Author Topic: Mersey 24 2008  (Read 48410 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Mersey 24 2008
« Reply #50 on: 27 June, 2008, 11:16:26 am »
A steady 20kph average including stops / breaks / toilet stops gives 300 miles.  Any more than that and I'll be delighted.

I read years ago that 300 miles was a respectable 24hr distance for a woman and 350 miles for a man.  Having always been an equal rights supporter, I was aiming for 300 miles myself but went a bit quicker than expected in the first half.  I didn't know my distance at the time but now I'm quite happy I just scraped over the 600 km mark. an anorak's delight

Don't just aim at pootling round, get the bit between your teeth and find out what you can really do.  You are aiming to set a women's tandem competition record after all.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #51 on: 27 June, 2008, 01:20:50 pm »
Our club record is 461 miles.  With that in mind, we will be aiming for 330-350 miles. 

Liz - with the speed Charlotte is going at this week, bearing in mind that tandems are faster than solo, you'll probably get to 400 miles  ;).

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #52 on: 27 June, 2008, 01:50:26 pm »
Liz - with the speed Charlotte is going at this week, bearing in mind that tandems are faster than solo, you'll probably get to 400 miles  ;).

Which brings me to  a whole new thread...

gonzo

« Reply #53 on: 28 June, 2008, 07:50:06 pm »
What you really need are musettes like the pro teams have. The helper fills it with all the goodies you've phoned ahead to order and then holds it out with the loop accessible. You ride past with an arm out, scoop it up and nothing gets dropped.

At a race a couple of years back, I watched a guy fail (on 3 separate laps) to pass up a bottle!

« Reply #54 on: 29 June, 2008, 04:26:55 pm »
Would somebody be able to PM me the organiser's address?

Edit: now sorted, thanks to andy and teethgrinder

Really Ancien

« Reply #55 on: 29 June, 2008, 05:24:58 pm »
What you really need are musettes like the pro teams have. The helper fills it with all the goodies you've phoned ahead to order and then holds it out with the loop accessible. You ride past with an arm out, scoop it up and nothing gets dropped.

At a race a couple of years back, I watched a guy fail (on 3 separate laps) to pass up a bottle!

We always used to get them given at the start of the 24. Then they would be handed up at various points around the ride. The all-time worst thing they ever handed up were 'Frosties' bars, absolutely inedible. Safety issues and lack of helpers put paid to hand ups, last year we got a bottle from a firm of accident lawyers, in a nylon bag.

Damon.

« Reply #56 on: 29 June, 2008, 05:54:58 pm »
It's better often to hand up a mussette with one or two bidons in. Don't forget the knot an inch or two from the top of the string to stop it slipping when handed up.

« Reply #57 on: 29 June, 2008, 05:56:39 pm »
I believe I may have volunteered my services to Liz & Charlotte in this affair as well...

Fab.  :D

I'm 80% sure I'll be available on that weekend too, and I'd be happy to help any or all of the yACFers in whatever capacity I can.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

gonzo

« Reply #58 on: 29 June, 2008, 06:03:51 pm »
It's better often to hand up a mussette with one or two bidons in. Don't forget the knot an inch or two from the top of the string to stop it slipping when handed up.

Ahhhh, I wondered why my helper had tied a knot in it on my last 12 hour!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #59 on: 03 July, 2008, 09:11:22 am »
Entrants in the Mersey Roads 24 might want to think about joining The 24 Hour Fellowship.  I only noticed the organisation while riding my only Mersey Roads, they don't advertise much.  Their journal is a good read, containing plenty of history, along with current long-distance road record attempts and the Mersey Roads result, of course.  The 24 Hour Fellowship run the Long Distance Best-All Rounder competition, requiring riders to complete at least one each of 24 hr, 12 hr and 100 mile time trials.  I rode the other distances after doing the Mersey Roads (my first British open TT), it helped that the distances kept getting shorter.  Of course you have to be a member to show up in the list.  You'd be surprised how many AUKs are there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 03 July, 2008, 02:11:08 pm »
OT diversion:
My preparations seem to be going (slightly) downhill:
Polar have just told me they cannot service my obsolete HRM, and last night I sheared my seatpost-bolt (something I thought only ever happened to Other People) so I'll have to use the other bike for my first '25' tonight - won't be much of a shakedown test using a different bike, will it?
... grumble ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #61 on: 05 July, 2008, 09:44:10 am »
Startsheet now up on CTT website. :D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 05 July, 2008, 05:59:39 pm »
Good spot, thanks! I'm quite excited now - this has to be more interesting than the start of Le Tour, n'est-ce pas?

(The bike shop didn't have any spare spokes for my "good" back wheel, so hopefully that's my 3-some of bad luck out of the way ... )

Are the Normans the only siblings in it? Is there a precedent?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #63 on: 05 July, 2008, 06:12:03 pm »
My forecast is for Nik Gardiner to lead for about 22 hours, only to be overtaken by the power and glory that is No 63, Barnes and Norman, who set a comp record of 540 miles.  :thumbsup:

Really Ancien

« Reply #64 on: 05 July, 2008, 06:23:24 pm »
Main points of interest are a strong VC167 presence, Mike Wigley has done it before, Mike Thompson is strong and will show well, Aidan Hedley has ridden with Steve Bateman before on Tandem and Solo, and now rides with the very strong Andy Southworth on Tandem. Joel Sothern makes a return visit from California. Marc Veorinelle from St Cyr Tri Club in St Quentin is probably the first Frenchman to ride, perhaps a RAAM hopeful. Derby Mercury and Edinburgh RC have big teams, John Warnock is one to watch as are Nikolaus Gardiner, Jose Pinon Shaw and Karl Austin. It's nice to see Jim Gresty back.

Damon.

« Reply #65 on: 06 July, 2008, 04:36:09 pm »
Main points of interest are a strong VC167 presence, Mike Wigley has done it before, Mike Thompson is strong and will show well, Aidan Hedley has ridden with Steve Bateman before on Tandem and Solo, and now rides with the very strong Andy Southworth on Tandem. Joel Sothern makes a return visit from California. Marc Veorinelle from St Cyr Tri Club in St Quentin is probably the first Frenchman to ride, perhaps a RAAM hopeful. Derby Mercury and Edinburgh RC have big teams, John Warnock is one to watch as are Nikolaus Gardiner, Jose Pinon Shaw and Karl Austin. It's nice to see Jim Gresty back.

Damon.

Quite a few foreign riders this year. Maybe because it is now a valid ride for UMCA?
My favourite is Nik Gardiner, then I think it will be between John Warnock and Jose Pinon Shaw.
Notable by their absence are Lynne Taylor, Chris Hopkinson and the Cardif Byways team. Also a lack of Willesden.
For the tandems, I reckon that the VC167 will have a comfortable victory, but I think second and third could get very close.

Really Ancien

« Reply #66 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:05:26 pm »
Interesting to see Marina Bloom riding for Rugby CC after a few years with Walsall CC.

Damon.

« Reply #67 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:13:41 pm »
Interesting to see Marina Bloom riding for Rugby CC after a few years with Walsall CC.

Damon.

Marina used to ride for Crawley (road club/wheelers or whatever) She asked Lynne Taylor to join, but Lynne refused. (I think that Lynne is the Walsall RC president, but she had a good reason) So, Marina joined the Walsall. I think that Lynne may have retired and might explain Marina not being in the Walsall. Not unlikely, she's done a lot and rode a very good ride last year with her second fastet ever female British 24 hour. Plus her End to End, 1000 mile and numerous other RRA records. But Rugby?
Without Lynne riding, I think that Marina has to be the obvious ladies favourite. It won't be the same without Lynne though. It'll be my first Mersey when Lynne isn't riding.

Really Ancien

« Reply #68 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:11:30 pm »
I see that there is a 'Jim Rees' off at 57, is this the guy from RAAM film?

Damon.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:14:31 pm »
Gosh, we're in illustrious company.  I'm rather looking forward to it.

Is there any rule about not singing filthy songs whilst time trialling?

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #70 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:17:22 pm »
Gosh, we're in illustrious company.  I'm rather looking forward to it.

Is there any rule about not singing filthy songs whilst time trialling?

:D

Not AFAIK, but you cannot listen to filthy songs (or songs of any nature) with a ipod where both ears have headphones on/in

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Really Ancien

« Reply #71 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:43:06 pm »
44:48   52   VEDRINELLE   Marc   FR   M   VE   Amicale Cycliste Méré Montfort
 From the 2007 PBP results. Looks like a good bet, he would probably have been in a group to acheive that time, but he's a triathlete so he should be able to time trial. (Edit) He was in the group which came in 15 minutes behind the fastest rider, Michel Mangant.

Damon.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #72 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:44:20 pm »
Not AFAIK, but you cannot listen to filthy songs (or songs of any nature) with a ipod where both ears have headphones on/in

I know.  That's a bit crap, 'cos Liz and I work well when we're listening to some banging choons.

Could we just listen to an iPod in one ear each?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #73 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:01:47 pm »
how can tandem riders start a minute apart??  <confused>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #74 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:05:06 pm »
how can tandem riders start a minute apart??  <confused>

S&S couplings  :D