Author Topic: The Tour de France watershed Spoiler thread  (Read 44575 times)

Re: The Tour de France watershed Spoiler thread
« Reply #250 on: 24 July, 2008, 04:27:39 pm »
Life isn't fair.  The TdF arrived in St Etienne today, c20km from Chez Moi.  I could have been sitting at the side of the road, drinking cheap cold plonk, getting crap freebies and watching the lycra and carbon bling flash past, but I am stuck at home in the office, doing spreadsheets for work.  Booo!  >:( >:( >:(

« Reply #251 on: 24 July, 2008, 05:24:23 pm »
Has Evans actually done anything other than wheelsuck yet?

Well, he's attacked a couple of times and driven the pace at the front a few times as well.

Is that enough for you  ::-) ::-)

For a potential tour winner?  No, absolutely not.  He just hangs onto people's wheels for grim death.  Dull dull dull. A complete lack of any flair.  Hope he loses and someone who took some risks wins.

bikenerd

« Reply #252 on: 24 July, 2008, 05:40:36 pm »
Even Lance Armstrong made sure he won at least one stage in each Tour he won.
Some Tours he won 4 or 5.
Evans is like the kid who copies your homework but still gets better marks than you.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #253 on: 24 July, 2008, 05:47:02 pm »
I have to agree with the complaints against Evans.  I've not seen much of the ITV4 highlights, but what I have seen has shown Evans trying to keep peace with his nearest rivals rather than attacking. 
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Che

« Reply #254 on: 24 July, 2008, 05:59:36 pm »
Maybe so, but you don't win stage races by beasting yourself all the time. Evans has done what he had to do to keep in it until the final TT. And that's all he'd ever do. You're comparing climbers with a time trialist, and criticising the latter for not attacking in the mountains.

All that said, he's a moody git, I don't like him, and even his surname is bad cycling mojo!

« Reply #255 on: 24 July, 2008, 06:21:49 pm »
Cadel Evans is doing extremely well considering his team mates are nowhere to be seen. He does not attack like a Ricco  :demon: but goes across the gaps as seen in the Alps and works hard. As far as I am concerned I hope he wins the tour this year. So far he has been the best tactically. I don't understand he is such a controversial figure to be honest.

gonzo

« Reply #256 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:53:27 pm »
nic; what tactics has he used? All he's done is what he needed to.

CSC on the other hand had 3 strong riders and played things very well to keep attacking Evans from all sides.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #257 on: 24 July, 2008, 10:14:48 pm »
nic; what tactics has he used? All he's done is what he needed to.

CSC on the other hand had 3 strong riders and played things very well to keep attacking Evans from all sides.
And still won't take the overall?

Evans tactics are dull but they work. At least it wasn't a first big climb and it's all over tour..

Anything can happen. Menchov is still in with a shout. Possibly Vande Velde as an outside chance (though I don't rate him to put 4 mins into Sastre on the TT).

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

gonzo

« Reply #258 on: 24 July, 2008, 10:18:41 pm »
That's a good point; this could actually be a good time trial!

« Reply #259 on: 25 July, 2008, 12:23:31 am »
Cadel Evans is doing extremely well considering his team mates are nowhere to be

Thing is - and forgive me for not seeing an answer to this question earlier in the thread, but....

As somebody pretty ignorant of the comings and goings of professional cycling, and as somebody who only logs in to ITV4 once a year to get me annual fix of the 'Phil and Paul Show' [which personally I think is great], it has been said that Evans was a favourite at the begining of the Tour this year, so why is he not in a team with other climbers who can help him through the tough stages?

All the Tours I've watched over the last few years, all the 'big boys' [dope or no dope!] seemed to have had team mates in the mountains?

In the commentary I'm constantly hearing, 'if Evans wants to win he has to do it alone, there's nobody on these mountains who he can call his friends' etc

Just seems a bit strange to me. The guys obvously got a reputation. One of the favourites, etc How come he hasn't got other climbers around him? I can only infer he has a crap team?

Ok, tell me, I've missed something obvious  :)
Garry Broad

Rapples

« Reply #260 on: 25 July, 2008, 12:28:59 am »
I can only infer he has a crap team?
[/quote

Got it in one ;D

Really Ancien

« Reply #261 on: 25 July, 2008, 12:53:57 am »
Evans is like the kid who copies your homework but still gets better marks than you.

There are no win bonuses this year, so there is no reason to win a stage.

Damon.

alchemy

« Reply #262 on: 25 July, 2008, 01:20:35 am »
I agree that it would be good if Evans could win a stage - maybe it'll be Saturdays TT. But if he does win the tour he won't be the first rider to do it without winning a stage.

I think it's more that because he hasn't had a team to help him, he's had to do it all himself, so he hasn't had the energy that the CSC guys have had. Phil and Paul have also pointed out that he's more of a diesel engine and isn't suited to explosive attacks like Sastre etc.

And he enters (and wins) more than one race a year. Which is more than could be said for Armstrong  ;) :demon:

As Scott articulated very well further upthread, he isn't up himself like a lot of pro sports people these days, he's not arrogant and doesn't blame others if something goes wrong. He isn't a "showbag". I like that in sports people

Jakob

« Reply #263 on: 25 July, 2008, 01:56:35 am »
We get a lot of interview with Vande Velde here and he's actually quite a likable character. No-nonsense polite and seemingly realistic answers to sometimes silly questions.
Despite all the ads, the OLN coverage isn't all that bad, with Johan Bruneyel on the pre/post panel (Where Phil and Paul also joins in) and the last 20k's is teh Phil & Paul commentating as well.
Oh and lots of very nice Cervelo & Specialized ads.

« Reply #264 on: 25 July, 2008, 08:25:44 am »
All this talk about disliking Evans - defensive riding, relying on TT skills, looks funny, boring etc - is missing the point.  He's Australian.  'Nuff said.

[Sorry GruB and others - it's not personal]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #265 on: 25 July, 2008, 09:43:05 am »
It would be a real shame if a rider as boring as Evans were to win.  Not since Indurain....

I have to say though, it's the overall time that matters, and he's done pretty much what he needed to do.  That's the game...
Getting there...

ChrisO

« Reply #266 on: 25 July, 2008, 10:35:07 am »
he isn't up himself like a lot of pro sports people these days, he's not arrogant and doesn't blame others if something goes wrong. He isn't a "showbag". I like that in sports people

I know what you mean but actually he comes across in interviews as petulant, moody and paranoid and resentful.

It pains me to say this because I would love to see an Aussie win the tour but the more I see of Evans the more I think he is a total w**ker.

Full marks to him for trying but I'd be hard-pressed to argue that he deserves to win it.

He should take out his aggression on the DS who put together his "team".

alchemy

« Reply #267 on: 25 July, 2008, 10:44:17 am »
He's Australian.  'Nuff said.

[Sorry GruB and others - it's not personal]

::-)

So what's wrong with Australians ?

Signed,
alchemy of Perth (naturalised Australian)

« Reply #268 on: 25 July, 2008, 11:47:59 am »

There are no win bonuses this year, so there is no reason to win a stage.

Damon.

I assume you said this in jest?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

gonzo

« Reply #269 on: 25 July, 2008, 11:49:05 am »
... disliking Evans - defensive riding, relying on TT skills, looks funny, boring ... He's Australian

So what nationality is Robbie McEwen? He could hardly be more different.

Yes he could; he could be a different nationality! ;)

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #270 on: 25 July, 2008, 12:16:24 pm »
I loved it yesterday when the little guy tried to jump the other one as he zipped up his shirt. ;D

Che

« Reply #271 on: 25 July, 2008, 12:25:58 pm »
Of course it's great to see the contenders trying for stage victories, and that's why the bonuses existed. It's a shame that the likely winner hasn't been winning stages, but it's simply unfair to criticise Evans for doing what he can to survive the stages he's less suited to, and not beasting himself unduely. You simply can't compare tactics between races with bonuses and without, either. I'd like to see Evans try to win stages, but I won't criticise him for not doing so; rather I'll argue for the reinstatement of time bonuses.

Still a petulant tosser.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #272 on: 25 July, 2008, 01:13:18 pm »
So how would we all judge Evans if he were say British :)

Che

« Reply #273 on: 25 July, 2008, 01:27:15 pm »
Similarly. Indeed, I'll give you an example. Andy Murry behaves like a cock towards the media. My response? He's a bit of a cock. Evans, at least, is in danger of winning something (albeit not a stage).

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #274 on: 25 July, 2008, 02:18:37 pm »
Personality-wise, I think Evans is misunderstood.

Apparently he's quite a shy, quiet guy. While we were out there following the Tour we were talking to an Aussie lad and he said that he'd seen Evans being interviewed on his bike, one of those situations where he was surrounded by the media with umpteen mics shoved toward him. Evans was visibly shaking during the interview.

At the start in Auray, when he rode past us, Mrs JT shouted "Hello Cadel" and he turned and gave her a smile and a little wave. By contrast Robbie McEwen sat at the start completely ignoring anyone who spoke to him whichever side of the barrier they were on - even little kids asking for autographs.

As for the touchiness about his shoulder. I agree that that moment was quite funny when he lashed out but the guy's broken his collarbone seven times. Having had a heavy crash in the biggest race of his life I think he was entitled to react when someone touched his shoulder.

I agree about his racing tactics but I don't think he has much choice about it. His team is rubbish and he's not a climber. At least if he wins there'll be nothing to be suspicious about. There was something very fishy about last year's Contador/Rasmussen duel they way they were attacking each on the mountains.

a great mind thinks alike