Author Topic: overseas DIY  (Read 1408 times)

overseas DIY
« on: 31 May, 2019, 07:09:38 pm »
Is the process for undertaking a mandatory DIY via GPX the same for overseas as it is for UK?

S2L

Re: overseas DIY
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2019, 07:17:13 pm »
Is it not the same process?

Aside from AAA points, which I don't think are counted

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2019, 07:24:48 pm »
Certainly used to be when I was involved, AAA included.

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2019, 08:15:11 pm »
 :thumbsup: I thought it would be, no reason why it shouldn't, but sometimes things are not what they logically should be.

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2019, 09:02:31 pm »
Yes, same process as for UK.

Enter with your usual DIY Org.

AAAs certainly included, but outside UK they tend to be less predictable from your own estimate of metres climbed.

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2019, 10:20:53 pm »
I've done a few dozen, no problems geting them validated.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2019, 11:34:10 am »
Is the process for undertaking a mandatory DIY via GPX the same for overseas as it is for UK?

Couple of things to be aware of:

The DIY form is not great at processing characters not normally found in UK place names. This means that you end up with a control listed in your email as the such and such Caf?. I don't know what it would make of Å or Åmål as control locations...

Googlemaps walking is not necessarily as good in other countries at giving an idea of where you can and can't cycle, be prepared to explain to the org that, no really google may claim that, but you can't actually take a bike over that mountain, through that river, or over that swing bridge...

The DIY orgs are amazing (based on a sample size of 1), and have no issues with the Dutch, Belgian, and German rides I've submitted so far.

One thing I have been curious of, is how timezones work with DIY's. If I say I am going to do a 200k DIY on 01/07/2019, But I decide I want to post pone it, rules say I have to mail the org the day before at the latest, Meaning the email has to be dated 30/06/2019. If I'm doing the ride in Oregon, then the evening before 01/07/2019, is already 01/07/2019 UK time. It's not a problem I've hit up against yet, but it was something I was wondering about the other day.

Good luck!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2019, 09:45:57 am »
My understanding, at least the way I've applied it as a perm organiser, is that the email to notify a start date/time, is more to ensure that the ride is then recognised as an AUK event, rather than just as a ride, and therefore triggers coverage of the AUK insurance.

I do have a set of permanents overseas, 5 rides from 100km to 600km based out of Porto Vecchio in Corsica, but that wouldn't give me a time zone problem.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2019, 02:48:51 pm »
Thank you all, looks like it's going to work out, the audax will be 600km from Dieppe to Nandax in Loire, then 2 days later I will do the return journey. The route at the moment is coming out at 593Km so I need to add a little bit.

As an aside, what do cyclists do in rural France to obtain sustenance and more importantly water on a Sunday! My return trip will start about 2pm it is likely to be hot (mid July) and although I can carry a fair bit of water I don't really want to be lugging the 10kg that I will need while I ride overnight until the shops open Monday morning.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2019, 02:51:59 pm »
Thank you all, looks like it's going to work out, the audax will be 600km from Dieppe to Nandax in Loire, then 2 days later I will do the return journey. The route at the moment is coming out at 593Km so I need to add a little bit.

As an aside, what do cyclists do in rural France to obtain sustenance and more importantly water on a Sunday! My return trip will start about 2pm it is likely to be hot (mid July) and although I can carry a fair bit of water I don't really want to be lugging the 10kg that I will need while I ride overnight until the shops open Monday morning.

I've not confirmed this in person, but when I asked similar questions, I have been told that French churches and graveyards can be a good source of water.

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2019, 02:57:42 pm »
They are.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2019, 03:20:19 pm »

I've not confirmed this in person, but when I asked similar questions, I have been told that French churches and graveyards can be a good source of water.

J

They can be but increasingly the churches are being locked out of hours and cemetaries are getting coy about having water on free access (they have to pay for it!). This is the situation around where I live!  North of the Loire you are more likely to find bars open on a sunday afternoon than in the deep south. increasingly there are supermarkets open on sunday mornings as well. In the Auvergne and the Jura I have been known to use cattle troughs!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2019, 03:48:29 pm »

Just had a play with OSMand and the Drinking water POI layer. As long as you have downloaded the standard map for the region you want to visit, you can see where the drinking water options are (assuming accurate mapping, and that they are functioning). They seem to be more common further south, but they are not a total rarity, so you should be able to go via a few, and hopefully have luck with at least 1 or 2 of them.

It does require a smart phone or tablet tho.

J
--

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2019, 04:58:13 pm »

Monday is no better than Sunday for shopping in France - on both days you will find some shops/bakeries open in the morning but little or nothing after midday.  Even Saturdays tend that way too, though not quite as bad.  But even small village bakeries usually have a drinks cabinet - though usually horribly expensive.

Village fountains for water have changed a lot over the last 20 years - it used to be that a few were marked 'Non potable' meaning that the default (unmarked) was Potable.  Now, there are a very few marked 'Potable' and the default (all the rest) are 'non potable'.  The water itself hasn't changed of course.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll