Author Topic: Boom length chain adjuster  (Read 2580 times)

Boom length chain adjuster
« on: 12 March, 2023, 06:39:32 pm »
So I've made the mistake of letting MrsH have a go on the Trice XL on the trainer, which necessitated bringing the boom in by 3.5 inches, with adjustments to the chain tubes and taking out a section of chain (plus tweaking the cable length on the front derailleur) - but she liked it, in a type 2 fun kind of way.

So, rather than the faff of changing length every time we swap between us, there seems two options.

1. Get a tensioner to take up the slack. I've seen the Terracycles and the Ice ones, they are quite spendy.
2. Get rid of MrsH, and trade her in for a younger, leggier model with the same inside leg length as me. This is probably more spendy than option 1 though, to be honest.

Going back to tensioners, the ICE one is probably easier to get in the UK, and looks as if it'll automatically adjust the length without relying on springs as it adjusts the chain by twice the boom length difference. Ease of adjustment is pretty critical if MrsH is to do it herself; loosen the boom with the quick releases that come with the kit, adjust to a measured length, tighten, front derailleur onto smallest ring and take up the cable slack is within her skillset. Finding the masterlinks, removing a section of chain without loosing the rest of it up the chain tubes, then rejoining probably isn't going to happen without me there getting oily.

Is there any other easy way of taking up slack I should be looking at?

Re: Boom length chain adjuster
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2023, 06:49:24 pm »
Get a second trike?  Somewhat in the middle cost-wise between options 1 and 2.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2023, 07:09:48 pm »
Sadly lack of space means that particular N+1 won't happen. The Trice sits on the trainer as somewhere to store it as much as anything, there isn't room for a second trike in the pain cave.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2023, 07:13:36 pm »
option #2 sounds most favourite.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2023, 07:17:18 pm »
3. Your wife wears 3.5 inch platform heels 👠 whilst on the turbo.

« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2023, 07:27:59 pm »
That is always an option, though with the price of shoes probably more expensive than an adjuster.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2023, 09:22:15 pm »
There's also the pedal car approach to rapid leg-length adjustment of chuck an appropriate amount of extra padding on the seat.  Might just be acceptable for turbo purposes?

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2023, 11:11:49 pm »
That's not a bad idea, to at least see if she uses it enough to justify the money on a tensioner.
I'm not sure if padding would push her too far forward so that the leading edge of the seat would dig in, though more padding could sort that. Worth a try anyway.

I did notice that Ice sell a gizmo that moves the seat forwards (or backwards), though that is a fixed amount to take into account long or short leg lengths that the boom can't adapt to rather than a variable adjuster like a car has.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2023, 03:41:01 pm »
Given that it is for use on the trainer, is the excess chain length sufficiently low to let it just dangle. Not ideal, and certainly not to be tried on the road, but for a static situation you might get away with it.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2023, 05:33:29 pm »
No, unfortunately. That was what I tried first, there was simply too much and it wouldn't stay on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 14 March, 2023, 05:47:53 pm »
Finding the masterlinks, removing a section of chain without loosing the rest of it up the chain tubes, then rejoining probably isn't going to happen without me there getting oily.

Just to revisit this, the secret to not losing chain down the tubes is to insert an R-clip or similar through the chain link at the opening of the tube before splitting it.

(I always remember this slightly too late when performing chain maintenance on barakta's trike.  Neither the Streetmachine (where you can feed in chain from the chainring end and let gravity keep it going where it's supposed to) nor the Red Baron (where there's only a short section of tube to protect the fork) have this problem.)

« Reply #11 on: 14 March, 2023, 07:59:50 pm »
Yes, I figured that tip out a couple of years ago when I last played with the chain on this, after losing it down the tubes.

And remembered about 0.5s after the chain disappeared down the tube on Sunday  :facepalm: It's doubly awkward at the moment because the front wheels are chocked up a bit high to give clearance on the trainer (could come down a bit, but the boxes it's sitting on were to hand...) and it's blocked in so I can only easily get to the front, not the sides or rear.

Still, I managed by just stuffing the chain back up the tube, there was enough length to cope with that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 14 March, 2023, 08:02:08 pm »
Sadly I didn’t have any such Stuffs around when the Trice b0rked its chain halfway round a 300.  Bad Swears ensued.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 14 March, 2023, 08:12:48 pm »
Sadly I didn’t have any such Stuffs around when the Trice b0rked its chain halfway round a 300.  Bad Swears ensued.

I bet a Mk 1 cable tie would work, but obviously not any of the sizes you might be carrying.