Author Topic: PBP 2011 qualification & entry  (Read 90308 times)

Re: PBP 2011, rulechanges
« Reply #50 on: 03 April, 2009, 03:26:38 pm »
I think he meant that BRM events for 2010 have to be registered, approved and in the calendar by a September 2009 deadline.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #51 on: 03 April, 2009, 03:27:11 pm »
I think he meant that BRM events for 2010 have to be registered, approved and in the calendar by a September 2009 deadline.

Bingo.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #52 on: 03 April, 2009, 06:24:55 pm »
I think organisers should make more events BRM's The extra cost on the entry is hardly going to break the bank.

Up to now, Orgs haven't been encouraged to do this.  In years gone by, ACP have even discouraged AUK from swamping the international calendar with too many UK events.  Obviously now there may be a change of emphasis. 
And it has to be mentioned that BRM events are very hard going for those at the validation end of things - a lot of extra work for (from AUK's point of view) no return.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #53 on: 03 April, 2009, 09:00:20 pm »

Does anybody know which (if any) other 1200km events require BRM series to qualify?

Most North American 1200s and the Scandinavian Super Brevet 1200 require an SR as qualification.  Some organisers have accepted BR, rather than BRM.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #54 on: 03 April, 2009, 09:10:00 pm »

Does anybody know which (if any) other 1200km events require BRM series to qualify?

1001 Miglia Italia (1600km), which is running again in 2010,  required either a 2007 PBP or a 2008 LRM 600. Otherwise you could impress the organiser with your impressive palmares.  I got the impression that in practice all you had to do was to ask nicely.

No qualifying requirements for Hamburg-Berlin-Köln-Hamburg 1500 (also due to be held in 2010)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #55 on: 03 April, 2009, 10:57:41 pm »
Funnily enough I was thinking of something for the SW next year. French-style with a night start.
Ian, I guess you mean your 600.

A night-start 400 sounds ghastly (finishing in the dark for nearly everyone).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #56 on: 03 April, 2009, 11:10:20 pm »

Vorsprung and I are plotting.

Martin

« Reply #57 on: 03 April, 2009, 11:16:08 pm »

Most North American 1200s and the Scandinavian Super Brevet 1200 require an SR as qualification.  Some organisers have accepted BR, rather than BRM.

to clarify; is there any reason why almost all UK calendar BR's are run at a minimum 15kph rather than the minimum possible of 14.3 other than to save having to retime them in PBP year?

« Reply #58 on: 03 April, 2009, 11:28:38 pm »

to clarify; is there any reason why almost all UK calendar BR's are run at a minimum 15kph rather than the minimum possible of 14.3 other than to save having to retime them in PBP year?

I think the organisers' page defaults to 15.

Martin

« Reply #59 on: 03 April, 2009, 11:33:11 pm »

I think the organisers' page defaults to 15.

I thought 15 was the minimum; right up until I completed my first and only DIY 400

« Reply #60 on: 04 April, 2009, 12:54:56 am »
1001 Miglia Italia (1600km), which is running again in 2010,  required either a 2007 PBP or a 2008 LRM 600. Otherwise you could impress the organiser with your impressive palmares.  I got the impression that in practice all you had to do was to ask nicely.
Interesting stuff [you can count on JS to know these kind of details]. How come they're running it again in 2010, two years after 2008? I suppose the answer is: because they want too, I guess!
No qualifying requirements for Hamburg-Berlin-Köln-Hamburg 1500 (also due to be held in 2010)

Also interesting. But quite frankly, with all this hoo-ha, as this ride is in 2010, I could only consider such an undertaking if it was classified as a BRM  ;D
Garry Broad

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #61 on: 04 April, 2009, 09:46:12 am »
Interesting stuff [you can count on JS to know these kind of details]. How come they're running it again in 2010, two years after 2008? I suppose the answer is: because they want too, I guess!
Since you asked:
La manifestazione verrà riproposta nel 2010 con cadenza biennale con il traguardo di inserirsi tra le manifestazioni a livello mondiale che si svolgeranno nel 2015 in occasione dell’ EXPO MONDIALE MILANO 2015.

They want to make it a world-class event by the time Milan becomes the centre of world attention in 2015. Four years would give them only one chance (2012) to get things right by then. That seems to be the theory, anyway.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #62 on: 04 April, 2009, 11:08:28 am »
I thought 15 was the minimum; right up until I completed my first and only DIY 400

I think it should be made the minimum. Note that this would have put me out of time on last year's Dean and also several DIY rides I've done (I finished Thorne to Alston DIY 200 with 2 minutes to spare thanks to 14.3kph and 20km-ish detour to follow the LEL route through Coxwold.)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #63 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:05:16 pm »

1001 Miglia Italia (1600km), which is running again in 2010...   

I was really inspired by tales and RR of this ride (and not just the roadside whores either) and would be tempted to foreign climes in the future although possibly not PBP again.

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that I will be doing anything like this next year as it wipes out my life at weekends too much and can only be tolerated on alternate years.

Otherwise you could impress the organiser with your impressive palmares.

Oh John, you are awful.....

H

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #64 on: 06 April, 2009, 08:57:07 am »
Funnily enough I was thinking of something for the SW next year. French-style with a night start.
Ian, I guess you mean your 600.

French style means bagpipes at the start

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #65 on: 06 April, 2009, 08:58:14 am »
So that's a sprint start then?
It is simpler than it looks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #66 on: 07 April, 2009, 02:08:53 am »
Audax Australia recently received more information from the ACP (also
circulated to the other members of LRM) regarding 2011 PBP
qualification.  You can read it in French and English at
Audax Australia
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #67 on: 07 April, 2009, 08:16:54 am »
So basically - if you don't do a BRM 400k in 2010 the odds of you being part of the UK entry are fairly slim.

Also the cut-off dates will not be defined until 2011 - so they can move the goal posts after the event if they have to. Sounds like it makes sense to do a full BRM SR in 2010 if there is an opportunity.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #68 on: 07 April, 2009, 08:38:25 am »
And, the more BRM km that the UK riders do (whether they enter PBP or not) in 2010 the more places it will receive.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #69 on: 07 April, 2009, 08:54:23 am »
So do we need a proposal for the next AGM that AUK should work to encourage/promote a greater number of BRM calendar rides in 2010 in order to cope with this new rule?

I guess most organisers will become aware of this sooner or later and will have to make their rides BRM if they want to get the numbers.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #70 on: 07 April, 2009, 09:09:13 am »
There's a September '09 cut-off date for '10 BRMs, so leaving it until the AGM (Nov / Dec?) will be too late.  Unless you want to talk about '11 BRMs...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #71 on: 07 April, 2009, 09:56:47 am »
I've asked on the AUK mailing list:

Yahoo! Groups              

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #72 on: 07 April, 2009, 11:32:22 am »
So do we need a proposal for the next AGM that AUK should work to encourage/promote a greater number of BRM calendar rides in 2010 in order to cope with this new rule?

I guess most organisers will become aware of this sooner or later and will have to make their rides BRM if they want to get the numbers.

Oddly enough, this was discussed at the last committee meeting (before ACP's latest news appeared.)  In the past, there have been only a few BRM events in non-PBP years, mainly, I suspect, because that's the way particular organisers have done it.  It is quite useful too for other ACP stuff, like their Brevet 5000, which is free, but no doubt funded by all your entered BRMs.

I don't think it's appropriate to go to the AGM, which would be too late in any case, as it is the choice of individual organisers and Sheila is going to encourage them to go for BRMs rather thsn BRs.  It will be just as efective for riders to try now to get organisers of their favourite events to go for the additional recognition, given that these submissions have to be made much earlier.

The downsides are that such events will be a pound or so more expensive, which shouldn't bother many guys, and an interminable delay before the Brevet cards are returned, which probably will.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #73 on: 07 April, 2009, 11:39:28 am »
The downsides are that such events will be a pound or so more expensive, which shouldn't bother many guys, and an interminable delay before the Brevet cards are returned, which probably will.

Is it feasible to make an event BRM but offer a corresponding BR event (or just lack of BRM validation) for people that aren't interested in it? I understand this would be extra complications for the organisers...

« Reply #74 on: 07 April, 2009, 11:43:55 am »

Is it feasible to make an event BRM but offer a corresponding BR event (or just lack of BRM validation) for people that aren't interested in it? I understand this would be extra complications for the organisers...

Too much farting around for the odd quid saving. The extra hassle would continue all the way to the validation team.

Previously results have been posted on the website without waiting for ACP's validation. I'm not aware of ACP refusing any validation we've said is okay.