Author Topic: Cummerbund - Yes or No?  (Read 10028 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Cummerbund - Yes or No?
« Reply #25 on: 28 January, 2016, 10:40:49 pm »
I still wear one.  It's useful if you only have a brown belt to match your black shoes, because no-one will discover this cardinal sin,

Get thee some braces.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #26 on: 28 January, 2016, 11:47:46 pm »
I still wear one.  It's useful if you only have a brown belt to match your black shoes, because no-one will discover this cardinal sin,

Get thee some braces.

But not, dear god, flamboyantly coloured ones. Or worse, ones sporting cartoon characters in a soi-disant amusing fashion.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #27 on: 29 January, 2016, 06:56:12 am »
Red velvet trousers are splendid too, if you want to complete the ensemble of pretension. Only wear a cummerbund if you have a sabre and a horse to wave it on.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #28 on: 29 January, 2016, 07:35:07 am »
And be sure to send a photo.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #29 on: 29 January, 2016, 07:37:24 am »
I have several cummerbunds representing various Sqns I served on. The great thing about a cummerbund versus a waistcoat is that the cummerbund is much more easily responsive to one's increasing girth as the evening wears on. It's also much cheaper to replace should it get shredded in Mess Rugby.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #30 on: 29 January, 2016, 09:20:58 am »
You think it should be

Road shoes or winter boots with formal dress?

Etiquette1 says road shoes.

1: Sample size=1.  My grate frend Mrs D got married wearing a pair of Sidi road shoes - I think they were the "something blue" ones.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #31 on: 29 January, 2016, 09:22:44 am »
I've never worn a cummerbund. It sounds wrong and people who do wear them tend to look like they're trying to fancy dress as a cigar or that they're worried about bursting.

I don't think I've even worn a tie in a couple of decades. I did wear a suit to an awards dinner last week. Apropos other topics, I'm still in my Miami Vice phase. Jam Hammer to the courtesy phone, Jan Hammer to the courtesy phone. I'd so like my own theme tune.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #32 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:06:11 am »
My last tie incident was in the summer of 2006, for a job interview.  I genuinely think that should the occasion for that particular form of non-erotic auto-asphyxiation arise again I'll have forgotten how to tie it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:09:36 am »
I've never worn a cummerbund. It sounds wrong and people who do wear them tend to look like they're trying to fancy dress as a cigar or that they're worried about bursting.

I don't think I've even worn a tie in a couple of decades. I did wear a suit to an awards dinner last week. Apropos other topics, I'm still in my Miami Vice phase. Jam Hammer to the courtesy phone, Jan Hammer to the courtesy phone. I'd so like my own theme tune.
Jam Hammer? Is that cutlery for obstinate marmalade?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #34 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:16:06 am »
I don't wear ties to job interviews either (not that I've been to many, and well, like a tie is going to make any difference). They're not comfortable and make you look like a glum bank clerk. I've never got the obsession. The worst thing about being a boy is the clothes (and having your gonads where you can sit on them).

(Jam Hammer. I like that. Oh it's early.)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #35 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:55:09 am »
+1 on the tie front.

The companies I work for don't expect it and I wouldn't work for the companies that do.  It says nothing about how well I can provide the expertise they bring me in for.  On site you're more likely to see me in a pair of overalls or scrappy jeans a polo short that I don't mind getting covered in various unmentionables.  For cleaner sites trousers, shirt and jumper are quite sufficient

Jam Hammer  :thumbsup:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #36 on: 29 January, 2016, 11:11:29 am »
From my far-distant youth:

She sate upon her Dobie,--
She heard the Nimmak hum,--
When all at once a cry arose,--
'The Cummerbund is come!'
In vain she fled: -- with open jaws
The angry monster followed,
And so, (before assistance came,)
That Lady Fair was swallowed.

V

They sought in vain for even a bone
Respectfully to bury,--
They said, -- 'Hers was a dreadful fate!'
(And Echo answered 'Very.')
They nailed her Dobie to the wall,
Where last her form was seen,
And underneath they wrote these words,
In yellow, blue, and green:--

Beware, ye Fair! Ye Fair, beware!
Nor sit out late at night,--
Lest horrid Cummerbunds should come,
And swallow you outright.

- Edward Lear
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 29 January, 2016, 01:51:00 pm »
You think it should be

Road shoes or winter boots with formal dress?

Etiquette1 says road shoes.

1: Sample size=1.  My grate frend Mrs D got married wearing a pair of Sidi road shoes - I think they were the "something blue" ones.
Sample size = 3.

Butterfly and I got married wearing cycle shoes.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #38 on: 29 January, 2016, 06:31:21 pm »
I don't wear ties to job interviews either (not that I've been to many, and well, like a tie is going to make any difference). They're not comfortable and make you look like a glum bank clerk. I've never got the obsession. The worst thing about being a boy is the clothes (and having your gonads where you can sit on them).

(Jam Hammer. I like that. Oh it's early.)

In the past I have worked with people who wear ties even when they don't have to :o

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #39 on: 29 January, 2016, 06:55:04 pm »
In the past I have worked with people who wear ties even when they don't have to :o

There's some people in my office like that. Weirdos.

I'm all for looking smart, but I draw the line at ties unless it's really expected of me - job interviews, funerals, weddings. That's pretty much it, actually.

« Reply #40 on: 29 January, 2016, 08:18:44 pm »
I don't wear a tie anymore, but used to quite like them.  A nice bright Paisley or geometric pattern is about the only way to show any individuality if everyone is wearing some variation of blue or white shirt.   

These days I go for brightly coloured socks instead.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #41 on: 29 January, 2016, 09:06:44 pm »
I have a variety of stripiness in shirts, plus a few boring old engineer's light blue. Sock are for foot warmth, not public display.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #42 on: 29 January, 2016, 11:20:23 pm »

When I got made redundant from my office / lab / workshop job  of 25 years a couple of years ago,  I managed to fake my way into a new job which was office-based.

I didn't really know what was expected, so I played safe.

First day I turned up in chinos, shirt, tie.
Everyone looked at me a bit warily, as if I might be a Spy for The Man.
Second day: Chinos, shirt.
Second week: Jeans, shirt.
This lasted about a month.
Now: Back to normal: Jeans and black t-shirt, smarten up if going on client visit or doing public presentation.

rr

« Reply #43 on: 29 January, 2016, 11:39:15 pm »
Not even senior civil servants wear ties any more, I like to think I started the rot from the bottom.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #44 on: 30 January, 2016, 12:28:02 pm »
As someone who works for perhaps the most famous anti-tie-wearer of all, I have to wear a tie at work. WTF?

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #45 on: 30 January, 2016, 01:33:10 pm »
Once you renounce the tie, you have to wonder what's the point of a flappy, pointy collar, which irritates your neck, and wears out long before the rest of the garment, anyway.  Gave up on collars years ago, but still have quite a few shirts languishing in my wardrobe. Might feel the need next time I go to a funeral.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #46 on: 30 January, 2016, 01:40:16 pm »
Not even senior civil servants wear ties any more, I like to think I started the rot from the bottom.

I tried to start a trend back in my functionary days in AD1960, but it didn't really catch on at the time.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #47 on: 30 January, 2016, 01:51:45 pm »
Might feel the need next time I go to a funeral.
I have a nice collarless black shirt with a fine unobtrusive pin-stripe that does very well for such occasions (such as yesterday for my late father-in-law). I can't remember when I last wore a tie and I doubt I could still tie one.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #48 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:38:34 pm »
Cummerbund is optional. If you have (proper) trousers with a high back for braces you probably don't need it but it can keep things neater at the front and smooth out your shirt where it tucks in.
I usually wear one, but not if it's likely to be hot.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #49 on: 31 January, 2016, 07:57:51 pm »
Once you no longer feel the need to be properly dressed in public - why stop at collars? A singlet is very practical, and tracky bottoms much more comfy that trousers - who wants a belt when you can get 3 for 2 at MacD's? Plus when vomiting later in the evening a tie and shirt is double the laundry. Similar appliese to underwear worn inside clothing - what is the point? Unless your are showing a label just don't bother, only you will know.
Likewise with shaving - it os a drag so why not develop stubble and then you can cut back on the early mooring ablution time - eventually showering can be dispensed with too. All that formal nonsense - gone! You can lay back and enjoy a six pack and the telly while you can see it over the hill.
It is a shame they are stopping picking the kids up in PJ's and doing the Tesco run in a onesie. These are the garments of the future.

Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird