Author Topic: The Tour de France watershed Spoiler thread  (Read 44590 times)

onb

• Between jobs at present
Re: The Tour de France watershed Spoiler thread
« Reply #275 on: 25 July, 2008, 02:38:15 pm »
Similarly. Indeed, I'll give you an example. Andy Murry behaves like a cock towards the media. My response? He's a bit of a cock. Evans, at least, is in danger of winning something (albeit not a stage).

So is Millar but there seems to be plenty of folk who would root for him.

ChrisO

« Reply #276 on: 25 July, 2008, 03:20:03 pm »
Similarly. Indeed, I'll give you an example. Andy Murry behaves like a cock towards the media. My response? He's a bit of a cock. Evans, at least, is in danger of winning something (albeit not a stage).

So is Millar but there seems to be plenty of folk who would root for him.

Yeh but I'm Australian and I think Evans is bit of a cock. Not quite as much as Millar though.

It wasn't just the lashing out at the journo, although the look on his face when he did that was insane.

What about last year when they said "People are starting to talk about you as a tour winner" and he whined back "Oh STARTING to are they." FFS. There's been other stupid stuff as well, and it's not like he doesn't have people around who can advise him or help deflect some of it.

If you want to win the Tour it helps to act like a Tour winner.

Jakob

« Reply #277 on: 25 July, 2008, 06:57:39 pm »
I think both Millar and Cavendish are obnoxious and refuse to support them, but it seems like that it is ok to be an idiot as long as you're winning?
I'll be rooting for the Schleck brothers in the future and possibly Vande Velde.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #278 on: 25 July, 2008, 07:06:23 pm »
I think both Millar and Cavendish are obnoxious and refuse to support them, but it seems like that it is ok to be an idiot as long as you're winning?
I'll be rooting for the Schleck brothers in the future and possibly Vande Velde.

How on earth have you come to that conclusion?
a great mind thinks alike

gonzo

« Reply #279 on: 25 July, 2008, 07:19:58 pm »
Millar used to be an absolute arse, but has apparently changed in his current innings.

Cav says he's the fastest and is. That's not arrogant. He's not particularly charismatic though.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #280 on: 25 July, 2008, 08:19:38 pm »
It is arrogant.  It's also true.   Cav's simplicity is very refreshing.  :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #281 on: 25 July, 2008, 09:39:36 pm »
A stage win by Chavanel. Well deserved after quite a few attempts in this tour.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #282 on: 25 July, 2008, 09:59:34 pm »
Wot Gonzo sed.

Millar was a total cock as a youth, but seems to have turned into a thoughtful and eloquent Bloke these days.  Cav is better at dealing with the Press than I would have been at his age, and Evans is a tad dull, but hasn't put a pedal wrong all Tour.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #283 on: 26 July, 2008, 04:28:41 am »
A stage win by Chavanel. Well deserved after quite a few attempts in this tour.

< cheering > That was really satisfying--he's been trying for a long time, and it was great to see it finally work.  ;D
scottclark.photoshelter.com

gonzo

« Reply #284 on: 26 July, 2008, 04:42:07 pm »
I was originally going for Menchov, but that was the strangest TT I've seen for some time now.

I'm genuinely pleased to see Sastre win; he's a likable guy who was exciting to watch.

Also, it's nice to have seen a tour won on l'alpe!

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #285 on: 26 July, 2008, 06:19:49 pm »
Yay Sastre!  :thumbsup:

Having seen the compilation of Evans' stroppy behaviour on ITV4 yesterday I'm rather chuffed he screwed up today  :)
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

gonzo

« Reply #286 on: 26 July, 2008, 06:25:18 pm »
Did anyone else hear Millar in the eurosport commentary booth? He seemed like quite a reasonable sort of chap. I reckon he's after Sean's job!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #287 on: 26 July, 2008, 06:47:03 pm »
This years tour have been the most exciting one in many years  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #288 on: 26 July, 2008, 08:39:40 pm »
Outstanding stuff!
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

alchemy

« Reply #289 on: 27 July, 2008, 01:29:40 am »
It's been a great tour, one of the best for years  :thumbsup:. I'd have liked to seen the top two positions reversed but I still think Sastre is a worthy winner. He has the sort of decent qualities as a person, and as a rider,  that I admire.

Evans could probably done better if his team had been there to support him. If he's going to win the tour, he should move to a team that can provide that support because for 98% of the time, Silence Lotto were MIA  >:(

« Reply #290 on: 27 July, 2008, 09:10:50 am »
It's been a great tour, one of the best for years  :thumbsup:. I'd have liked to seen the top two positions reversed but I still think Sastre is a worthy winner. He has the sort of decent qualities as a person, and as a rider,  that I admire.

Evans could probably done better if his team had been there to support him. If he's going to win the tour, he should move to a team that can provide that support because for 98% of the time, Silence Lotto were MIA  >:(

Silence Lotto did buy in help, and they have some serious domys. However, it's one thing to have the support available, it's another to have a leader who inspires support. It's obvious to me (as someone who has spent more hours than enough in a team car) that Evans has no friends in the pelaton, and many enemies. His own team seem uninspired to significantly support him (and I for one am not suprised).

Compare this with the committed support Cav gets, or with the total commitment Kelly used to have from his team.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #291 on: 27 July, 2008, 11:53:07 am »
His own team seem uninspired to significantly support him (and I for one am not suprised).

Why are you not surprised?  Surely if he wins they get a nice thick dollop of glory too, and isn't it their *job* to support him?  Did he just have a badly-picked team that couldn't do the job?

alchemy

« Reply #292 on: 27 July, 2008, 01:56:21 pm »
His own team seem uninspired to significantly support him (and I for one am not suprised).

Why are you not surprised?  Surely if he wins they get a nice thick dollop of glory too, and isn't it their *job* to support him?  Did he just have a badly-picked team that couldn't do the job?

Exactly right Andy - I just don't think they were up to the job. The DS should have been giving them a kick up the jacksie - isn't that what DS's/coaches/managers etc are supposed to do?

« Reply #293 on: 27 July, 2008, 04:06:01 pm »
I'm glad Cadel isn't going to win. Seems an OK bloke but a winner who never attacked would be kind of boring.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #294 on: 27 July, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »
I'm glad Cadel isn't going to win. Seems an OK bloke but a winner who never attacked would be kind of boring.

Absolutely!

Nice pic of the two leaders here (pic 3).

Cadel looks really pleased for Sastre  ;D
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #295 on: 27 July, 2008, 10:38:12 pm »
Ooo - Jens Voight and his non existent saddle! ouch!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #296 on: 28 July, 2008, 05:39:33 am »
Yep, a most exciting couple of weeks viewing.  Best in ages for that alone.  I'm glad Cadel didn't win.  I agree with the comments above.  Wheel-sucking is not the Australian way.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #297 on: 28 July, 2008, 02:33:31 pm »
Is that a hat-trick for Spain?

Along with the football-tennis-TdF hat-trick?
Getting there...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #298 on: 28 July, 2008, 02:35:58 pm »
And Contador won the Giro this year.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #299 on: 28 July, 2008, 03:19:28 pm »
Not to roll in the muck, but what's all this negative behavior by Evans that people are talking about? I hadn't heard anything.
scottclark.photoshelter.com