Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2489067 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #19300 on: 23 December, 2016, 08:46:08 am »
Last night was a case of dodging the phone zombies, drunks and stoners, then there were the pedestrians.

Roll on early finish, its been a long week.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19301 on: 23 December, 2016, 09:10:06 am »
I fell over. Icy roads. Thought I was being careful enough but the bike went from under me on a slow left-hand turn. I'm a little achy of left knee, hip, shoulder and head, but nothing major. Renewed respect for weather.

I noticed that I was a bit tense for the rest of the journey in, and the first half of the journey home.

Ouch!

How's the bike.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19302 on: 23 December, 2016, 09:10:29 am »
A wee bit breezy this morning.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #19303 on: 23 December, 2016, 12:25:25 pm »
I fell over. Icy roads. Thought I was being careful enough but the bike went from under me on a slow left-hand turn. I'm a little achy of left knee, hip, shoulder and head, but nothing major. Renewed respect for weather.

I noticed that I was a bit tense for the rest of the journey in, and the first half of the journey home.

Ouch!

How's the bike.

The only damage I can see is some (further) scratching to the brake levers.

Slightly stiff this morning, but nothing major.

A wee bit breezy this morning.

Haven't they given out strong winds today/tomorrow? Watch yourself.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #19304 on: 23 December, 2016, 02:10:29 pm »
Yes take care, it's rough enough down here that I've had trouble holding onto the front wheel, deity knows what it's like up there

« Reply #19305 on: 28 December, 2016, 01:18:24 pm »
Treacherous conditions in York - sunny but with the shady roads covered in invisible ice.  The guy in front of me was out with his 10-11 year old son.  The young lad took a tumble but got up smiling, I think it's easier when you are small!
Move Faster and Bake Things

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19306 on: 28 December, 2016, 01:32:46 pm »
Slept through my alarm, waking at about the time I should have left for work. I rode in anyway, fairly gingerly on the corners. I must have taken my work shoes home for a polish back in August. I'm currently wearing SPDs round the office.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fuzzy

« Reply #19307 on: 28 December, 2016, 01:50:28 pm »
Treacherous conditions in York - sunny but with the shady roads covered in invisible ice.  The guy in front of me was out with his 10-11 year old son.  The young lad took a tumble but got up smiling, I think it's easier when you are small!

Being closer to the ground means not so far to fall.......

« Reply #19308 on: 28 December, 2016, 02:29:20 pm »
Very quiet roads. QUiet weather too.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #19309 on: 28 December, 2016, 02:33:45 pm »
Hard frost and a freezing fog that was doing its best to turn into powder snow---the air full of ice crystals--at 0550. Absolutely without wind.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #19310 on: 29 December, 2016, 09:47:08 pm »
While there was frost on some parked cars last night, there was frost on the roads (OK, mostly CS3) this evening.  By the time I got home my toes were getting cold (no, I was not wearing sandals, but socks and shoes).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #19311 on: 29 December, 2016, 11:17:26 pm »
Pleasant ride today, pretty much uneventful but ticked over 900km/month for 2016 today which was as much a target as anything I had in mind. Feeling quite good about that, so will have another lagunitas IPA.

« Reply #19312 on: 30 December, 2016, 07:39:11 am »
First outing for the studded tyres this morning (bought over a year ago, but last winter was too warm).

They're good aren't they?  :D
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #19313 on: 30 December, 2016, 08:40:18 am »
It's my 2nd best bike upgrade part after a brooks saddle. In it's 3rd year 700x40c marathon winter tyres on my ice winter hybrid has been faultless on my occasional icy 1 hr each way commute to work. Works well on soft snow as well by dropping tyre pressure. The version I have only have studs on the shoulders. Great confidence booster - I cannot recall having experienced major loss of traction with these yet. Did a frosty club ride 3 weeks ago where a club mate came off 1 mile from finish on a a sharp sun shaded bend at midday. Only negative bit is road noise generated but that's no big issue for me.
CCS - Setting the Standards

fuzzy

« Reply #19314 on: 30 December, 2016, 10:20:35 am »
I don't have winter tyres so the last two days have been car commutes. My hips, collar bones, elbows, knees etc. all thank me.

This morning was particularly bad- nearly went arse over tit walking to the car!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19315 on: 30 December, 2016, 10:30:35 am »
Most of this morning's commute was spent wiping fog off my glasses. It wasn't needed in the last 500m as I walked that bit, not wanting to fix a flat so close to work. Something to fettle at lunchtime, I guess.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #19316 on: 03 January, 2017, 09:31:04 am »
First day back on the bike before Christmas. It was one of those holidays that meant, time-wise, I couldn't fit in a ride. Oh well. Happy New Year, etc, etc.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Chris S

« Reply #19317 on: 03 January, 2017, 09:43:03 am »
fboab took the crackly tyres this morning - the road was festively sparkly.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #19318 on: 03 January, 2017, 09:47:22 pm »
GN: Fewer brain-dead tourists in central London.

BN: Morer brain-dead commuters in central London.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #19319 on: 04 January, 2017, 05:35:23 pm »
A surprisingly quiet commutes today.  I decided to start a day later than I had to, which turned out to be a wise decision given the frost yesterday, and the mild weather this morning.  The traffic was a bit quieter this morning, but a lot less busy on the way home.  I almost managed to get home in under an hour, which is very unusual at this time of year.  Presumably a lot of people are taking this week off, and going back to work next Monday.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #19320 on: 05 January, 2017, 08:11:24 am »
Very cold today which seems to have put off the New Year joggers that were everywhere yesterday.

« Reply #19321 on: 05 January, 2017, 10:11:29 am »
An Emu, or an Ostrich, I'm afraid I don't know the difference and it was too cold to get the phone out and take a picture.

In a country lane north of Woodbridge in Suffolk, I had to dismount and walk past four sugar beet lorries being filled up. As I walked past on the edge of the muddy field said Emu/Ostrich was wandering around the field picking up scraps for food.

Quite glad it ignored me, I don't think I have the speed to outrun it!

Do they migrate for winter?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #19322 on: 05 January, 2017, 11:25:33 am »
You sure it wasn't a rhea ?

Rust never sleeps

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19323 on: 05 January, 2017, 01:01:00 pm »
An Emu, or an Ostrich, I'm afraid I don't know the difference and it was too cold to get the phone out and take a picture.

In a country lane north of Woodbridge in Suffolk, I had to dismount and walk past four sugar beet lorries being filled up. As I walked past on the edge of the muddy field said Emu/Ostrich was wandering around the field picking up scraps for food.

Quite glad it ignored me, I don't think I have the speed to outrun it!

Do they migrate for winter?

They would fly south but they can't get passports.

« Reply #19324 on: 05 January, 2017, 04:11:07 pm »
Well if it's the Rhea from Cambridgeshire it certainly walked a fair distance.

The Beet lorry drivers didn't seem to notice anything unusual with it hanging around.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped