Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250260 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #1050 on: 25 October, 2018, 06:01:16 pm »
It's just a little thing, but I've just found out that Trainerroad can now pull in data from Garmin Connect, so all my rides appear in it's analysis. Still have some without power data mind, but I can live with that.

I thought it could for a while but it may only be since Calendar came along.

simonp

« Reply #1051 on: 25 October, 2018, 06:10:19 pm »
It’s been pulling in data for some time in anticipation of the calendar feature.

I wish they’d calculate TSS for rides with no power data.

« Reply #1052 on: 25 October, 2018, 08:09:09 pm »
I am impressed by how easy it is to get the estimate.  Most of my non power data rides are commuting and i have enough training peaks detain the various routes I use that i can just get it to calculate it, but I agree it is a faff.

I think they have gone down the "we are a power company" just a little far and using HrTSS would be helpful.

« Reply #1053 on: 25 October, 2018, 08:57:52 pm »
Had a look and there’s a Garmin IQ ‘app’ to calculate hrTSS.

Not sure if anyone has used it? If so, will it calculate hrTSS when no power meter is in use, but default to power based TSS when power data is available?

Cheers

Mike

simonp

« Reply #1054 on: 25 October, 2018, 10:40:22 pm »
Carter tonight (steady 45m). Average HR 131 which is about as low as I've seen on this workout.

I feel a ramp test in my future.

« Reply #1055 on: 28 October, 2018, 01:56:52 pm »
Ramp test today.  Sucked.
I did a ride with my daughter that took an hour and a half, but had only 45 minutes of actual riding. As a result I was freezing! I tried to get a bit warm and then get into the garage and do the Ramp test, but I never got going.  guess I should have done an extended warmup and not turned my fan on until I was actually hot, but I didn't realise how much it would affect my performance. I just didn't get going, I couldn't spin properly at all, and I bogged down a couple of times before finally quitting as I approached my limits.
The recommendation was for a 233FTP, but I'm gonna re-do it I think.
My pedals are left only at the moment - they ran out of batteries and then I damaged one of the caps that holds them in (if I switch the cap to the other side then that one works, so it's clearly the cap). A pair of new caps are on order - I'll do the ramp again when I have both pedals working (and my legs working). I should get an HR monitor as well (my Polar one has finally died).
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/42339295-ramp-test

simonp

« Reply #1056 on: 30 October, 2018, 09:30:37 am »
Only 1% improvement. Bah.

229 => 233. Only good news is that it's not a drop.

Perhaps not surprising - I really need to do more cardio.

Samuel D

« Reply #1057 on: 30 October, 2018, 09:39:27 am »
That’s 2%.

simonp

« Reply #1058 on: 30 October, 2018, 10:26:55 am »
TR rounded down maybe. It’s 1.7%

« Reply #1059 on: 30 October, 2018, 01:19:21 pm »
At least it's in an upward trajectory. ;)
Last year I was getting up when snow was on the ground to get in the garage and do my turbo session, but the cold this week has made it really hard to be motivated. I'm going to re-jig my calendar to do another ramp test tomorrow (with working battery caps) - I'm not looking forward to it!
Sunday might be my first ever cyclocross race (if I can work out the childcare for my daughter - she's racing at 9:30 and mine's at 11:30). Then I'm back on the TR routine until Christmas - hopefully that will get my FTP going in the right direction again.

simonp

« Reply #1060 on: 30 October, 2018, 01:28:01 pm »
I have the same result in October this year as I got in December last year. So I’m hoping a solid block of training will put me ahead by then.

Chris S

« Reply #1061 on: 30 October, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »
I too need to do a ramp test, so I know roughly where to set the bar for an FTP test.

« Reply #1062 on: 30 October, 2018, 03:19:34 pm »
I have the same result in October this year as I got in December last year. So I’m hoping a solid block of training will put me ahead by then.
You've been doing it a while though, right?
I only started structured training last year, so I'm miles ahead of where I was then, but I'm quite far behind where I was in June.
I too need to do a ramp test, so I know roughly where to set the bar for an FTP test.
The TR ramp is supposed to be an FTP test. If you are on TR, why would you want to do 2?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1063 on: 30 October, 2018, 04:06:36 pm »
I'm really struggling to adhere to anything planned - wrote of most of last week but did go for a ride up a hill which resulted in a higher than ramp test FTP (by about 20W!) on teh Xert FTP estimator app.

If I CBA I'll try for the scheduled session tonight, but I am really not motivated at the moment!
200km at the weekend should help with this weeks TSS though.
Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #1064 on: 30 October, 2018, 04:07:33 pm »
You've been doing it a while though, right?
I only started structured training last year, so I'm miles ahead of where I was then, but I'm quite far behind where I was in June.

I've been using TR since 2015 but have had a number of breaks due to injury or illness and of course when spending a summer season racing in boats my FTP always seems to end up lower at the end of summer.

Last year I got my wrist injury early October and caught a heavy cold around the same time, and did not get rid of a subsequent cough until I'd been ill for 6 weeks and had a course if antibiotics - so my FTP was set down at 210W when I started training again at the end of October. So its 11% higher than 12 months ago.

simonp

« Reply #1065 on: 30 October, 2018, 04:08:10 pm »
I'm really struggling to adhere to anything planned - wrote of most of last week but did go for a ride up a hill which resulted in a higher than ramp test FTP (by about 20W!) on teh Xert FTP estimator app.

If I CBA I'll try for the scheduled session tonight, but I am really not motivated at the moment!

I've estimated that 200km => 300TSS. We'll see!

Chris S

« Reply #1066 on: 30 October, 2018, 05:05:14 pm »
The TR ramp is supposed to be an FTP test. If you are on TR, why would you want to do 2?

Hmm... they may claim that, but to my mind it would only be an approximation. I was going to use the result of the ramp test to know better how to judge the pace on a 20 minute effort; given that I nearly always start too hard and blow up.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1067 on: 30 October, 2018, 05:40:41 pm »

I've estimated that 200km => 300TSS. We'll see!

My template in TP for a 200km Audax is 450TSS (0.7IF) but it depends on the day, last one was 568TSS (217km, hilly and wet), and the dutch (flat) one before that was 240TSS (211km) - one prior to that was pretty bang on at 451TSS (213km, a bit of lumpy Suffolk and some bridleways included)...  quite a spread and of course this all depends on getting the FTP bit right too!

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1068 on: 31 October, 2018, 09:03:46 am »
Better Ramp Test today.
It was freezing again (I rode at 6am in the garage - the car on the drive was registering -1 at 7am), but I didn't turn my fan on at all.  Started off wearing a hat, gloves, jacket, long sleeve jersey and short sleeve jersey (and shorts obv). Finished wearing just the gloves, ss jersey (undone) and shorts and sweat dripping off my nose! I focussed on spinning more early in the warm up and the whole thing just felt like I could get it going properly.
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/42528387-ramp-test

The big gap where I have stopped pedalling but the ramp is still going is because I was pressing the wrong button when it asked if I wanted to end the test!  :-[
Suggested of 244, up from 240 (with Sunday's effort being 233). Happier with that too.

« Reply #1069 on: 01 November, 2018, 08:53:52 pm »
Quick question for those of you using turbos - do you use a trainer tyre or just your normal road tyre? If the latter, does it wear them prematurely or are they OK?

Just wondering as swapping cassette between wheels to ride outside seems a bit of a faff.

Cheers

Mike

« Reply #1070 on: 01 November, 2018, 09:44:23 pm »
I use the normal road tyre, but then it's not an expensive one (Continental sport). If my tyre was £££ I'd probably switch to a cheap one for turboing - it's definitely squared off a bit.

Chris S

« Reply #1071 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:13:59 pm »
I have a road tyre on mine - but I'm not convinced it's a good solution; I think I may try a trainer tyre.

We do have some wheel slip from time to time - fboab notices it more than I do; I updated the firmware today, maybe that'll help.

Direct Drive is the way forward.

rob

« Reply #1072 on: 02 November, 2018, 06:13:53 am »
I previously used a couple of Conti Home Trainers.  I found they developed very small cracks over the surface, although it didn’t seem to effect performance.  I find the current turbo slips very slightly as you get up to speed but is then fine.

I have just switched to a Vitoria Zaffiro, but haven’t tested it yet.  It is very red, though, which is a bit of an assault on the senses.

Chris S

« Reply #1073 on: 02 November, 2018, 03:40:43 pm »
First ever Zwift race today. Well... I wasn't last at least.  ::-)

« Reply #1074 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:09:13 pm »
Ebbets today - was surprisingly good. I think that sort of workout suits me.
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/42669730-ebbetts

Tyre was spinning a little at the point where I'm going from 200 to 400W, but otherwise fine.