveys
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2018, 07:58:59 pm »
I had an automated survey on my phone after a recent consultation and xray on my knee to
confirm that a surgeon is putting me on his waiting list for a knee replacement operation.

One of the questions was: "Would you recommed this trust to family and friends for the procedure
you recently had"? Family live in different parts of the country and friends/acquaintences wouldn't
really have much choice, since they aren't rich enough to afford private healthcare.

I declined to complete the survey and deleted it.

[edit: oh, and I've just received one for an item I ordered today that has yet to arrive].

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2018, 08:16:46 pm »
One of the questions was: "Would you recommed this trust to family and friends for the procedure
you recently had"? Family live in different parts of the country and friends/acquaintences wouldn't
really have much choice, since they aren't rich enough to afford private healthcare.

This "would you recommend this X to your family" seems to be a new NHS-wide metric for whether services are any good or not.  I suppose you have to view it in the spirit in which it's intended, and not get hung up on specifics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2018, 08:37:32 pm »

This "would you recommend this X to your family" seems to be a new NHS-wide metric for whether services are any good or not.  I suppose you have to view it in the spirit in which it's intended, and not get hung up on specifics.

Up to a point, Lord Copper!

The service I got from CMH was fine BUT it's 6 miles and two buses from here. It has no taxi rank. Transport and access are a real PITA and no local cabbies wanted to ferry me to the back of beyond at 6.30am.

I waited six months from my initial outpatient assessment (which was 3 ½ months from my initial referral) to the date of surgery.

I should have gone for a pre-op assessment at 8.30am a few weeks ago. I managed to skip that but it would have been another long trek for scant purpose. Minor surgery under local anaesthesia really does not need this.

There were around ten members of staff in theatre. I'm sure some were students/trainees but I have seen smaller teams managing a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm!

I had similar surgery at my local community hospital 8 years ago. It seemed to involve fewer hospital visits, staff and logistic hassles.

In reality, I doubt I would recommend the place to family because it's SO inconvenient.

It seems much patient and staff time is occupied with wasteful non-clinical matters!

« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2018, 09:28:52 pm »
This "would you recommend this X to your family"...
No, because they'll have to complete a feedback survey afterwards?

ian

« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:04:48 pm »
Ignore them. I do. If I wasn't happy with the service, I'd say so. They don't need me to grade them on a 0-5 scale and I'm not about to. Email surveys go in the trash, postal get ignored, and phone get told to go away.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:06:35 pm »
The ‘would you recommend our product/service to your friends/family’ question is usually accompanied by an eleven point scale 0 to 10. It’s called Net Promoter Score and gives the grown ups a single metric to measure their bonus company by. It’s all the rage with the MBA class and like most of their ‘flavour of the month’ approach to management it’s especially pointless and a waste of everybody’s time.
Clever people have comprehensively debunked it, so I won’t waste your time reading my prose, just google NPS debunked or some such.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:22:36 pm »
Yup, fed up with follow-up requests to rate products/services, even for the most mundane things. So my policy now is to delete them all without responding.

Some of them are not passive either. Virgin Mobile has repeatedly requested me to rate their service in an email that admits they will share the results with their sales team "to ensure you are getting the products and services you want". FOAD

« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:25:24 pm »
Yup, fed up with follow-up requests to rate products/services, even for the most mundane things. So my policy now is to delete them all without responding.

Some of them are not passive either. Virgin Mobile has repeatedly requested me to rate their service in an email that admits they will share the results with their sales team "to ensure you are getting the products and services you want". FOAD

+1 to all of this.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:56:23 pm »
This seems like a good time to pull in the perennial rant about websites that pop up a dialog asking you to complete a feedback survey when you've only been on the website for 3 nanoseconds.

essexian

« Reply #10 on: 04 December, 2018, 07:37:37 am »
Don't talk to me about Customer Feedback......

I have been doing workshops or whatever the flavour of the month is to call them since the year Dot....indeed, perhaps even before then I can't remember and must have done around 100 of them. I spent several years studying how to teach adults so have some idea what I am doing.

Anyway, reading the feedback sheet from a recent session I noted my first ever "poor" score against my teaching. Reading further the comments, it seems that the student didn't like the material and hates the process I was teaching. They didn't mention anything I did wrong but the mark goes down against me. Rather unfair that IMHO. 

And of course the feedback wasn't signed so I can't fail their assessment  >:(

As to the rest of the feedback sheets, most were fully positive if not completed fully. I do wonder sometimes about the ability of the current generation to understand ideas fully.  :facepalm:

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #11 on: 04 December, 2018, 08:10:42 am »
Hospital uses a number that my (£1 pcm) 'phone scheme won't let me call, then I won't do an SMS survey because the 'phone is old and crude (does a 'phone become like its owner?) and complex texts are a RPITA.
I hate the sites that ask for feedback - also those that have a pop-up/over for 'newsletter' by email when I prefer RSS.
Bastards!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #12 on: 04 December, 2018, 08:22:49 am »
I'm a professional buyer. If I don't fill them in they chase and chase. At what point might I be recommending the services of any of my providers to my friends and family?
Hey, mates, need any ethyl acetate? Ineos make a great one!

Apparently it's part of one of the ISO standards that customers are polled for feedback.

« Reply #13 on: 04 December, 2018, 08:24:10 am »

If that's the case then they should rephrase the question.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 04 December, 2018, 08:49:22 am »
I'm a professional buyer. If I don't fill them in they chase and chase. At what point might I be recommending the services of any of my providers to my friends and family?
Hey, mates, need any ethyl acetate? Ineos make a great one!

Apparently it's part of one of the ISO standards that customers are polled for feedback.
And that’s because Standards and easier to manage than people.
It is simpler than it looks.

Ben T

« Reply #15 on: 04 December, 2018, 09:34:07 am »
I have a filter on gmail :

Matches: (subject:("please review" OR "review your recent purchase" OR "We’d love to get your feedback" OR "Review your products" OR "We would love to hear your thoughts" OR "Feedback request" OR "How would you rate" OR "Satisfaction Survey" OR "minutes of your time" OR "Special offer!" OR "We'd really like your valuable feedback" OR "Please review your recent" OR "Last chance to save" OR "Your feedback is important" OR "We value your opinion" OR "Tell us what you think" OR "How did we do" OR "share your opinions" OR "Would you recommend" OR "How was your recent" OR [lots of others to do with GDPR] ))
Do this: Mark as read, Delete it

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 04 December, 2018, 10:57:52 am »
I've had those "How likely would you be to recommend?" surveys from NHS but always ignored them. Some of them sent in the post, and when I ignore them, they send another a month or so later. I guess it boosts the local recycling stats. But the ones that annoy me most are if you buy something particularly I think from ebay, and they send you a review request before the thing has even arrived. So I ignore those too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17 on: 04 December, 2018, 01:09:58 pm »
The ones that annoy me the most are the ones that continually text you frrom different numbers. It's a pretty simple task to block some irritant company's number on your phone, but when they keep using different numbers, there's no way to keep up. "Rate our service!". "Fuck off!!" And they still keep coming, as there's no way to unsubscribe. Even though of course, you never subscribed in the first place - you just bought a pizza from them once. Dicks...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 04 December, 2018, 03:30:50 pm »
I've had those "How likely would you be to recommend?" surveys from NHS but always ignored them. Some of them sent in the post, and when I ignore them, they send another a month or so later. I guess it boosts the local recycling stats. But the ones that annoy me most are if you buy something particularly I think from ebay, and they send you a review request before the thing has even arrived. So I ignore those too.

The nice young nurse gave me the first round of feedback survey before I could escape the hospital. While I might be tempted to scream 'Fuck Off!' to an automated phone call or delete an email, I wouldn't do that to a Real Person.

It did me the opportunity to grouch about the receptionist's failure/refusal to use a low desk when facing a wheelchair user.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #19 on: 04 December, 2018, 04:04:18 pm »
I find they give me feedback surveys before I've even had the appointment, often having volunteers roped in to do it. I feel quite pressured by the whole thing which is stressful.

Sadly I know if the response rate is low, it is frontline staff who will be harangued by their management. A friend who deals with these for work says than anything less than 5/5 or 10/10 is marked as failure which is also horrible cos sometimes non 100% service is beyond the scope of the hard working frontline workers.

I hated having to chase students for feedback in my last job too. Especially for those who had given genuine feedback in emails but our management didn't want to listen cos accessibility wasn't convenient, and so could be dismissed as 1 person said... The fact that one person was blind or using a wheelchair so had CLUE was ignored... I may have had some rows with MBA dickheads about value of low-% impairment group people's feedback being drowned by non disabled people and that under PSED their erasure was unlawful - they hated that. Fuckwits!

Ben T

« Reply #20 on: 04 December, 2018, 08:28:21 pm »
Apparently the modus operandi of some car dealerships is to contact you to ask if you were fully satisfied with the service, and then if you say you were fully satisfied, they forward your details to the head office (their bosses) for them to ask you the same question, but if you weren't fully satisfied, they don't.
Ergo, if you want to have a whinge about them to head office, then say you were fully satisfied when they first contact you.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21 on: 04 December, 2018, 09:01:11 pm »
Sadly I know if the response rate is low, it is frontline staff who will be harangued by their management. A friend who deals with these for work says than anything less than 5/5 or 10/10 is marked as failure which is also horrible cos sometimes non 100% service is beyond the scope of the hard working frontline workers.
That's absurd. Nobody ever gets 100%, nobody ever gets zero. First rule of surveys, tests, exams and quizzes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22 on: 04 December, 2018, 09:07:40 pm »
I have that with a supplier at work. They send NPS surveys, which is fair enough, and then ask what they'd have to do to get a 10 instead of a 9. I generally answer that I don't give 10 unless I cannot imagine that anyone could ever be better, but they don't entirely get it - I think, because the management are setting them targets that require 10.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23 on: 04 December, 2018, 09:38:49 pm »
Under ‘classic’ NPS only 9 or 10 are considered as positive answers, so a 9 is a bare pass. It’s a totally barking system, but the output provides a simple easy to understand metric and anything less than perfect means the grownups have a stick to beat the hoi poloi so it’s popular.

When I bought my current car the salesman asked me what extras he could,give me to get a 10!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #24 on: 04 December, 2018, 10:14:29 pm »
When you think about it, with a regular supplier, it would be madness to give a 10, because it would mean that they could relax, and their management would stop pressing them to give me better :demon: :demon:

But then, it's only one of countless systems, in all works of life, that have not been designed to take account of the rational behaviour of the people to whom it was applied. We might also mention:
  • Roads
  • Many Web sites (the field in which I work)
  • Products of many other kinds