Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126552 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
A question for our Lancastrian brethren: am I right in thinking that to refer to a team as "The Latics" is a big pile of nonsense, especially when it's Wigan?

Wikipedia would disagree: -

Full name:   Wigan Athletic Football Club
Nickname(s):   The Latics, The Tics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigan_Athletic_F.C.

I wouldn't give wiki any authority! Even I have written stuff in there... ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

They share the epithet with Oldham.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Yesterday, in League 2, 9 of the 11 fixtures included a club whose name began with the letter C - in one case, the second word of the club name. No "C" club played another.

How many times a season does that happen?  ;)

In the league all the teams we played in November started with a ‘C’.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15918869.Police_probe_launched_into_Town_boss_after_alleged_blackmail_offences/

Crikey! That's the town of my birth, that is. What would Ian Dury have made of it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Tamplin

Scrap metal dealer by the look of it.  Born-again, though it doesn't say how many times.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15918869.Police_probe_launched_into_Town_boss_after_alleged_blackmail_offences/

Crikey! That's the town of my birth, that is. What would Ian Dury have made of it?
We're Billericay Town
And we're going to send you down
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

We're Billericay Town
And our owner's going down

Cudzoziemiec

Have the Winter Olympics started? I haven't seen anything about it in the news here, but Polish news is full of ski jumping reports from Pjongczang. (ski jumping being a popular spectator sport in PL)

Start Friday. Coverage on BBC, but at weird times, of course.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

Must be some sort of elimination heats at the moment then. But in Korea already.

Cudzoziemiec

The torch is lit now. Odd the way the events start before the opening ceremony! Kudos to Tonga for the most un-wintery opening parade.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
It seems that a third Charlton is trying to make his debut for England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43307076

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Megan and I got home from our 'walk' and Mrs B asked, How did Wales do?
"It wasn't Wales, it was The Scarlets.   Oh, hang on.  Same thing."  ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

I only realised it was the grand national about 10 minutes before it started. So I quickly stuck a couple of quid each way on a horse I liked the name of.

IT FUCKING WON!!  ;D
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I managed to pick the same winning horse in the pub sweepstake.    :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tottenham 1  Manchester City 3

Eriksen scored for Spurs but Harry Kane is claiming all three of City's goals.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Is it very wrong of me to point and laugh at a very soggy Jose Mourinho after his lot went down to West Brom at Old Trafford, thus handing the title to the bunch from across town?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Is it very wrong of me to point and laugh at a very soggy Jose Mourinho after his lot went down to West Brom at Old Trafford, thus handing the title to the bunch from across town?

It doesn't matter.  The title was won months ago.  The (small) victory was beating Citeh last week, thereby preventing them winning it at Old Trafford..and making Citeh fans cry.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Cudzoziemiec

Mr Larrington has had a busy day of sport:
First Bristol rugby rename themselves "Bristol Bears"
The rugby club will, in future, be both “bear in spirit” and “bear in mind” according to this glossy brochure.
https://www.bristol247.com/sport/rugby/bristol-rugby-change-name/

Then it becomes known that a bear will be opening the World Cup in Russia later this year, which is either a fantastic piece of news
Russia, apparently, is on an entirely different level when it comes to soccer. In a third division match between Mashuk-KMV vs. FC Aungusht, a freaking real bear was used to hand the ball to the referee. This isn't a joke. A real bear, a massive, scary yet cute creature, handed the ref to the ball and also started clapping. Take a look:
or "shocking" and "troubling"
Shocking footage has emerged from Russia showing a bear being made to hand over the match ball before a game in the third division. This is just the latest in a long line of troubling incidents to occur in Russia ahead of the 2018 World Cup, with less than two months to go until the home nation’s opening clash against Saudi Arabia.
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-bear-helped-start-match-in-russia-and-we-can-only-hope-we-see-this-at-the-2018-world-cup/
http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/16/bear-forced-hand-match-ball-referee-russia-ahead-world-cup-7472003/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Strewth  ::-)

I think I agree with the CBS guy's conclusion about Russia 2018:

Man, this World Cup is going to be bonkers
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

Putting aside the World Cup for a mo and thinking about Bristol Rugby club, it turns out the name "Bristol Bears" is already taken:
The new name for Bristol Rugby when they take to the field at Ashton Gate next season in the Premiership will be ‘Bristol Bears’, but there is already a well-established group of men known as the Bristol Bears.

Their spiritual and social home is in Old Market, the area that has been self-described as Bristol’s Gay Village, and of the many bars and clubs in the thriving village, the Bristol Bear Bar is their base.

And when any rugby fan might type ‘Bristol Bears’ into their internet browser, they will get a cascade of images of cheery, happy and smiling bears partying in and around Old Market.

A spoof Bristol Bears rugby account has been set up on Twitter, hilariously suggesting that the rugby team will now be made up of regulars at the BBB, and discounts will be offered on tickets for fans turning up in leather harnesses.
The Bristol Bear Bar itself declined to comment, but one regular on the Bristol Bear scene, who didn't want to be named, said: “It’s hilarious. I’ve been checking out the rugby website now, and I’m sure those players will be welcomed in Old Market – especially Luke Morahan,” he said.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/bristol-rugbys-new-name-bristol-1466361

Putin of course has no beard but he's certainly keen to present a "hyper masculine" image.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Twitter has been full of people posting "Accrington Stanley? Who are they?" and other people replying "Exactly."

I like it. I wonder what Ian Rush is doing now.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Twitter has been full of people posting "Accrington Stanley? Who are they?" and other people replying "Exactly."

I like it. I wonder what Ian Rush is doing now.

Never heard of them.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Twitter has been full of people posting "Accrington Stanley? Who are they?"

Oh dear. I posted the same on facebook earlier and thought I was being hugely original and witty.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
You weren't, but it still makes me smile. I watched the ad on yatube and I think the boys' strips are from the Crown paints Liverpool days.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.