Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve ends his second attempt  (Read 22882 times)

Tail End Charlie

Re: Steve ends his second attempt
« Reply #50 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:36:28 am »
Impressive.

Tough call.

You hero, Steve, I'll buy you a beer sometime.

Amen to that. I'll do the same.

« Reply #51 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:38:50 am »
Well done on outstanding achievement  :thumbsup:.
the slower you go the more you see

Martin

« Reply #52 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:39:37 am »
Tough decision Steve,

have a well earned rest, you are still The Daddy on this side of the Pond this Millennium.

« Reply #53 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:40:21 am »
*round of applause for all you've achieved, Steve*

Commiserations on having to make a really tough decision.

You know I'm here for you if ever you need anything.

Take care of yourself xx

LMT

« Reply #54 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:41:00 am »
Well done on setting a new record and all the best with your future endeavours - be it the HAMR or something else.

« Reply #55 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:42:48 am »
That first video is very moving indeed

:-(

« Reply #56 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:48:59 am »
I like the long video, Steve's clearly happy at home with good friends. Steve's no more failed than Michael Broadwith failed at the Mersey Roads.
I wonder if we'll ever see such a competition again?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #57 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:51:51 am »
Like every other part of the effort that must have been such a tough thing to do.  Rest well Steve.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #58 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:52:18 am »
Aw, that's a shame but the right decision I think.

TRULY AUDACIOUS, can't say anything else!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #59 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:56:34 am »
Still a Hero !

He has put himself in the handful of greats in distance cycling.

Well done Steve, recouperate well.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #60 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:56:51 am »
+1 to all above, fantastic effort Steve  :thumbsup:

I look forward to riding with you again sometime/somewhere soon.

« Reply #61 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:00:56 am »
Chapeau Steve, on a fine effort.

I have enjoyed watching your progress in awe over the last 385 days and you have certainly inspired me to ride further.

Thank you, and now rest up and stay healthy... and look forward to the spring!

Mike

« Reply #62 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:08:50 am »
Difficult decision, and I have to say quite sensible to leave it a while to make it.  You wouldn't want to quit and wonder what might have been if you'd carried on.

You set out to cycle for a year, got hit by a moped, got back on your trike and carried on, had to change your diet completely, got back on the bike and carried on, moved into the next year after you started, got back on the bike and carried on, and only after plenty of thought did you make the difficult (and probably correct) decision to stop.  You still claimed a UMCA record and no doubt have some awesome memories.  Might even have inspired a whole generation of new attempts on it.  Enjoy a rest.

« Reply #63 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:09:06 am »
I reckon making that video must have been as hard as some of the tough days on the road. Broadcasting your retirement this time from the challenge must have been truly heartbreaking and a really tough call, especially after just ending what was effectively a 235 mile day and a bit on the road.

I have immensely enjoyed following your journey, it's very easy to sit at a screen and watch rather than being out in all weathers every single day and it is not surprising Tommys record has stood for so long. In fact within these shores it effectively continues to stand. ( but kudos to Kurt and Alicia for taking on the challenge too).

The good thing is that you have come away from this with yourself intact and the respect of the world for reigniting the interest in The Year record.

You are a true hero.

I am sure recouperation will take time, but for now, cheers on being such a single minded mileater. The next few months will no doubt be difficult too, make sure you bolt the door at night to prevent your body wandering off on the bike for a spin round MK sleep cycling.

And don't forget the whole cycling community remain resolutely behind you, so even though some privacy will no doubt be nice, do not feel embarrassed to ask the cycling community for any help you need in months and years to come.

Now where's that book that Dave Barter is ghost writing for you about the attempt. 😜

.....order No. 1, ready and waiting.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #64 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:10:44 am »
Sad news but I expect it was the right decision.

Chapeau to Steve and the Team for what must have  been a challenging 12+ months.

H

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #65 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:11:02 am »
I just read Steve's email and wanted to add my own message of support for him personally - what he undertook was massive and I have deep admiration for him and for his decision to stop.

I hope you recover soon Steve and I look forward to seeing you out there someday.

« Reply #66 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:11:42 am »
marcusjb has captured everything there is to say.
I wish Steve well , whatever he chooses to do in the future. His legendary status within AUK has just reached  a  new level and will endure for a long time.

Bairn Again

« Reply #67 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:14:02 am »
"His legendary status within AUK has just reached  a  new level and will endure for a long time."

That. 

And a nice guy too.   :thumbsup:

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #68 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:14:18 am »
Steve, we all know how strong you are, physically and mentally but this record attempt also to a degree required Lady Luck to be on your side, sadly she wasn't always paying full attention.

Tommy Godwin would be giving you a huge round of applause and scratching his head wondering how the hell you managed to cycle 63,568.2 miles in a year when you'd suffered a broken ankle and ridden through one of the windiest years on record.

You've inspired so many people and boggled so many minds. It's.....er.......mind boggling.
Well done Steve.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

TGS

« Reply #69 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:15:49 am »
Steve, you are a hero.

To have ridden 63,565 miles in a year which included a broken leg, one legged recumbent riding and a PBP is absolutely amazing. If the moped had not stopped you in your tracks things would have panned out very differently.

If you ever decide to try again you will have our wholehearted support, but maybe you can just relax for a bit now?

« Reply #70 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:21:54 am »
Steve, you've been outstanding.
Much respect.
J

« Reply #71 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:31:01 am »
Wot everyone else has said in spades.

As yet I've only watched the first shorter video, and I've never met Steve in person, but at points he appears to be almost breaking down in tears. He certainly looks completely shattered. This video and Steve's appearance and demeanour  increases my respect for everything he (and his team) have achieved.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #72 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:39:24 am »
Massive congratulations on your amazing, inspiring achievement Steve!
Many, many thanks to the support team as well.
Best Wishes and Good Luck to all in adjusting to a quieter, but hopefully prouder 'normal' life.

« Reply #73 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:42:12 am »
That was a great effort Steve. Sorry it didn't work out. Don't dwell on what might have been. Enjoy your rest & make sure you fully recover before doing anything else.

« Reply #74 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:42:44 am »
Huge congratulations Steve!  You've really done something amazing over the last year so you should feel proud of your truly awesome achievement.  I wish you all the best of luck with whatever you choose to do next.