Author Topic: Base training  (Read 252973 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Base training
« Reply #925 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:22:39 am »
my first ever aborted session today - after doing a warm-up i understood i've no chance/energy to complete the whole thing. hopefully i'll feel stronger tomorrow!

managed to complete this workout (williamson +4) today with only a couple of backpedals, a day of rest made a big difference!

« Reply #926 on: 30 March, 2018, 05:59:44 pm »
Extra rest made a massive difference to me as well.  Almost entirely on plan power wise:
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides-new/27772629

I've got a bike fit on Tuesday evening, so if I get time I'll do Tuesday's workout on Monday.

Saturday I'm riding my first ever (proper) 10.  I'm supposed to be doing this TR session https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/363857-dardanelles-1 - I assume I should probably do my 10 and then stick an extra half an hour threshold workout on top?

simonp

« Reply #927 on: 30 March, 2018, 06:39:57 pm »
I’d suggest ride your 10 and warm up and down and leave it at that.

rob

« Reply #928 on: 30 March, 2018, 08:05:29 pm »
Last week I did a 3hr ride on the morning before my mid afternoon 10.   I hadn’t ridden the TT bike on the road since the previous Summer so it needed a test.   I took it very gently, though.

If it’s your first proper 10 then put your concentration into that and ignore training for the day.   You should be laid on the floor coughing for a while if you get it right, anyway.

« Reply #929 on: 30 March, 2018, 08:43:23 pm »
This is the course: https://www.strava.com/activities/985665312/segments/24166405429
My best time of 27 something was when riding in TTT formation - on my own I only achieved this 29:50. Strava estimates 169 Watts, so I should be able to beat that given my current FTP is 256. I have no idea how quick I can go though - I'll just try 260W on the way to the turn and see how deep I can go on the way back...

rob

« Reply #930 on: 01 April, 2018, 08:30:34 am »
Can’t see the course on that link.

Has it got a course code ?

« Reply #931 on: 01 April, 2018, 09:46:24 pm »
CC118 is what the segment is called - I think that's the name of the course?
This is the segment from the club website: https://www.strava.com/segments/1951541

simonp

« Reply #932 on: 01 April, 2018, 10:53:57 pm »
Good luck with it. Have you seen the TT thread in the Racing section?

I'll be riding Yr Elenydd on Saturday. Slightly different.

Not had a good weekend training wise. Work has been keeping me up late and it's caught up with me, and I'm having a bit of rest.

« Reply #933 on: 03 April, 2018, 09:08:45 am »
Rubbish ride this morning.  https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides-new/29073852
I spent a few minutes in each interval in the aerobars, but I felt pretty crap, I think I'm starting a cold, and we just ate junk and sat around on the weekend. Also sore bottom, which is why I cut it off short (bike fit this evening - hopefully this will help my position become more comfy).
Also took 2 goes at starting this ride - I got a new ANT+ dongle, so I tried using that on my laptop - it picked up the P1s for a while, but then towards the end of the warmup it lost connection, so I gave up and switched back to using bluetooth on my phone (had to start the session again).

rob

« Reply #934 on: 03 April, 2018, 10:24:33 am »
If you're racing Saturday don't do anything hard after Wednesday.

I've got a 25 on Saturday afternoon and I'm doing some top end tempo intervals tonight and then just commuting for the rest of the week.

« Reply #935 on: 03 April, 2018, 11:01:42 am »
The TR plan calls for Nightcap -1 on Thursday - that looks a bit too much like hard work. https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/196719-nightcap-1
I was thinking I would do maybe 2 or 3 x 8 minute intervals around threshold trying to stay in my newly adjusted aero position. It's probably a good idea to try it before Saturday, and I find that riding at low power changes how I sit, so I'd rather give it some gas. Otherwise I won't be on the bike between Tuesday evening and Saturday morning, and that feels like too big a gap (especially for a 10).

« Reply #936 on: 08 April, 2018, 06:51:53 pm »
My cold has kicked in properly. I skipped the Thursday ride and did the TT yesterday - it was OK (though I can't breathe through my nose I don't think that made much difference to my time). Got family stuff happening this week, and it's a recovery week, so I'm definitely not doing the Tuesday ride - I might skip the Thursday one as well depending on how far past the cold I am.

Phil W

« Reply #937 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:11:19 pm »
I follow a plan built using the principles contained in the book fast after fifty by Joe Friel.

He covers three basic intensities of intervals; aerobic capacity, lactate threshold, and aerobic threshold.  He covers nutrition and recovery. He covers testing. He covers periodisation. He covers efficiency factors. He covers strength work He covers a few other things as well, including how to build a plan

It contains some great advice, particularly if you miss an interval or cannot complete it. He also covers what the priority workouts should be during each period of training. The ones you should try and do, even if you miss lower priority ones.

Till this year I had never done structured training, but I am really enjoying it, and enjoying the results I am seeing.

Joe Friel also has a new version of the Cyclist's Training Bible out.  But so far I have found fast after fifty and building plans using knowledge contained within works well for me without getting too in depth. Though he does cover the biggest causes of decline in performance after fifty.

I listen to music during the workouts, but recently tried podcasts.  Sherlock Holmes does not work, too complicated a plot in the middle of an interval.  Adventures series, Kayaking the length of the Columbia River worked very well for me.

I am surprised as how well I have taken to it, but I think this is in part, because it allows me to enjoy my audaxes and road rides without worrying about how hard I am working. I can just enjoy the mental relaxation and scenery and other aspects of being on the road with no other concerns.

simonp

« Reply #938 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:15:17 pm »
I didn't ride Yr Elenydd as I'd planned to on Saturday. Good thing too - my new bike build has a few niggles. Front disc rubbing, and rear mudguard stay came loose twice on today's 41km hilly ride. I managed to sort out the disc rub with a hack involving a piece of cardboard folded over the disc to force the pads to reset. I'll need to replace the mudguard bolts used with longer ones (and without the stupid rounded head - those have smaller allen heads than the same M5 or whatever bolt, and the result is they strip before you get them tight enough).

rob

« Reply #939 on: 08 April, 2018, 08:41:53 pm »
My cold has kicked in properly. I skipped the Thursday ride and did the TT yesterday - it was OK (though I can't breathe through my nose I don't think that made much difference to my time). Got family stuff happening this week, and it's a recovery week, so I'm definitely not doing the Tuesday ride - I might skip the Thursday one as well depending on how far past the cold I am.

Snap.  Got up yesterday with a sore throat but decided to go out for the day anyway.  Did 2hrs before my 25 and a long warm down afterwards giving me 102 miles for the day.   I knew I had done something yesterday, but today I feel awful.   Pity as I was going to do one more hard week before we go on holiday for a week.

« Reply #940 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:36:59 pm »
I listen to music during the workouts, but recently tried podcasts

I like Netflix as with an Erg turbo it does not matter if you switch off.  However i have also used the Serial podcast in the last couple of weeks.  Engaging but not too much concentration needed.

simonp

« Reply #941 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:46:08 pm »
I listen to music during the workouts, but recently tried podcasts

I like Netflix as with an Erg turbo it does not matter if you switch off.  However i have also used the Serial podcast in the last couple of weeks.  Engaging but not too much concentration needed.

I think Netflix etc are good for the easier workouts where you can just spin away. For stuff needing more focus I use music. AIUI, there is research suggesting a drop in performance if cognitive load is increased. Clearly with an erg trainer this effect would be minimised.

« Reply #942 on: 09 April, 2018, 06:39:05 am »
I would agree totally with the drop in  performance with too much cognitive load and a standard trainer. My experience is that during an interval on an erg trainer cognitive load makes little difference. The problem comes with changes.

Trainerroad I find with its ability to run minimised but still put warnings on the whole screen is perfect for me.

rob

« Reply #943 on: 09 April, 2018, 09:55:13 am »
I only really do higher end stuff on the turbo and I have to work to the notes written next to me and what the Garmin tells me.

Therefore I only use music playing wirelessly from my iPhone.   Preference at the moment is fir more dancer type stuff, which I believe the yoof no refer to as EDM.   Recent favourites have been live albums from Daft Punk and Underworld.   I have a couple of playlists of angry nu metal and have also strayed back, occasionally, to 80s hair metal with a bit of Def Leppard.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #944 on: 09 April, 2018, 11:24:29 am »
I would agree totally with the drop in  performance with too much cognitive load and a standard trainer. My experience is that during an interval on an erg trainer cognitive load makes little difference. The problem comes with changes.

Trainerroad I find with its ability to run minimised but still put warnings on the whole screen is perfect for me.
I find intervals harder if I'm watching YouTube over some hard core music so there is certainly a cognitive hook of some sort.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #945 on: 09 April, 2018, 11:53:47 am »
I think it depends on they type of interval. I find that longer steady ones are fine with podcasts (though there can be a risk that my focus drifts after a few minutes) - short sharp repeated ones are harder, and I often realise I've missed part of the podcast if I do them properly.
The type of podcast matters too - if I listen to Trainer Road or football ones then it's fine, but if I try to listen to coding ones then I really struggle - they need too much attention.

« Reply #946 on: 09 April, 2018, 11:54:37 am »
I was a soigneur for a team on Paris-Nice once. One team tried music, with an adjustable beat, played loudly from the team car for the final, uphill, time trial.
They had shown that the cyclist tries to pedal to the beat, consciously or not.
The UCI banned the practice just afterwards.

At the Wattbike sessions I do we discourage earphones or music for the same reasons, riders follow the beat not the specified revs. The best motivation, as stated by the session participants, is working in a group.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #947 on: 09 April, 2018, 11:59:47 am »
When I trained seriously (a generation ago), my best turbo sessions were done looking solely at the (cadence, power and heartrate) numbers with no distractions at all i.e. no music. I loathed those training sessions though and dropped them like a hot potato each year as soon as the track championships started.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #948 on: 09 April, 2018, 04:11:17 pm »
Is it just me who makes a playlist by bpm for cadence, then?

simonp

« Reply #949 on: 09 April, 2018, 04:14:23 pm »
I try to go by effort level for the music. I don't find the music affects my cadence. What I'd like is a playlist builder that looked at the workout and selected music to suit.

A close tennis match, on the other hand, causes my heart rate to be all over the place on a steady zone 2 effort.