Author Topic: LEL - News from/of riders  (Read 79944 times)

DanialW

Re: News from LELers
« Reply #25 on: 26 July, 2009, 09:48:20 pm »
The 21:40 control report is now available at London Edinburgh London communications centre

Chris, could you ask the control at Coxwold to send update to the comms centre when they have news?

Cheers!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 26 July, 2009, 10:03:57 pm »
List of DNS not entirely accurate as Melita revised rider numbers.
Rob is riding
351 crashed, not DNS (Same Greek chap though)

Melita is on road northbound and will give Danial photocopy of start list.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #27 on: 26 July, 2009, 10:18:00 pm »
Got back from Gamblingay an hour ago (been helping out with the food). At 7pm Chris (my Dad, number 204) was at Lincoln, 130 miles.

544 no longer riding but can't remember why.

« Reply #28 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:01:50 am »
Just got back home from Washingborough.Over 400 riders had passed through .The first being Bob Johnson followed by 4 Italians,followed by Rearly ancien 666.These riders came though in less than 7 hrs. :caught me by surprise.Have seen forest Rich Greenbank,Gerald,everyone from the morning start seemed OK.The afternoon riders not so lucky with the weather the tail wind as decreased,and the rain increased !Was very busy at this control but managed to to avoid delays.Drove home along course to see wave after wave of small groups riding through the rain.Bright lights piercing the gloomy Lincoln shire countryside ,amazing. ;D Will return to the control wednesday

« Reply #29 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:06:24 am »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Hope the rider is ok.

DanialW

« Reply #30 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:49:34 am »
Hi all

The Greek rider is fine, as is the motorist.

The 00:40 report is now online. Same page as before.

« Reply #31 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:10:45 am »
Thanks Daniel.   (The nosey bugger in me just wants to ask more questions following that post).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #32 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:25:26 am »
Assistant acting deputy vice tea-monitor Mr L reporting from after the Tour, the Hungarian GP1, the British Moto GP and a Several of glugs of Orztrylian grape juice.

Anyhap, it appears that one of the Italian chaps did a big ride in May, viz. the Giro D'Italia.  With this in mind it might seem prudent to have someone on alert at the time the first rider clears Gamlingay southbound, in case a finish controller bloke with a pen is needed at Stupid O'Clock on Tuesday morning.  Since:

• I have the whole week off, and
  • live but ten of the BRITONS' miles from the Arrivée

if there's a possibilty of a jet-propelled twin-turbo domestique clearing Gamlingay before Tuesday civilised-breakfast-time, it might be a good idea to Let Me Know.  Problem is, I've got no phone numbers for anyone.  So if anyone is in touch with someone who might be in touch with Gamlingay, and the aforementioned state of affairs comes to pass, could they give me a bell on 07717473507?

Otherwise we'll have a nice lie-in and will start setting up shop at Sensible O'Clock on Tuesday.

Ta.

P.S. Hummers says he's often misunderstood in here.

Yes, mate.

P.P.S.  Three bikes stolen avant le départ.  One recovered; one replaced by machine borrowed from Mark "Megastar" Brooking; one hastily purchased, fettled in the car park and fitted with pedals borrowed from Mark "Even More Mega Than That" Brooking.  The start is clearly too close to Edm*nt*n.

P.P.P.S.  Apart from the Cataloonies, the final riders off the line were a long-haired Scouser and Recumbent Bloke Who Turned Up At The Start In The Wrong Shoes.  Frantic Police-Camera-Action-stylee transport of shoes from Bromley to Cheshunt ensues.

1 - GWS, Felipe
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

DanialW

« Reply #33 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:44:15 am »
We have over a hundred people at Thorne. Same at Washingborough. Very few people are riding through the night.

border-rider

« Reply #34 on: 27 July, 2009, 05:25:19 am »
We have over a hundred people at Thorne. Same at Washingborough. Very few people are riding through the night.

Good news.  People using the time cushion from the head wind sensibly.  Lots of days on the road to come yet...

DanialW

« Reply #35 on: 27 July, 2009, 05:38:56 am »
The latest report is available at London Edinburgh London communications centre.

The weather here is much clamer and drier. Greenbank just walked past looking refreshed after a kip and a shower.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 27 July, 2009, 06:34:53 am »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Hope the rider is ok.

A bit bruised, basically fine.
His medic wife forbade further cycling.
Frame trashed.
AIUI chap did not see car ahead braking as eyes were on GPS...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 27 July, 2009, 07:07:08 am »
I plan to stay here at Lee Valley for the duration.
I haz phobile contact list for all controls.
Interwebs have been dodgy but have passale connection right now.
Will attempt to keep people posted.

« Reply #38 on: 27 July, 2009, 07:34:40 am »

P.P.S.  Three bikes stolen avant le départ.  One recovered; one replaced by machine borrowed from Mark "Megastar" Brooking; one hastily purchased, fettled in the car park and fitted with pedals borrowed from Mark "Even More Mega Than That" Brooking.  The start is clearly too close to Edm*nt*n.

Aw fer crying out loud. What use do local yoof have for Audax stylee bikes?
I'm glad I took the North Carolina mates to a bike shop to get small locks for use at controls,
and we got another US cousin to move his fully laden bike from directly outside the pub door,
where it was locked to itself.

« Reply #39 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:23:40 pm »
time cushion from headwind?  Shurely headwinds deplete your time cushion in the whole 'slowing you down a bit' way?  

(edit: whoops, have just noticed that I'm on the DNS list.  I am *fairly* sure that I never got as far as entering proper-like, just paid the deposit & then all the Australia stuff happened.  I assumed that not paying the rest would automatically remove me from the list :-[  )

Chris S

« Reply #40 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:32:38 pm »
Update from Coxwold control (411km Northbound, 1021km Southbound).

Very busy morning - some large batches of riders coming through at times, but steadier now.

Lots of YACF faces - no sign of Simonp though as I left for lunch at midday which is concern.

Some tired faces - one or two YACFers who need The Feeling of Lurrv from YACFland as they are looking a bit jaded. Hummers was trying to ingraciate himself with The Boss by applying some sort of massage.

Clearly many have encountered significant weather - there have been some excellent paper mache creations that used to be Brevet cards.

The sun is out now after some earlier showers. More of a crosswind today.

Bon Courage les YACF  :thumbsup:

DanialW

« Reply #41 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:52:31 pm »
The latest report from the controls is at London Edinburgh London communications centre

The first rider arrived at Dalkeith about thirty minutes ago.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #42 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:05:13 pm »
Past a whole load of riders in the car yesterday on the way from Lincoln back to Kettering. I picked up the LEL route from Thurlby and drove it as far as Elton. It was great to see so many of them!

« Reply #43 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:08:54 pm »
time cushion from headwind?  Shurely headwinds deplete your time cushion in the whole 'slowing you down a bit' way?  

(edit: whoops, have just noticed that I'm on the DNS list.  I am *fairly* sure that I never got as far as entering proper-like, just paid the deposit & then all the Australia stuff happened.  I assumed that not paying the rest would automatically remove me from the list :-[  )

I'm also on it despite only ever paying the deposit and having my withdrawal acknowledged by Mel last December.  I suspect everyone who paid the deposit is still on it which is why it seems so big.

Nik 
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:10:15 pm »
From Hummers:

Greetings!  Am still alive.  Was at Thorne at 4 (321k), Coxwold at 9 (411k) which is not bad seeing we are spending an hour at controls.  Last 52k was slow but hey, we have until 10pm to do the 160k over the Pennines to get to our kit - assuming it is there.
H
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #45 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:11:39 pm »

I'm probably in the same boat then. I entered and paid the deposit too. Where can I find the DNS list?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #46 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:16:13 pm »
Here http://www.danialwebb.com/lel/Monday1230.pdf

Has someone really arived at Dalkeith?

« Reply #47 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:17:20 pm »

I'm probably in the same boat then. I entered and paid the deposit too. Where can I find the DNS list?

Yes you're on there.  You'll find it by going to the London Edinburgh London communications centre and scrolling down.

Nik
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

« Reply #48 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:25:29 pm »
The first rider arrived at Dalkeith about thirty minutes ago.

Yikes, isn't that something in excess of 15mph average (assuming an 8am departure). :o
Actually, it is rocket science.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #49 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:30:23 pm »

Yes you're on there.  You'll find it by going to the London Edinburgh London communications centre and scrolling down.

Nik

Can you post the link, as I can't see the DNS list.