Author Topic: Alem Tejo 1200 Portugal  (Read 1858 times)

Alem Tejo 1200 Portugal
« on: 17 September, 2017, 08:51:53 pm »
Randonneurs Portugal's inaugural 1200 takes place this week and I know at least one forumite is signed up for it.  Start and finish in Lisbon with a big and a small loop around the southern Alentejo region.  I'm volunteering at the 838km control at Beira TrainSpot nr Marvao from early Saturday morning so hope to meet any YACFers taking on Portugal's 1200 - unless you're really fast and don't bother with the sleep stop at Évora, in which case you'll be gone before I'm on duty.  There's lots of MAMBA country so stock up well with supplies when you get the chance. 
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

portugal-alem-tejo-1200
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2017, 04:08:42 pm »
http://www.randonneursportugal.pt/

This 1200 one starts pretty soon. Is is an annual event?

Fancy doing some riding abroad in the next 12 months and need something to plan for.

Re: portugal-alem-tejo-1200
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2017, 04:09:52 pm »
Sorry I saw a thread further down.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2017, 06:05:51 pm »
Fancy doing some riding abroad in the next 12 months and need something to plan for.
The Borders of Belgium is on next year I think - easy to get to, loads of Brits do it, fast at first, lumpy later. Recommended. (Although I am familiar only with the first half....)
https://www.facebook.com/Borders-Of-Belgium-BRM-1000-km-236119126459293/

Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Alem Tejo 1200 Portugal
« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2017, 07:35:10 pm »
There's lots of MAMBA country so stock up well with supplies when you get the chance.

"M"?? shouldn't that be "k" ? 

Hope it's gone well  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2017, 07:50:40 pm »
There's lots of MAMBA country so stock up well with supplies when you get the chance.

"M"?? shouldn't that be "k" ? 

Hope it's gone well  :thumbsup:
Brexit units already.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2017, 11:53:28 pm »
Phil, say hello to Mark Thomas when you see him. I'm not sure which other peripatetic randonneurs will be riding, though no doubt there are the usual suspects, mostly from Seattle.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2017, 12:01:17 am »
This is the first Portuguese 1200, though they did a low-key tester 1200 last year.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 24 September, 2017, 05:56:11 pm »
30 starters from Spain (7), France (1), USA (3), Brazil (3), Russia (1) and Japan (1), UK - via Colorado (1) Keiran Johnson, rondevandoodsmak OTP, and the rest from Portugal.

By the km832 control at Beira, my station, they were well spread out with the first in, Pedro Alves in at 12.10 Saturday. Toshi and Keiran next, soon after. The last, Julia Lemos came in on her own at 18:52. .  I was a bit concerned about her condition and she said she felt dehydrated. But she rallied and set off again on her own, as she had been all day. By our control there were 5 DNFs and we'd lost Aleksei Bulychev to a mechanical but were pleased to hear he'd made his own way to the overnight sleep control at Évora.  Brent and Beth Meyers with their tandem had packed at the first overnight after suffering some breathing problems. Manuel Asencio packed on the final day and arrived at the finish in a taxi.

At the time of writing (17:31 UK/Portugal time) finishers already in are the two remaining Catalans, Francisco and Marc who'd left the night stop at 22:50 last night and got to Lisbon Expo Parque at 13:20, followed by Pedro A at 13:50. Keiran and Toshi arrived together at five, with the Meyers and Rui (Transcontinental '17) among others to greet them. Mark Thomas in at 18:20.

The rest are out on the road somewhere with until 12:30 tonight to finish. 

**Update at 20:27. All but four now in.  Still plenty of time.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2017, 09:54:49 am »
Last rider home, Valter, 1h40 within the cut-off. All other riders accounted for inc. abandons.

« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2017, 06:44:14 pm »
Phil, thanks again for the great support at Beirã. Your fruit cake went down a treat with ice cream and coke at the last control of the day in Avis.

Every day had its share of beautiful roads, hilltop towns with cobbled streets and café-bars with top-quality coffee and friendly and curious patrons.

Traffic was a bit hairy coming into Évora on day 2 and, as expected, entering Lisbon at the finish. But generally, and especially on day 3, traffic was negligible and drivers were respectful.

Organisation was first class from start to finish. Pedro and his gang did an incredible job, from the meticulously crafted cue-sheet to the Rando Portugal stamps provided in advance to the shop owners at controls, to the two clean and comfortable sleep stops. And most amazing of all, the trip across the Tagus on day 1 aboard a specially-arranged Portuguese naval vessel!!!

I rode solo most of the way and finished in 81:30 with a healthy 16 hours of sleep. Already planning a return visit next year with the family, to see some of the places (e.g. Évora, Elvas) I only saw briefly or in the dark this time.

Would definitely recommend riding with Randonneurs Portugal, and hopefully I can do a 200k with them on my trip next year.

« Reply #11 on: 01 December, 2017, 01:41:19 am »
Phil -

Just happened upon this thread. Thanks to you and colleagues for excellent stop at Beira.

The 1200 was a great event. Good route, nice scenery, and caring support.

Thanks!

Mark