Author Topic: Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2011  (Read 22805 times)

Simonb

Re: Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2011
« Reply #50 on: 06 July, 2011, 07:56:58 am »
Does no-one else record the live or highlights programme and start watching it about 15 minutes later to FF through the ad breaks ?
+1
I  thought everyone would do that.

Silly not to. Isn't this the whole point of digital recorders?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #51 on: 06 July, 2011, 08:12:04 am »
15 minutes is only about three ad breaks, so you'd soon catch up with live TV.

Not all viewers want to watch it later in the day, and not all have recorders anyway.  Freeview is available with TVs and boxes without HDDs.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 06 July, 2011, 08:50:36 am »
15 minutes is only about three ad breaks, so you'd soon catch up with live TV.

Not all viewers want to watch it later in the day, and not all have recorders anyway.  Freeview is available with TVs and boxes without HDDs.
... and it's still more annoying, the more adverts there are.

And it's pretty hard to avoid the drip-drip of Halford bike ads.

But apart from the ads, its not a bad programme,
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #53 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:05:22 am »
No, I don't generally mind adverts. What I do mind is the same irritating handful repeated over, and over, and over...

Last year's Halfords ads were much more bearable, even though (AFAIR) there was only one, with the "Boardmans bikes, born on tour" voiceover. Repetitive but not grating.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:10:08 am »
It's unbelieveable isn't it?
No, not really. It's a commercial station.

We're just saying that there are rather a lot of adverts and - as was stated upthread - they have been allowed to increase the advertising %age recently. Which is annoying. Actually it's probably the repetition factor that grates most; lots of ad breaks, with each one showing the same product at each end. They should repeat the great ads of yesteryear to keep us old grumps onside. ( Papa? )

I prefer watching sport on BBC where possible. I accept it isn't possible for all sports.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #55 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:16:01 am »
I miss this bloke, and the high spending era it encapsulated.
    YouTube
        - ‪Polaris World Old Ad‬‏

The chastened MAMILs can now only afford a plastic bike from Halfords and not an apartment in Spain and the shuttle flights on Easy Air. But they still want to for their plastic bike, pay the right price.

« Reply #56 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:52:02 am »
These ads haven't so far quite reached the irritation levels caused by Tyler Farrer and his transition lenses on Eurosport a couple of years ago, or Paulo Bettini and his sodding Sidi cycling shoes before that.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #57 on: 06 July, 2011, 01:55:32 pm »
It would be pretty boring to watch some of it without a bit of chat, and it can't be easy to talk for 4+ hours for 3+ weeks on the same subject. Of course they can't ever bring themselves to mention drugs! They said Cadel only previously won a stage after Vino had one taken off him for "alleged" drug use. It was a bit more than alleged!

But yeah, give em a break, they do a good job, and it's nice for me to have UK commentators (albeit with massive US bias) to listen to here in the US. Which ad wise I am sure is much worse than the ITV complaints.

« Reply #58 on: 06 July, 2011, 02:01:04 pm »
The TdF is a giant rolling advert anyway. Team/sponsor names, the circus of advertising vehicles before the racing etc.

At least on TV we see more racing than adverts, unlike watching it in real life.

The Halfords/Boardman bikes wash over me. It's the Skoda adverts where the guy opens the door into a wall that really gets me. Someone has to pay for that!

Re: Upthread, it's Nick Owen of GMTV fame not Nick Ross

Simonb

« Reply #59 on: 06 July, 2011, 02:04:00 pm »
It's the Skoda adverts where the guy opens the door into a wall that really gets me.

I found that sequence remarkably reminiscent of Wouter Weylandt's fatal crash in this year's Giro; what with the wall and the rider down.

LEE

« Reply #60 on: 06 July, 2011, 03:05:43 pm »
Does no-one else record the live or highlights programme and start watching it about 15 minutes later to FF through the ad breaks ?

Damn right.  It's the Humax way, always leave a time buffer before watching a program on a commercial station.
It's what the "jump forward 3 minutes" button is for.

« Reply #61 on: 06 July, 2011, 03:08:44 pm »
With itv4 the time buffer needs to be about 2 hours!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 06 July, 2011, 06:26:43 pm »
I watched some of theITV4  live coverage today* They came up with some pearlers.

Best 'background' info was about the 1000s of miles covered by some migratory birds. And the rebranding of the channel as the Atlantic Ocean.

Liggett finally cracked and - showing remarkable restraint, I felt - told Sherwen what we've all been thinking:
"Yes that's true, but not everyone can ride in the first 10-25 places, can they?"
(He could also have said - why don't you tell Boonen that, eh Paul? )

*(whilst opening entry forms - so time not completely wasted)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #63 on: 06 July, 2011, 07:03:10 pm »
Me and Mrs V play Sean Kelly bingo

First typical Kelly phrase that is correctly predicted wins.  Try it!  Here's some phrases to get started

"Cup of Tea"
"On the Rivet"
"Difficult one"
"Oh La La"
"Cadence"
"In cycling terms.."

You forgot the big one - "majorly"  ;D

I find Phil and Paul too excitable, and it annoys me that they insist on converting km to miles (presumably because they also commentate for a US channel). Duffield was King, but Harmon and Kelly are quite agreeable, and Carlton Kirby is quite funny in his own strange way.

The ITV4 show is better post-race though.

fuzzy

« Reply #64 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:41:02 pm »
I think the background info and supporting segments on ITV 4 are better.

inc

« Reply #65 on: 07 July, 2011, 07:31:24 am »
The chuckle brothers don't seem to be so hyper this year and it is great that ITV4 have daily live coverage. I usually watch on German  Eurosport which is still FTA. . The most memorable Liggett comment for me was when he said " between us Paul and I have ridden 7 tours" another case of the older I get the better I was, sorry Phil even in the good old days 3rd cats couldn't ride in the tour. ::-)

fuzzy

« Reply #66 on: 07 July, 2011, 08:26:35 am »
The chuckle brothers don't seem to be so hyper this year and it is great that ITV4 have daily live coverage. I usually watch on German  Eurosport which is still FTA. . The most memorable Liggett comment for me was when he said " between us Paul and I have ridden 7 tours" another case of the older I get the better I was, sorry Phil even in the good old days 3rd cats couldn't ride in the tour. ::-)

Inc, how very dare you doubt Lord Phil of Liggett :o

He is spot on with his information. Between them, he and Paul HAVE ridden 7 tours.

Paul Sherwen rode all 7 of them ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #67 on: 07 July, 2011, 09:51:59 am »
An average of 3.5 each.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #68 on: 07 July, 2011, 11:41:20 am »
That's nothing - me and Lance have won an average of 3.5 each.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #69 on: 07 July, 2011, 05:56:57 pm »
some chateau on todays stage is home to the worlds biggest collection of cat and dog kennels (about 20km from end of race for those that fancy visiting)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #70 on: 08 July, 2011, 02:27:39 pm »
Phil: "Look at the size of her melons Paul!!"

Paul: "I agree, she's certainly got some spectacular ones, and other fruit as well on her stall at the side of the road folks, in case you were wondering what Phil was on about."
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

LEE

« Reply #71 on: 08 July, 2011, 02:31:20 pm »
There was a wonderful description of some local cheese that made me larrf the other day.

It all adds to my enjoyment of the show.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #72 on: 08 July, 2011, 02:46:36 pm »
some chateau on todays stage is home to the worlds biggest collection of cat and dog kennels (about 20km from end of race for those that fancy visiting)

It wasn't just kennels, it was something else as well, but I can't remember what. (I was listening to Harmon's description, haven't heard Liggett's wise words yet so maybe he didn't mention the other thing.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #73 on: 12 July, 2011, 11:48:43 am »
"Frenchman Thomas Voeckler, from France"

Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #74 on: 12 July, 2011, 12:22:05 pm »
Liggett re: the guy who crashed into the fence ' It's impossible for him to be eliminated now, but if he is eliminated I'm sure the referees will bend the rules and allow him to stay in the race'