Author Topic: Chipped a tooth  (Read 1174 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Chipped a tooth
« on: 21 September, 2015, 07:23:42 pm »
HK has face planted on the way home and chipped a front tooth. What is the deal in this part of the world for dental work, both temporary and permanent?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: Chipped a tooth
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2015, 07:42:54 pm »
Er, go to dentist, suffer pain and indignity opening mouth, then suffer pain and indignity opening wallet?

Where is "this part of the world"? And if it's different anywhere else, I want to know!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2015, 07:49:52 pm »
Emergency dentist if it hurts.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2015, 07:56:40 pm »
First I've heard about an emergency dentist. Will sort something out soon but the patient is still riding home.

« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2015, 08:02:41 pm »
In 1962 I fell and broke two front teeth and chipped one. Treatment on NHS in Scotland was totally free. A few years ago as they were a tad loose went to my NHS dentist who quoted around £500 for NHS treatment for three crowns. I opted to pay for private work by the same dentist as the colour of the private teeth were slightly better and cost around £800 for the three teeth. If you go for implants think in terms of at least £100 per tooth. Give my GWS to HK and hope she is not in much pain.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2015, 08:35:23 pm »
I broke a filling last year.  Called the NHS dentist up the road and asked if they were still taking patients, and how quickly could they see me.  I got an appointment that afternoon, he decided that it wasn't yet seriously damaged, so ground it down a bit and added some new filling.  Was charged for a standard check-up and told to see the hygienist since I hadn't been near a dentist for about 8 years.

Similarly, a non-seriously chipped incisor earlier this year - sharp and catching on my tongue, but not painful.  Phoned up, got an appointment the next day, he smoothed it down and declared it fine, only charged for a check-up appointment.

Logic dictates that he has other patients, but I've never actually seen one.

Anyway, the lesson is that it's a postcode lottery.  In some parts of the UK NHS dentists are a myth and the private ones are hard to come by.  Around here, they seem to be desperate for patients.

(Teeth are one of the things I got lucky with genetically.  Never needed more than a couple of standard fillings, in spite of generally breaking all the "it'll rot your teeth" rules.)

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2015, 09:23:48 pm »
People bad-mouth dentists [Oh really, Chris? I'm mean REALLY?] but in general, the system works.

A friend's teenage kid face-planted onto a kerb on the way to school one morning, and took himself to the dentist and got repairs to his smashed-up gob underway, and then went to school, even without the Parents knowing (until later).

If HK is registered with an NHS dentist, then just get an emergency appointment, and turn up. If not registered, then get so because it's actually Quite Useful.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2015, 09:28:47 pm »
She is apparently registered somewhere and will ring and go there under protest tomorrow. Nerve isn't exposed, so ok.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2015, 10:33:42 pm »
Send HK to a dentist and give her my best wishes.
Prepare yourselves for cash extraction.
Ideally, opt for a treatment likely to last 40 years.

Personally, I don't skimp on dental or optical matters.
YMMV.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2015, 10:37:31 pm »
Money isn't a consideration for important things here too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 21 September, 2015, 11:10:38 pm »
There are three fillings in both my front teeth.
Good dentistry is worth a lot...

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2015, 07:35:54 am »
Just wondering, is she the young lady I saw who had fallen off on river slime at edge of road in Chiswick last night?  I thought she looked like a possible YACF as she had a proper bike setup with audax style mudflap.
She seemed a bit shook up but toughing it out.
(I was the bloke being taken for a bike ride by dog).
Re dentists can't really advise.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 22 September, 2015, 09:01:18 am »
Sounds like the same incident.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #13 on: 22 September, 2015, 09:04:16 am »
Hope tooth gets filed down OK.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #14 on: 22 September, 2015, 09:08:57 am »
Send her my best wishes and hope she makes a speedy recovery.