Author Topic: Is the Bacchetta Giro 20 suitable for audax?  (Read 3342 times)

Is the Bacchetta Giro 20 suitable for audax?
« on: 20 May, 2023, 03:41:44 pm »
Looking at a first recumbent primarily for audax, and maybe a bit of light touring as a secondary requirement.
The Bacchetta Giro 20 has been suggested as an option (I am a shorty at 5'5", which might limit my options).

Would be interested to get opinions from Giro 20 owners (or ex owners) about whether this machine would be suitable for audax (say upto LEL distances)?

Re: Is the Bacchetta Giro 20 suitable for audax?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2023, 07:44:05 pm »
The Giro 20 is a great all rounder IMO. I’ve ridden mine on audaxes up to 200km and it’s been fine. I’m not a particularly fast rider but in my experience, it doesn’t give up much on speed compared to the other ‘bents I’ve ridden. For me it’s main disadvantage is having to carry two different size spare tubes :)

Having said all of that, don’t discount other ‘bents because of your height. I’m 5’6” and have managed okay on various high racers.

You’re more than welcome to try my Giro for size if you want  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2023, 10:28:55 pm »
I’d quite happily do a 200k on mine.  So long as not really hilly.  Where are you?  Anywhere local to me (Hull) you’re more than welcome to try mine.

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2023, 07:57:22 am »
Thank you both. Good to hear that it is audax capable.

I’d quite happily do a 200k on mine.  So long as not really hilly.  Where are you?  Anywhere local to me (Hull) you’re more than welcome to try mine.

Very kind offer, thank you, I am in Essex, which is a little bit far away though. I think GavinC may be a bit closer.

You’re more than welcome to try my Giro for size if you want  :thumbsup:

I didn't realise that you had one of these! I'll drop you a pm.

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2023, 01:49:01 pm »
Essex, not a million miles away from DTek at Ely I suppose.  He usually has lots of different models/types you can try.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2023, 09:38:12 pm »
Essex, not a million miles away from DTek at Ely I suppose.  He usually has lots of different models/types you can try.

if you can ever get hold of him
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2023, 09:58:33 pm »
I have one, the older version with rim brakes. I'm not entirely convinced it would be comfortable up to LEL distances though current seats may be better than what I have.

You'd be welcome to come and try it out, it would definitely fit you (I'm 5'6" and there's plenty of adjustment left). I may even be convinced to sell it (dynamo lighting, under-seat panniers, rear bag, well maintained). Based near Peterborough.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2023, 11:07:02 pm »
Just an update. I contacted Kevin at dtek who was most responsiveness and helpful.
The upshot is that I now have a pre-loved Giro 20 in great condition. I've swapped out the v-brakes for mechanical disks to eliminate the need in future to replace worn out rims.
Been on a few wobbly rides and still need to work on my standing starts and slow-speed handling. My plan is to attempt some flatland audax events soon and take it from there.
Great fun so far!

« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2023, 11:34:13 am »
Great stuff, and a 20” front wheel is fine for audax.  You can get tubeless fast tyres (pro ones) if you want a little extra speed, same for back, with suitable rims. Main way to get faster is simply to commit to riding your new recumbent majority of time to develop the legs etc. 

I used Contact Urban 32-406 on front on my P-38 for all my audaxes up to 1,000km.  But I’m recently on pro one tubeless, having sourced tubeless rims and built up a tubeless dynamo wheel. They do roll faster based on my rides so far.

I’m no slower than road bike over audax distance, even ones with hills, taking in Chilterns, Cotswolds, Wales etc. This is only after committing to making my recumbent my bike of choice for vast majority of my riding. When I rode it occasionally that wasn’t happening.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2023, 07:59:14 pm »
Word on velomobilforum.de is that the quality assurance on the Pro One is abysmal, many complaints about un-roundness, and defects after just a few hundreds kilometers.

The Contact Urban otoh is well regarded, and also available in 42mm and even 50mm. Sadly I'm limited to 28mm with my rig (which is why I will try the Pro One shortly before PBP, but keep the slow Contact Speed as a backup).

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2023, 05:15:35 pm »
Word on velomobilforum.de is that the quality assurance on the Pro One is abysmal, many complaints about un-roundness, and defects after just a few hundreds kilometers.

The Contact Urban otoh is well regarded, and also available in 42mm and even 50mm. Sadly I'm limited to 28mm with my rig (which is why I will try the Pro One shortly before PBP, but keep the slow Contact Speed as a backup).

Well…

Tyre was soft and found a bulge in the 28-406 tubeless pro one this morning. I’m suspecting delaminating, but I just replaced with one of my other non tubeless tyres with a tube, as was about to set off on a 100km outing.   The pro one is going to be sent back as defective for a refund.  Shame there isn’t a wide pool of 406 tubeless tyres to choose from.

« Reply #11 on: 17 June, 2023, 05:25:55 pm »
Just an update. I contacted Kevin at dtek who was most responsiveness and helpful.
The upshot is that I now have a pre-loved Giro 20 in great condition. I've swapped out the v-brakes for mechanical disks to eliminate the need in future to replace worn out rims.
Been on a few wobbly rides and still need to work on my standing starts and slow-speed handling. My plan is to attempt some flatland audax events soon and take it from there.
Great fun so far!
Sounds great. Did you get the Recurve seat or the euromesh? What metal is the frame and what metal is the fork?

« Reply #12 on: 17 June, 2023, 08:57:32 pm »
Sounds great. Did you get the Recurve seat or the euromesh? What metal is the frame and what metal is the fork?

It came with a Euromesh seat. The frame is alu. Not sure about the fork, think it's steel.

Looked at some accessories on the Bacchetta website - universal rack, OAB light mount, and a spare hanger. However, decided they will have to wait when I saw the $120 shipping fee from the US (plus import duty/tax) !

« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2023, 08:51:31 am »
Mine was steel frame with aluminium fork. Steel fork is better if you have a disc brake. Yes Biden is a toe rag for opposing a free trade deal!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2023, 02:15:52 pm »
The import duty on bicycle bits, or whole bicycles predates Biden by a long way. 

That's what used to make the eurobents much more ubiquitous in the UK than things like the Cruzbike which just ended up ridiculously expensive
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #15 on: 04 July, 2023, 09:32:57 pm »

I’m coming to the same conclusion on the pro one tubeless in 406 regarding its quality control and roundness. The rear 622 pro one has been fine. But the 406 is problematic in the two out of two I’ve fitted up front.  I think the front will be going back to tubes. But possibly with a tpu tube , which I’ve heard gives just as low a rolling resistance when used with the tube schwalbe one.