Author Topic: The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 + EXTRA + Spring Dash 100 — Sat 16 March 2019 — PBP Q  (Read 24332 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
And the next Cambridge Audax event is ... An extra slice of The Cambridge Pork Pie! The same Classic route as previous years, and another running of the Extra route for those with plenty of winter-fitness who fancy the challenge. Flat then hilly as you tackle les Alpes de Leicestershire, then a very hilly return, then flat. Just one control at Melton Mowbray, but plenty of places to stop en route.   8am start.

To quote Tomsk: "All in all a great route that has the makings of a tough, early-season classic  :thumbsup:"  Always fun ;)

As last year there are two routes — the Classic route, which is still one of my faves from Cambridge, as well as the new, more scenic route, with added elevation-gain and a raft of new countryside and landmarks, plus bonus kilometres (but no extra time allowed) — a proper challenge for anyone who's up for it.  The Extra is just shy of AAA by the new method of counting, but that should give some indication of its stiffness, especially for an East Anglian start!

Hopefully a little less windy than last year ...

Also The Cambridge Spring Dash 100 — a ride of two pubs across the chalky hills south of Cambridge! Although it might be a ride of one pub this year due to a change in opening hours; or possibly no pubs as the other one recently had a posh makeover!  I'm waiting to hear, but we have contingency plans, just in case — it's definitely* a ride of two pubs, the Tally Ho is opening up especially and the White Horse Inn's new management is delighted to be taking part  :thumbsup:  Very fixed-friendly 9am start.

We'll be serving something hot and plenty of cake at arrivée, as previous events. Always a friendly and sociable finish to nicely-challenging, early-season rides :)

http://www.camaudax.uk/porkpie

http://www.camaudax.uk/springdash

A previous year's chat here.

* unless something changes between now and then, of course
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 — 17 March 2018 (plus the Spring Dash 100)
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2018, 06:36:55 pm »
Nick, is the Extra slice just out and back on the same route ? (the RWGPS link is just a 110km out route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19392047 )
Regards,

Joergen

dim

« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2018, 06:43:08 pm »
Hi Nick .... I don't have mudguards, and I don't want to buy clip on mudguards for my bike. (I am saving up for an additional bike for Audax that will have mudguards, dynamo lights etc, but I may not have that in time)

does that rule me out for the 200km or the 100km ride?
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2018, 06:58:46 pm »
Nick, is the Extra slice just out and back on the same route ? (the RWGPS link is just a 110km out route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19392047 )

Jibers, the Extra uses a different route between Oundle and Melton Mowbray compared to the Classic.  Everyone uses the same return route ... although I'm going to see if I can find more hills for the Extra retour, just for you  :demon:

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2018, 07:02:40 pm »
Hi Nick .... I don't have mudguards, and I don't want to buy clip on mudguards for my bike. (I am saving up for an additional bike for Audax that will have mudguards, dynamo lights etc, but I may not have that in time)

Dim, possibly all you need is a cheapo ass-saver, like one of these — literally something just so's when you sit down you don't leave a muddy patch on someone else's seat.  Even a decent-sized Carradice or similar saddle bag will do the same job.  You'll probably be asked to ride on the back of the group if you don't have full-length guards, though, as you'll still be kicking it up in other riders' faces.

Then again, it could be bone-dry on the day, here's hoping ...

dim

« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2018, 07:06:30 pm »

Dim, possibly all you need is a cheapo ass-saver, like one of these — literally something just so's when you sit down you don't leave a muddy patch on someone else's seat.  Even a decent-sized Carradice or similar saddle bag will do the same job.  You'll probably be asked to ride on the back of the group if you don't have full-length guards, though, as you'll still be kicking it up in other riders' faces.

thanks Nick .... I will get the ass-saver if I don't have my new bike in time  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2018, 07:51:15 pm »

Jibers, the Extra uses a different route between Oundle and Melton Mowbray compared to the Classic.  Everyone uses the same return route ... although I'm going to see if I can find more hills for the Extra retour, just for you  :demon:
Haha thanks..... ;)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2018, 09:17:10 pm »
You'll probably be asked to ride on the back of the group if you don't have full-length guards with a decent size mudflap,
though, as you'll still be kicking it up in other riders' faces.
 ;)
FTFY

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2018, 09:42:14 pm »
Nick, are you accepting entries on the line?  I enjoyed this a couple of years ago, but work is looking very busy this year and might not know my availability until late on.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2018, 09:47:24 pm »
Nick, are you accepting entries on the line?  I enjoyed this a couple of years ago, but work is looking very busy this year and might not know my availability until late on.

Dave, it's a bit early to be discussing EOL.  I usually have a few spares for late entrants, but it's by arrangement and in very limited numbers, because we need to know a week or so beforehand how many we're catering for at arrivée.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
I just heard back from the second pub on the Spring Dash, having heard from the first last night, and they're both up for it!  :thumbsup:  Phew! The 100 will be a ride of two pubs after all!

As for the Pork Pie Extra route, I'm thinking I might reverse it this year — the Classic will stay the same, but I think it could be fun to ride the Extra the wrong way around; with only the one control at Melton Mowbray, it's possible to explore a bit.  I'm hoping to try it next weekend, and then route-check the Classic in early March.

I checked the Spring Dash 100km route a couple of weeks ago and no changes: two pubs, plus one info that you don't need to stop to take note of, it will be clear to you as you pass it and you probably won't even need to slow down for it, either :)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
I'm off to route check the Pork Pie Extra route tomorrow.  It's forecast cold, and I haven't ridden for six weeks, so if I'm not feeling quite up to the extra climbing and distance then I'll ride the Classic instead — the controls are the same, so I can decide on the move  :)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
That was a VERY cold route check on Sunday — brrrrrr!  I had to work hard all day to stay warm, but later on as I got fatigued then I got really cold. 

It was a beautifully bright and sunny day, in spite of the cold, and it was a glorious journey seeing all the views from the other side — the scenery really is earily as nice leftwards as it is to the right, possibly more-so :thumbsup:

This year's Classic route is the same as always — it's a lovely route, briefly challenging in places, but the views are worth it   ;)

And this year's Extra route is the reverse of last year's, with a few other minor alterations.  You do not have to do anything different to ride the Classic or the Extra — just enter The Cambridge Pork Pie on the Audax UK website and then decide on the day — even while you're riding — which route you'd prefer to use. 

There is just one control at the halfway point in Melton Mowbray for both routes, so you can mix'n'match as you and your companions see fit. Both routes are identical to Oundle (and back), so you don't even need to make a decision until you've had a coffee :)

I'm glad you flagged this. I hadn't spotted it, and I wouldn't have entered the Dash in time. It's a good event, I know from previous years. Looking forward to it.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
A fair number of riders have requested a bit more time to worry about the weather, so I have extended the entry period for another week.  However, I have had to order the brevets, so there are a fixed number of spaces available — I hope I have ordered enough for everyone who will want to enter, but I strongly suggest you enter sooner to avoid disappointment.

At the moment I think the forecast* is likely to be a lovely spring day — sun all day, with a gentle south-easterly to lunch, and a strengthening north-westerly back to Cambridge in the afternoon.  Temperatures will stay above 8°C, but won't rise above 15°C, as it's obviously still spring.  There will be a brief rain shower at about 1pm, but you'll be able to watch it pass over through Gregg's front window in Melton Mowbray.  A perfect day for a long bike ride ;)

* Obviously I'm making this up — I have no idea what we're forecast yet.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
I'm guessing the weather in the past few weeks might've put some riders off, but having ordered a fixed number of brevets, I still have a few spare places on both events — and the weather is currently looking like a really nice day*  :thumbsup:

If you're think of joining us, don't tarry too long, as entries finally close in a couple of days' time — more information here.

* for mid-March.

The links to the GPX and TCX files, at least for the 100, are broken (on the CamAudax page). The gps-2018 folder is missing from the path (you can see that by comparing the location of the Pork Pie files).

So incidentally is the link from the Pork Pie page to the Spring Dash page (it's got the folder name for the Pork Pie as though it was a sub-page, whereas actually it's alongside in the folder tree).

Hope this helps!

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
The links to the GPX and TCX files, at least for the 100, are broken (on the CamAudax page). The gps-2018 folder is missing from the path (you can see that by comparing the location of the Pork Pie files).

So incidentally is the link from the Pork Pie page to the Spring Dash page (it's got the folder name for the Pork Pie as though it was a sub-page, whereas actually it's alongside in the folder tree).

Hope this helps!

Thanks — that helps immensely.  Fixed now, thank you! 

(I must remember to click every link before pushing live  :-[)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Okay, I have sent emails out to all entrants (except the new ones from today).  Some emails bounced and I'll try and chase those up, but if you have entered and not received an email from me, please feel free to confirm.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
It's all very well sending e-mails, but could you now turn your attention to sorting out the weather please?  Snow forecast at arrivee  :'( I thought we were past all that for this year.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
When I sent the emails out last night, the weather forecast was for a very nice day.  12 hours later and it has turned a lot cooler  ::-)  I'm not pinning anything on the forecast for a day or two yet, it could all blow through on Friday, or not arrive until Sunday, or even not at all.  Fingers crossed!

The MetOffice forecast is currently much better than yr.no ... so just choose the forecast that most appeals, same chance of getting that weather on the day.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

dim

The MetOffice forecast is currently much better than yr.no ... so just choose the forecast that most appeals, same chance of getting that weather on the day.

bottom line ... it looks like a hard ride/shit day, with strong wind .... so dress warm ...  :)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels

bottom line ... it looks like a hard ride/shit day, with strong wind .... so dress warm ...  :)

I wouldn't put it quite like that, Dim — I route checked The Pork Pie Extra a couple of weeks ago and the temperature barely got above 2°C, yet it was still a glorious day out on the bike  :thumbsup:

But I agree you'll need to dress a lot warmer than the forecast suggested yesterday  ::-)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Testing cake number 2.  Thought I'd mention it  ;D