Author Topic: A random thread for small audax things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 17289 times)

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
While the points champion, club championship, FWC etc is being decided, it's hotting up in the battle of the Clems!

I accused John Clemens of being my arch-enemy when I met him on the Gala 200 in October, as he was always just above me (alphabetically) in the tables. And now there's another one, dammit. Does Richard Clements post on here? And does he also get annoyed at his surname being misspelt nearly all the time?
He does post here but has only just spotted this  ;D

Never a problem with my his name being misspelt  :)

Aha! The clue's in the name :facepalm:

The three of us could form Clem CC.

Please don't make a "Clem CC"  I'm a Geordie and it sort of doesn't conjure up a nice image in my mind   http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clem
On second thoughts, go on do it !! :) lol
https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

I hadn't heard that one.

In Darlo, a clemmie's a spitball. I don't think that's any better.

a clemmie's a spitball.
I probably fit that description...
Eddington Number 75

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
I hadn't heard that one.

In Darlo, a clemmie's a spitball. I don't think that's any better.

I'm not proud of this, but I can remember in school saying things like "suck my clems they're midget gems" , I obviously went to a good school!
https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

rob

I don't think in the whole time of my AUK membership have I got to May with only 2 points on the board.

I was in the same position, until making a 150% increase on the 8th.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
I was just looking at Andrew Uttley's "A Ride around Ben Kilbreck" Perm up on the north coast. He's listed the location of two of the turns as "Middle o' bloody nowhere" ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

That has to be up there with the North West Passage's "Turn Left at Little Chef (no longer there)"  - and I'm not kidding.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
That has to be up there with the North West Passage's "Turn Left at Little Chef (no longer there)"  - and I'm not kidding.

That sort of instruction is a usual part of the jovial organisers bag of tricks. There`s a ride around these parts with an instruction, " In 5.6km turn right signed "tiny village", sign missing".
 I can`t remember the village name now, but the distance is wrong anyway and you approach it in the middle of the night.

Unbelievably, I went the correct way. :thumbsup:

That sort of instruction is a usual part of the jovial organisers bag of tricks.
I recall one such...
(after a considerable number of rural km) Turn Left (no sign) but it's opposite a wooden gate.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Retrace to Mencap...
(90 km from Gonerby Services to Doncaster Mencap) on an iconic Bernie ride.)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
I recall one such...
(after a considerable number of rural km) Turn Left (no sign) but it's opposite a wooden gate.
I use that sort of thing quite often on my home made route sheets.  It distinguishes it from the left turn opposite a hedge and the left turn opposite a house, for example, thus adding an extra layer of confidence.
El Supremo had an instruction once along the lines
3rd R $ <somewhere>.  DO NOT confuse with 2nd R also $ <somewhere>

In other small things, I cycled some of the way back from a meeting in London yesterday (I skipped the London bit).  I looked back at the sunset while passing Chelmsford and got a splendid view of waves of trees with nary a building to be seen.  Very nice.  I then enjoyed the rising of the (enormous but it shrunk as it got higher) moon.  Alas (?) these poetic descriptions have so far failed to convince any colleagues to join me on some other trip.  I didn't mention the passing wvm who stopped and reversed to check I was OK whilst I was a-watering of the hedgerow.  Very thoughtful - at some point in the past I ungratefully failed to thank whoever it was that found me the time I did need finding (as I've no recollection what happened I can't retell the story).
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Ian Ryall (notp, I don't think) has been quietly grinding out the miles. And the hills... Especially the hills.

His latest exploit: https://www.strava.com/activities/1158003980

Here's Ian, for anyone struggling to place the name to a face:

Ben T

Is he Welsh? Or am confusing him with somebody else...

He's Midlands-based and not Welsh, by his accent.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Subject to validation I've now done a fixed AAA SR series. New knees are on the Christmas list.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

I've completed my SR but it hasn't been recognised on my awards page. I suspect this is because when I extended a calendar 400 to 600, the ECE leg is dated the day after the calendar 400.

Is there anyone I can email to see if I can be awarded the SR?

Thanks. 

I'm a bit surprised that the ECE has been given a different date - I *thought* that it always got the same date as the event it's associated with.

I'd email the Recorder (Peter Lewis, recorder@audax.uk).

Very helpful, jsabine, thanks. I think I may be responsible for the date issue on the ECE.

Best to get the date issue sorted first with the ECE organiser.
And if still not right thereafter my secret Recorder powers can indeed be deployed to assist  ;D

simonp

I'm waiting for my last 200k to leave provisional status (ece already done that) so I can get my ultra randonneur status. Such impatience.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
I don't think I'll ever understand how the aukweb.net BRAIN works. (Or the 50% rule):

Points   11 (17 in perms)
(-12 points countable under 50% rule)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
I don't think I'll ever understand how the aukweb.net BRAIN works. (Or the 50% rule):

Not sure how your points from perms can exceed your total points. But after that anomaly it follows the 50% rule correctly.

11 points  17 from perms  (?)  Therefore -6 from calendar events (?)  So points for competition purposes can't exceed 2x -6  therefore  -12.  Something very odd though with either total or perm points though.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

My guess is that the above display was an odd quirk due to rides being added, but the points totals not being updated (which happens overnight).
Today it shows

Points    25 (17 in perms)
(16 points countable under 50% rule)

which appears to be correct?

I'm not a fan of displaying the 'points countable under the 50% rule' in such a prominent fashion.  It gives the (false)impression that points from Perms are somehow of lesser value. 

ALL points can be counted towards individual achievement awards.
Thus the rider who has 1x1400(perm)  1x400  1x300(diy) 2x200 still gets their SR  - calculated & displayed automatically and nothing to do with the fact that the rider in question kindly dragged me round most of that 400  ;D

The 50% rule is only relevant in determining who takes the 'trophy' for the most number of points achieved in a season in various categories....and please let's not rehearse the arguments about competitive awards for non-competitive cycling. The cartoon below used to appear in our printed handbook to remind us that these were always to be taken light-heartedly.