Author Topic: Recommend me a small, lightweight, sleeping bag  (Read 3501 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Recommend me a small, lightweight, sleeping bag
« on: 13 April, 2008, 10:53:57 am »
I'm looking to purchase a new sleeping bag to be used for touring in Scotland/UK (May to September) and to doss down before and after audaxes.  I'd like the best balance between low weight, small pack size and affordability (is a £50 limit realistic?). 

Can any of you good folk recommend such an item?

Re: Recommend me a small, lightweight, sleeping bag
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:57:54 am »
I'm looking to purchase a new sleeping bag to be used for touring in Scotland/UK (May to September) and to doss down before and after audaxes.  I'd like the best balance between low weight, small pack size and affordability (is a £50 limit realistic?). 

Can any of you good folk recommend such an item?

I have and can wholly recommend a Snugpak Softie Kilo but I think you'll be looking closer to £70 for one.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2008, 01:37:51 pm »
Another vote for Snugpak here.  :thumbsup:

I used a very lightweight one lines with Pertex for bivving on climbs. I think it weighs about 500g but you can only really go nekkid in very warm weather. It's about 9 years old now and it has worn really well.

H

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2008, 02:42:17 pm »
Snugpak ftw! :thumbsup:

£50 is a tight budget.  This is a bit of kit that can last you ten years, so think about biting the bullet now for years and years of good service. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2008, 02:28:16 pm »
try Decathlon? some of their own brand kit is pretty damn good for the money.

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2008, 02:35:43 pm »
Firewalker - UL gets my vote good quality and light - if you want to up it a season stick a silk bagliner into your pocket
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

bikenerd

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2008, 03:35:26 pm »
The Snugpaks are exceptional quality.  They also seem a bit more honest than other brands on the comfort and extreme temperature ratings.  I have an Autumn bag which has kept me toasty in the Peaks in November.
You can get Kilo bags for about £50 +postage via ebay.
As my Autumn bag is too warm for summer I also have a Blacks duck down bag which cost about £50 IIRC.  Suprisingly good quality, very light and compressible.  Rated +3 to 10 comfort, -5 extreme.  :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2008, 04:55:04 pm »
Thanks for all of the replies.  I think that Snugpak have had enough of a recommendation to make them my starting point.  I've had a trawl around ebay and it looks like I could get a 2 season bag that packs small and only weights 1kg for about £55.

bobajobrob

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2008, 05:06:57 pm »
I got a Snugpak "elite" 3-season bag for about 50 quid from ebay. I would recommend it. Weight is about 1.4 kg, IIRC. There are lighter 1 and 2 season versions available.

« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2008, 05:11:45 pm »
Also consider buying a lightweight good quality sleeping bag liner in addition to a sleeping bag.  They weigh next to nothing and let you deal with a much broader range of temperatures.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2008, 01:38:41 pm »
I've taken the advice offered and ordered a SNUGPAK Softie Kilo.  I managed to get it for £57 off of ebay so it was only slightly over budget.