Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250245 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #750 on: 09 December, 2017, 11:52:57 am »
Freezing outside, and cold coming on, so bailed when I had used all my tissues and couldn't breathe well enough to maintain threshold level effort. Legs felt OK, not so lungs/throat. :(
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/7076980-leconte
With any luck I can avoid the worst of the cold and get my last hard week (wk 5) of the Sweet Spot Base II done properly this week. I want to have a few random rides over Christmas and then start the Build phase (sustained power) in the first week of January.

simonp

« Reply #751 on: 09 December, 2017, 02:13:47 pm »
Leconte is one of TR’s toughest workouts.

rob

« Reply #752 on: 09 December, 2017, 03:29:14 pm »
Frosty morning so did the turbo alternative which was 1h45m long.   At that point it was relatively decent outside so did 2h30m on the road.   I should sleep well tonight.

simonp

« Reply #753 on: 09 December, 2017, 07:02:42 pm »
McAdie tonight. 90m; 4x12m over under intervals.

This stuff feels a bit too easy. I think +10W might have been too conservative.

« Reply #754 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:21:36 pm »
TR session including 4 x 8 minute spinups, starting at 235W for 4 minutes, then 3 @ 225W then 1 @ 220W increasing cadence throughout. FTP is currently set at 250W in TR, but not sure if that's accurate. I'm getting through the workouts and they're hard but survivable.

Still every little helps:) plus the Garmin gave me a slightly improved vo2max estimate afterwards.

« Reply #755 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:02:14 am »
I did Lamark this morning (4x 10 minute at FTP).  I set it down at 95% because I did loads of snow shovelling on the weekend and really struggled. It was OK, and my knee was not a problem at all, but my hamstrings are battered! I've never had a workout on the trainer on the hoods (aero is different) where my hamstrings limited me before! And when I got off and went to stretch my quads, my hamstrings cramped! Still, they will sort themselves out, and I'm back on the horse for the last week before Christmas. :)
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/7172156-lamarck

rob

« Reply #756 on: 14 December, 2017, 10:35:36 am »
I hadn't used my TT bike since July but use it on the turbo.

My hamstrings have cramped a couple of time particularly during the longer sustained intervals.   I try to get out the saddle during the 'rests' a couple of times.

« Reply #757 on: 14 December, 2017, 11:34:47 am »
If I had a TT bike then it would be on the turbo. I'm thinking of proposing a deal to my other half that if I hit 250W FTP (pitiful I know, but we all have to start somewhere! ;) ) then I'll have earned one!

Normally, if I pretend I'm in some big solo breakaway and put my forearms on the bars then my hamstrings start to feel it after about a minute. Today, towards the end of each interval they were feeling it when sat up as much as I can without actually letting go of the bars!
Getting out of the saddle is nice to stretch, and it also stops any numbness that might be on it's way if I don't sit quite right. I try to do it at least once on a 60 minute ride - I did it today a couple of times, but it didn't help the hamstrings much.

simonp

« Reply #758 on: 14 December, 2017, 07:41:54 pm »
Did the test.

I had gone 210 then 220 manually. Still felt too easy. Didn’t expect too much through. Thought I’d maybe hit 225W.

Nope. 233W. https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/7182459-8-minute-ftp-test

So despite 6 weeks off that’s +10W since September.

« Reply #759 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:13:04 pm »
That's really impressive.  Keep it up.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #760 on: 16 December, 2017, 01:22:11 pm »
It never rains but it pours.
Today I wanted to do Mary Austin - my first set of power steps, and they look like a painful but rewarding.
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/7208646-mary-austin
My left hamstring was tight when spinning through the first interval, but I completed it OK and stopped to stretch in the rest. Not longer after I got back on, the Speed/Cadence sensor dropped out (using my phone for TR). It came back, but dropped again in the second interval. This time it wouldn't come back, and the bike computer wouldn't pick it up either, so maybe the battery has died? I have no other power measurement device (and I've been having issues with my phone not picking up the HR strap), so I gave up on the workout.

I've got a day off on Tuesday - I was going to do Kaiser because I missed it last Tuesday, but I'm probably better off doing Mary Austin again Tuesday morning and doing Kaiser on Thursday before work. At least this means my rest week is going to be Christmas week, so if I do get out on the bike I can just go ride outside for fun.

simonp

« Reply #761 on: 16 December, 2017, 09:18:23 pm »
Feeling the effects of the 2x8m test.

Because I missed tues and weds I'm trying to get as much of this week in anyway. So 2x8m on Thursday, and then Pettit -1 which is an easy workout was ok Yesterday but I bailed quite early on Antelope - 4 which I also did yesterday. There was also lots of napping.

Today I was up at 6:45 to cox a 4 in a private 5km head race, which we won. Fell asleep on the sofa again this afternoon while digesting the post-race fry-up, and then did today's workout (now back on schedule). This is a 1h30 over-under workout (Palisade). Still some fatigue in the legs, and upping FTP mid-plan also tends to make things harder than intended since the plan has a built-in progression anyway. So I turned it down by 5% after the first interval, which makes it only about 1% harder than before. I did turn it up by 1% later on, but for the final interval I went back to 95% as 96% was pushing me hard.

I question whether with the amount of fatigue in my legs I can do Eclipse tomorrow. I might pick something longer with lower IF.

rob

« Reply #762 on: 17 December, 2017, 08:04:13 pm »
Did both of this weekends sessions on the road, ignoring the turbo alternative.   This was largely dumb due to the conditions and I totally underdelivered on today's 5hr ride.

Looking at the plan the turbo sessions pick up in volume from next week but are still largely aerobic.   Leaving the same gear on but increasing the resistance one notch.

Physiology tomorrow for knee/left calf.   Osteopath on Tuesday to have the back loosened as I haven't been since July.

« Reply #763 on: 17 December, 2017, 10:36:21 pm »
Missed Wed, Thurs, Sat for reasons not to do with me. Managed Friday's rest day... as didn't et to Tan Hill either.

So ran 12 1/2 miles to day to burn up some frustration.

simonp

« Reply #764 on: 19 December, 2017, 11:16:46 am »
Week 5 of sweet spot base mid-volume starts tonight.

I'm so looking forwards to the recovery week.

« Reply #765 on: 19 December, 2017, 07:13:33 pm »
Week 5 is hard! Good luck!
I was going to re-do Mary Austin today, but I had to take my old car to the garage. It's moved, so I ended up doing a 1hr 20 ride on the road instead. It was dark, I wasn't sure where I was going, and then the bike path wasn't a great surface, so I couldn't give it the beans properly, but I still went hard. That will have to do as the longer ride for this week.
Is it possible to import a ride from Strava into TR? It would be good to get the TSS correct...

simonp

« Reply #766 on: 19 December, 2017, 07:31:00 pm »
Week 5 is hard! Good luck!
I was going to re-do Mary Austin today, but I had to take my old car to the garage. It's moved, so I ended up doing a 1hr 20 ride on the road instead. It was dark, I wasn't sure where I was going, and then the bike path wasn't a great surface, so I couldn't give it the beans properly, but I still went hard. That will have to do as the longer ride for this week.
Is it possible to import a ride from Strava into TR? It would be good to get the TSS correct...

Not yet - you can, as far as I'm aware, only tick "done outdoors".

TR have been talking about this feature for a while. There's talk of a big update coming soon, maybe it will finally be there.

simonp

« Reply #767 on: 19 December, 2017, 10:43:59 pm »
What a difference a day off makes - that was fine.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #768 on: 22 December, 2017, 08:03:07 pm »
following a five week break (almost no cycling/training) did a 2x8 test. i paced myself hoping a ~10w drop from my previous ftp, but couldn't even sustain that.

new ftp = old ftp - 14w :-[

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #769 on: 22 December, 2017, 08:51:25 pm »
My CTL (Chronic Training Load) took a hit this autumn but it’s now going in the right direction.

Two more weeks of muscular endurance work using Sufferfest/VeloReality then it's onto speed work with TR.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRrbKzhW4AYDbXN.jpg

rob

« Reply #770 on: 23 December, 2017, 02:41:43 pm »
New build started this week.  Volume up a bit and using a higher resistance setting so less spinny.   Levels between 95 & 110rpm now when I was topping out at 120rpm last week.

5hr road ride this morning and then 90 mins on the turbo tomorrow morning.   I will take Monday and Tuesday off completely as I have felt a little smashed and my mother will give me a hard time if I turn up with a bike.

« Reply #771 on: 23 December, 2017, 04:14:21 pm »
Very little on turbo recently but a lot more pilates, squats  and commuting on the winter tyres.  I really missed that last year when i did almost entirely turbo work.

Went to work on the good bike this morning for a change and it was so easy!  The difference between the winter studded tyres and normal tyres is so great.

(Now I know that you will all tell me different bikes, different materials, etc.  I accept all that BUT the tyres make it so much harder)

simonp

« Reply #772 on: 23 December, 2017, 06:13:01 pm »
One more workout and then it's recovery week.

Today's was McAdie + 1 which if I'd tried it last Saturday I'd have turned it down. Completed on target, just.

« Reply #773 on: 24 December, 2017, 06:56:44 am »
New build started this week.  Volume up a bit and using a higher resistance setting so less spinny.   Levels between 95 & 110rpm now when I was topping out at 120rpm last week.

5hr road ride this morning and then 90 mins on the turbo tomorrow morning.   I will take Monday and Tuesday off completely as I have felt a little smashed and my mother will give me a hard time if I turn up with a bike.

Sneak a pair of running shoes in? That's my plan.

« Reply #774 on: 24 December, 2017, 06:57:56 am »
LAst week was rubbish, so 9.5 mile run yesterday and outdoor ride today. Biggest issue is time - how do you find time for a  5 hour outdoor ride?