Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL 2017  (Read 122180 times)

Re: [LEL] LEL 2017
« Reply #725 on: 15 September, 2016, 12:15:51 pm »
http://www.coachmag.co.uk/fitbit-50

Teams of six with two riders on the road at any one time. So if split fairly each rider only has to do ~400km, all have to do the full 50km of running though (which is split up into 5 x 10km runs).

400km of riding and 50km running in 50 hours seems much more reasonable.

Yebbut - sleep, such as it is, in a 'team van,' and it's not just 400km of riding and 50km of running, you also have to wait for other people to ride 800km.

« Reply #726 on: 15 September, 2016, 12:53:22 pm »
And with strangers!  I would find that hard with friends.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #727 on: 15 September, 2016, 01:22:50 pm »
Ah, I see. The 2-stop controls will stay open until all the southbound riders have passed through. So if you're late heading north as far as Brampton, you're fine.

It's after Moffat that things become a bit tighter.

Apologies if that wasn't clear.

If its any help, the St Ives control on the way back officially closes at 3am (I think).  There is no way that Phil D and I would suggest any of our crew, who will have fed and otherwise cared for 1000 riders in the previous 24 hours, should attempt to travel home at that point, so my current plan, subject to confirmation is to tidy up the control the following morning, and so we'll probably have food on for late stragglers, if nothing else because the crew will need to eat.

Last time, at Barnard Castle, we did start to wind things down, because we had a fixed time to exit the school that was the control, but what we did was gradually tidy up the kitchen and keep hot food on (it was quite damp and dreary as I recall) for the late arrivals.  This included one rider arriving a couple of hours out of time who was cold and wet and so relished the first bowl of stew that he had declined, that he finished a second one. 

I think that was something we got right at Barnie last time and will mention at the next controllers meeting when we discuss food.  I doubt that there would be a general advertisement or guarantee of helping riders who are out of time, and there may be some places where the need to hand the premises back requires a prompt close, but I'd like to think most controllers would want to help riders who are struggling at the end of their limits/tether/etc, even if it was (as the hungry rider at Barnie) just giving them something to get their wits together so that they could find a B&B.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #728 on: 24 January, 2017, 12:07:17 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBIU38fbiyA

At 6:11. wearing a German ARA jersey and  holding a can of beer, and standing next to maverick otp, is Bernd Kaminski, who many people will remember as the captain of the comedy German tandem at the last LEL. I stayed with him a couple of weeks ago on my way back from the Arctic, and he tells me he's got a new stoker for next year.

Stoker Achim worked well on any 100k ride. Without a complete hour of resting he simply wasn't able to continue post 130k of the 275k time trial HHB2016. So we finished a little later. At least he resigned to work on that any more and he returned to have fun on whitewater rafting again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #729 on: 24 January, 2017, 12:59:38 am »
Different subject...

Over on Facebook, Gerry Boswell, who is running the Coxwold control would like to receive contact details of the chief controllers at Thirsk as he has misplaced them.

Ta muchly!