Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 164505 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #50 on: 17 December, 2015, 05:04:52 pm »
His wheels alone are worth more than Steve's whole bike. Interesting choice.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hillbilly

« Reply #51 on: 17 December, 2015, 05:16:31 pm »
And it's a faster colour.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 17 December, 2015, 05:34:07 pm »
One bike?! :o
Getting there...

hillbilly

« Reply #53 on: 17 December, 2015, 05:35:50 pm »
I've got the same bike stand

Chris S

« Reply #54 on: 17 December, 2015, 07:11:00 pm »
One bike?! :o

Maybe.

Bruce: "And, I'll need three more like this."

« Reply #55 on: 17 December, 2015, 07:15:42 pm »
It would seem to have no way of varying the handlebar height.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #56 on: 17 December, 2015, 07:26:45 pm »
It would seem Bruce is going the Kurt Searvogel route for his record attempt bike.
Do you mean bikeS? Kurt regularly uses a recumbent (amongst other beasts!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #57 on: 17 December, 2015, 07:28:11 pm »
An Aero bike test in the recent Tour magazine gives the Canyon Aeroad 2-3 min depending on wheels over your usual roadbike for 100km 75kg at 200w. So that is 3-5h per 10.000km?

« Reply #58 on: 17 December, 2015, 08:51:31 pm »
Let's hope it doesn't rain, wet roads on that?
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #59 on: 17 December, 2015, 08:57:09 pm »
An Aero bike test in the recent Tour magazine gives the Canyon Aeroad 2-3 min depending on wheels over your usual roadbike for 100km 75kg at 200w. So that is 3-5h per 10.000km?

How much does it give it vs a Raleigh Sojourn with full mudguards and a few kilos of luggage...?

« Reply #60 on: 17 December, 2015, 09:31:39 pm »
Somewhere in the Tarzan/Bruce logic is the unassailable fact that doing the mileage requires adequate rest patterns which in turn require riding at evens or over with minimum energy expenditure. A classic audax/randonneur approach will require a very strong man because the miles aren't going to get any shorter. 16-18mph isn't going to hack it any longer.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #61 on: 17 December, 2015, 10:21:47 pm »
Don't tell Bruce, but the wire to the back Di2 mech seems to have fallen off!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #62 on: 18 December, 2015, 12:22:18 am »
Looks zoom zoom.

Really nice.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #63 on: 23 December, 2015, 10:50:14 am »
I reckon he won't be riding in Richmond Park very much - unless he wants to lose a lot of time and money getting pulled over by the parks police for breaking the 20mph speed limit. He'll want to be averaging almost 20mph so there are bound to be some downhills where he will go a lot faster.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #64 on: 23 December, 2015, 12:56:52 pm »

Interesting to see his 2015 mileage is just under 30k miles  :o

I'd say that's an ideal jumping off point for the record.  He's going into the record with enough fitness and experience but without being too tired as he needs to more than double that number. A tough asked but doable.

« Reply #65 on: 23 December, 2015, 01:01:52 pm »

Interesting to see his 2015 mileage is just under 30k miles  :o

I'd say that's an ideal jumping off point for the record.  He's going into the record with enough fitness and experience but without being too tired as he needs to more than double that number. A tough asked but doable.
Indeed, I note by his Strava account he's already in Adelaide knocking out a few rides on the beach front.
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #66 on: 23 December, 2015, 01:18:06 pm »
Perhaps he's doing the Rapha Festive 500 as his taper?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #67 on: 23 December, 2015, 01:40:53 pm »
I reckon he won't be riding in Richmond Park very much - unless he wants to lose a lot of time and money getting pulled over by the parks police for breaking the 20mph speed limit. He'll want to be averaging almost 20mph so there are bound to be some downhills where he will go a lot faster.

He manages quite enough laps there already without getting pulled.

I have done several hundred laps of the park and never been pulled (even I can manage laps at over 20mph average).  Anyone that rides there regularly knows where the police are and, in general, they are more concerned with cars than bikes.  As long as you don't come down a hill towards them, on the wrong side of the road, overtaking cars at 40+mph, they will, in general leave you alone.

It's not the ideal place for big miles most of the time, too much traffic in the daytime, 5 roundabouts to negotiate (which is part of the reason why ACW is quicker), and not flat.  But in the early mornings before the gates open and in the evenings once they are locked, then it's a pretty good place if he's happy churning out laps (which he seems to be).  It's near his house I think (not actually sure where he lives, but somewhere local, I feel Barnes maybe). 

He does several other loops around here, mainly along the roads following the river, so pan flat.

We'll see what he does.  I will certainly give him a cheer if he passes me in the park. 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #68 on: 23 December, 2015, 02:25:39 pm »
31 laps of RP would be a Godwin, more or less.  That would be akin to what Kurt's been doing in west Florida recently.  RP is significantly more hilly though - there's only actually one proper flat stretch of a few hundred yards - the rest is undulating, and Dark Hill is an out-of-the-saddle job (for me anyway) so that would get the heart pounding every lap!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #69 on: 23 December, 2015, 02:47:08 pm »
He needs to maintain the ability to go fast toontra, so using more than a steady state heart rate is probably good.

Tommy Godwin was using mega intervals in his summer months.

simonp

« Reply #70 on: 23 December, 2015, 04:33:28 pm »
To improve fitness you need recovery time. Riding at LSD pace leaves a lot less recovery time.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #71 on: 24 December, 2015, 10:35:04 am »
31 laps of RP would be a Godwin, more or less.  That would be akin to what Kurt's been doing in west Florida recently.  RP is significantly more hilly though - there's only actually one proper flat stretch of a few hundred yards - the rest is undulating, and Dark Hill is an out-of-the-saddle job (for me anyway) so that would get the heart pounding every lap!

If you look at his typical usage of the park, he actually does not do Kingston<->Robin Hood Gate much (in comparison to the rest of it, probably still does that section several hundred times a year!).  He uses the 3 roads across the centre a lot to create smaller, flatter, faster loops.

Anyway, we'll see if he stays true to form and continues to use the park from April.  I would guess he will, and certainly outside of the times when the gates are open, it is a great place to add miles.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #72 on: 24 December, 2015, 10:44:27 am »
To improve fitness you need recovery time. Riding at LSD pace leaves a lot less recovery time.

But riding at LSD pace requires a lot less recovery than riding fast.

If you going to do 200 miles the physiological question is whether doing it in 10 hours (20mph) and having 14 hours of recovery a day is better (long term) than doing it in ~14 hours (15mph) and only having 10 hours of recovery a day.

Remember that Steve's current conditioning is such that he's averaging below 90bpm on these rides.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LMT

« Reply #73 on: 24 December, 2015, 10:47:29 am »
All depends on your power in relation to your FTP. The good Dr has a stages power meter so he is ahead off the game already.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 24 December, 2015, 03:04:39 pm »

But riding at LSD pace requires a lot less recovery than riding fast.

If you going to do 200 miles the physiological question is whether doing it in 10 hours (20mph) and having 14 hours of recovery a day is better (long term) than doing it in ~14 hours (15mph) and only having 10 hours of recovery a day.

Remember that Steve's current conditioning is such that he's averaging below 90bpm on these rides.
In bold is the key issue here: I dont think there is anywhere near enough science and/or data out there to answer it.

(yet!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles