Linked Events

• Bryan Chapman 600: 17 May, 2008

Author Topic: Bryan Chapman roll call  (Read 120860 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman roll call
« Reply #25 on: 20 April, 2008, 10:12:14 pm »
And I've had the PaulD 'I'm not doing anything longer than 200 ever again' one.  Does that count?

Chris N

« Reply #26 on: 20 April, 2008, 10:26:10 pm »
I'm in.  If only to hear Paul moaning. :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 21 April, 2008, 06:25:09 am »

I'm in too.
Not wishing to hold my manhood cheap... see #12 of

http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=35544.0

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #28 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:34:46 am »

I'm in too.
Not wishing to hold my manhood cheap... see #12 of

http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=35544.0

I am not doing it.  :(

But I am holding my manhood cheaply - even as I type this - one handed.  :thumbsup:

H

Jes

« Reply #29 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:32:41 am »
In. Scenic. Terrified........feel  :sick: at thought of it

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:41:13 am »
I'm in.  Liz, Phil, Juliet, doop and I will be travelling down in the Planet Slayer and staying at the Travel Lodge the night before

Not being complete and utter mentalists, we're all on the 2004 route.

Mind you, as long as my knees don't give out on the Severn Across, I'll be having a crack at it on fixed  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #31 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:43:15 am »

Wise choice

I'll be having a crack at it on fixed  :D

:)

Excellent

MV's Fixed BCM tip#1 (in an occasional series):

You'll get dropped by everyone and their dog on the first decent descent (down to Gwernesney, after the Shirenewton X). 

Don't worry, you'll haul them all back in by Abergavenny

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #32 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:34:10 am »
I'm in (2004 route)...

It'll be (perhaps foolishly) my first 600.  So if you see somebody at the back on a blue Thorn complaining vociforously it'll be me. 

Just got to manage the Severn Across first as a confidence builder (or shatterer, depending on outcome)

Feeling fairly nervous about the next few weeks!!
Sheep we're off again.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:40:07 am »
I'll be having a crack at it on fixed  :D

:)

Excellent

If I'm broken and damaged after hauling myself round this lunatic misadventure, I shall be blaming you entirely for encouraging me to undertake this barking bicycle beano of a ride.  Once I'm safely back in the bosom of the civilized metropolis, you do realise that I shall be coming after you, don't you Mr Volio?

::-)

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #34 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:42:55 am »

If I'm broken and damaged after hauling myself round this lunatic misadventure, I shall be blaming you entirely for encouraging me to undertake this barking bicycle beano of a ride.  Once I'm safely back in the bosom of the civilized metropolis, you do realise that I shall be coming after you, don't you Mr Volio?

::-)

You'll get round, but you might end up with legs that look like MV's.

border-rider

« Reply #35 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:47:21 am »
About a foot shorter ?

:o

« Reply #36 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:09:23 am »
About a foot shorter ?

:o

All that walking might wear them down.

daflloyd

« Reply #37 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:00:12 pm »
I'll get the entry off this week.

My PBP plans were well on track last year when I fell off approaching the Bronllys control and broke my elbow (lovely bacon smells obviously affecting bike control).

Whilst I took it pretty well in my stride, and am pragmatic about not getting to France, I do have this nagging "unfinished business" thing going on in my head.

Like AC, I too intend not to miss the (y)ACF photoshoot this time.

frere yacker

« Reply #38 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:01:17 pm »

Mind you, as long as my knees don't give out on the Severn Across, I'll be having a crack at it on fixed  :D

Hmmmm - tempted to do this fixed as well.  Umming and  aahing at the moment though.  AAA could be Ai-Ai-Ai points.  As in Ai Carumba, what the hell am I doing.

The descent down Snowdonia (is it Llanberis Pass, can't remember) at dusk would be "invigorating" and some of the climbs in the last 100km most "refreshing".

Maladict

« Reply #39 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:03:19 pm »
Hills, schmills.

It's the weekend after the Fred Whitton.  It will seem flat.  ::-)

« Reply #40 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:11:17 pm »
Right, exam dates are out, and this year it doesn't clash, although it's only two days after my last one.  So...

...I'm in.  Gulp. 

daflloyd

« Reply #41 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:13:03 pm »
Hills, schmills.

It's the weekend after the Fred Whitton.  It will seem flat.  ::-)

You must print that quote, and attach it to your route sheet holder for the duration of the ride.  ;D

« Reply #42 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:24:36 pm »
I'm in.  I am going to bloody *finish* the damn thing this time.  (Possibly out of time, mind, but I am focussing on the finishing part and not on the time, as a stress-reduction attempt.)

I'm a bit better up hills than I used to be, so I might possibly get more than 45min sleep this time.  Maybe.

Argh.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:27:40 pm »
I've entered (nothing back yet?). I believe Iddu has too, as we are shacking up in Chepstow together, then in his travelly-lodge on the Sunday night.

Have booked Fri/Mon off work, so I have the option of a very slow ride to/from Oxfordshire if the weather's nice (Ha!).

Somewhat nervous about this ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #44 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
I'll be there on tandem with Andy C.  I am also scared.  It will be my first 600.

On the plus side, I know the roads around mid Wales (Aberystwyth-Machynlleth-Dolgellau-Barmouth) area quite well and the North Wales bits aren't too unfamiliar.

Martin

« Reply #45 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:41:23 pm »

something wrong with the image display (noticed this yesterday)

Standing: Martin,  Manotea, MV, Vorsprung, Bobajorob, Paul  D, M Pumpe, Charlotte, Juliet, treborb, Rollo

Kneeling:  jwo, Tuggo, Tony H

Missing: Motog, M-series, Daflloyd, John Spooner, Nick W, Innadequate Randonneur, Maladict, Hoppy1848, Ian Hennessy, PeterM, Garry b59 & Andy Cox Jack Joolz

marcus

« Reply #46 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:20:37 pm »
I'll be doing the Scenic (and hoping to avoid the trauma of last year, when the rim on my rear wheel exploded in the middle of the night near Beddgelert).

I'm intending to ride the Brimstone 600 as a permanent the week before so I may not be in absolutely tip-top physical condition for the BCM.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #47 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:24:36 pm »
I'll be there (2004).  I shall be convincing myself that the dripping wet route profile shown at last year's RainHailsham 600 mentioning the 8245m of climb was in fact true and that therefore Wales in whatever weather will be trifling (rather than bread puddinging).

What happens / on the Sunday night / once we have all collapsed?
Will there be some / sundry light / so I can look at maps?
What time does the / last train leave?.
Will it get me home?
Or should I / eat another snack / and onwards ever roam.

Suggestions?
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Maladict

« Reply #48 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:29:01 pm »
I've got back from Cardiff to Cambridge with 8pm or so departure by train, returning from a Dave Lewis event.  I think Chepstow's worse though as it's not on the main line so you need to change at e.g. Newport.  I wouldn't count on finishing in time for the train back.

« Reply #49 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:29:21 pm »

I'm intending to ride the Brimstone 600 as a permanent the week before so I may not be in absolutely tip-top physical condition for the BCM.

Don't worry. Most of us will still wave you goodbye quite early on.