Author Topic: [HAMR] Thoughts on a fully funded record attempt  (Read 12024 times)

Re: Thoughts on a fully funded record attempt
« Reply #25 on: 23 January, 2016, 03:00:51 pm »
IF I had another go, I'd definitely go the full on Team Sky route if I could. I am sure that Tommy Godwin would have done too.

Cost?
Kurt spent about a dollar per mile. He paid for everything himself. All his equipment. But he had one volunteer AFAIK, not paid staff.
I don't know if Kurt had the motorhome before he started.

So even from that, with paid staff etc, we're looking at hundreds, not tens of thousands of pounds even for a pretty basic set up.

Before I stopped we talked about on the road support. It would have made a difference. But fundamentally my downfall was down to both bad luck and not starting with enough fitness. We agreed that if I had road support that I'd probably get my distance up to 205 a day, but I still wouldn't do much more because I needed so much recovery to gain the speed to do more within the time we had.
Take away the bad luck, we reckon I had a fair chance of clinching the record, but not by much.

I'm cool with people talking about my having another go. Nobody is pointing a gun at my head and forcing me. I see it as people down the pub planning the hypothetical perfect murder or bank job.

There is an ultra racer who uses paid staff. I have met him. I hear he has a pretty fast staff turnover because crewing for an ultra racer is a tough job, though I do hear that he pays well. Expect screaming, shouting and abuse from your rider in extreme events, it does happen.
The fellow who uses paid staff is a multi millionaire who has his own business selling aircraft to the very rich. He loaned a bike to Hoppo in the Race Around Ireland. Just one of his spares he had knocking around. I reckon it was worth about £20,000.(and I set it up for Hoppo in about 5 minutes flat!)

All the other racers have volunteers instead of paid staff. It's not unheard of for crews to abandon their riders because they can't hack it.
It's an often said phrase that, "your crew can't win your race for you but they sure can lose it for you."
Your crew can also gain you penalties.

In theory, I should have had a follow car at all times. That was one of the reasons behind the spot tracker. The UMCA do understand how extremely difficult it would be to have a full time road crew for a whole year.
They also reccommend 6 hour stints on "direct follow" (where the rider has the follow car directly behibd them at all times) There are also a lot of rules to comply with, especially on direct follow.
It's really not as simple as it may seem, but still possible.

Steve - I would be really interested to know where do you stand on the latter part of Kurts ride - the drafted laps around a flat, closed circuit?  Would you consider something like this for a future attempt?  Did you look for a suitable venue for this attempt?

I know you had the bowl but the elevation and length of that track doesn't really seem advantageous.

That would seem to be a great way to take some of the sting out of a British winter without it costing a fortune.   
Maybe a circuit could be found in France or somewhere close to home where you could make a base each day?

I think Kurt was really struggling until he hit those closed circuits with riders to lead him out

« Reply #26 on: 23 January, 2016, 03:10:30 pm »
What about publicity days at places live Silverstone.   Riders could pay to turn up and ride with you for an hour thus giving you the draft and raising money to pay for the venue as well as bolster the coffers.   

There is a perfectly round test track somewhere but I don't know where that is.  Millbrook perhaps?

« Reply #27 on: 23 January, 2016, 03:31:41 pm »
Hello Steve. Best chance IMHO is train to ride faster, move to USA, buy a motorhome, find another Alicia, and marry her  :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 23 January, 2016, 03:49:56 pm »
Hello Steve. Best chance IMHO is train to ride faster, move to USA, buy a motorhome, find another Alicia, and marry her  :thumbsup:

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #29 on: 23 January, 2016, 04:10:45 pm »
I did have Gosling Stadium velodrome in Welwyn in mind but we never looked into it.
But like MK Bowl, it would probably work best when it's not windy. Very small circuits have the advantage of luggage free riding, plus I could even have spare bikes and wheels at hand with minimal support or taxi (as I can't drive myself)
I would draft if it could work. It would work on a velodrome. Everyone who tried to pace me left me behind up hills and slowed me down on the descents, jut as I predicted from the start. Hoppo was the only one who did a reasonable job of pacing me.
I did sit in on a few laps of cyclo cross training at MK Bowl, until they started winding up the pace.

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:28:26 pm »
We did approach various people David Brailsford, Wiggo, Chris Hoy, Chris Boardman etc.  We got messages of support along the lines of "Shine on you crazy diamonds...". Maybe they won't think so crazy now.

Can't believe you lot are speculating on another attempt a couple of days later. I'm not sure who needs this fix of year record riding more, the yacf massive or Steve.

I suggest you start a thread entitled "Thoughts on a fully funded pub crawl for Steve". I think that would be more appropriate right now.

simonp

« Reply #31 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:31:42 pm »
Talk is cheap. It's very easy to muse about what a follow on attempt might look like, particularly if it's in an SEP field.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #32 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:36:15 pm »
We did approach various people David Brailsford, Wiggo, Chris Hoy, Chris Boardman etc.  We got messages of support along the lines of "Shine on you crazy diamonds...". Maybe they won't think so crazy now.

Can't believe you lot are speculating on another attempt a couple of days later. I'm not sure who needs this fix of year record riding more, the yacf massive or Steve.

I suggest you start a thread entitled "Thoughts on a fully funded pub crawl for Steve". I think that would be more appropriate right now.

Toofy, you have a PM along these lines on behalf of Pompey Wednesday Night Pub Rides!

H

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #33 on: 23 January, 2016, 07:11:44 pm »
Wait and see what Steve wants to do.

This. The poor chap is very weary, and still 'in mourning'.

Such suggestions are inappropriately hasty.  "Sorry to hear that your wife has just died.  I can recommend a good woman, dating agency, speed-dating session . .  ."

Lay off.

This

[edit] Sorry hadn't read past that post
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #34 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:29:36 pm »
Op is full of ifs and buts, let's add a few facts.

[...]

Kurt was by no means a.broken man, we here of tommy unable to walk after his attempt, Kurt had a hell of a lot more in the tank. Had Steve of been putting in bigger miles, Kurt of beaten that.

I suspect this is another of those zombie factoids.  Paging Citizenfish...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:31:30 pm »
Zombies... that might be the solution.

« Reply #36 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:31:52 pm »
I have been thinking it would be nice to have a dinner/event to celebrate 2015 as the year record reawakening. I know a lot of the families of the previous holders and I've always wanted to get them together. Steve would be guest of honour of course. We'd have moped lad in stocks out the back. Maybe we could crowd fund that?

« Reply #37 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:34:05 pm »

[...]

Kurt was by no means a.broken man, we here of tommy unable to walk after his attempt, Kurt had a hell of a lot more in the tank. Had Steve of been putting in bigger miles, Kurt of beaten that.

Absolute zombie factoid, possibly started by me. I found details of his army service in the archives. He passed his medical A1, and was asked why he was so fit. He mentioned cycling. The medic said "Ah,yes, very good for you if done in moderation, how far did you use to ride". Godwin states, "200 miles per day". Medic ordered an immediate re-examination.

« Reply #38 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:36:50 pm »
Great posting  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #39 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:40:09 pm »

[...]

Absolute zombie factoid, possibly started by me. I found details of his army service in the archives. He passed his medical A1, and was asked why he was so fit. He mentioned cycling. The medic said "Ah,yes, very good for you if done in moderation, how far did you use to ride". Godwin states, "200 miles per day". Medic ordered an immediate re-examination.

Are you sure that didn't read "Medic ordered head examination"?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #40 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:41:57 pm »

[...]

In any case, Godwin finished on 500 days, not 365.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #41 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:46:35 pm »
I've never believed the "had to re-learn how to walk" thing.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #42 on: 23 January, 2016, 10:02:09 pm »
I never took it in a literal sense.  Steve has stated a loss of flexibility, there's enough smoke right there for a self serving bullshitter journalist to go to press with.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Ben T

« Reply #43 on: 23 January, 2016, 10:08:59 pm »

[...]

I wonder how he got from wherever he parked his bike to his bed every night?  ::-) :-\ ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #44 on: 23 January, 2016, 10:32:00 pm »

[...]

I'm sure I read it elsewhere about forty years ago.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #45 on: 23 January, 2016, 10:34:39 pm »
My most recent thought: now all the excitement has died down (tips cap to KT, notwithstanding) I'm settling down to read CF's book properly!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #46 on: 24 January, 2016, 12:12:00 am »

I'll fund that on my own, if you want! You're right, the daily Strava, Ivan and Jo fix has become addictive and it's already leaving a big gap in many lives here. I wouldn't wish another attempt on Steve any time soon, but if he feels the need I'm bloody certain the funding would be there again. This time, don't give the Prof, Sir Dave, Sir Wiggo or Sir Hoy the option to pass. Put out the publicity saying they're coming, then invite them...!

« Reply #47 on: 09 January, 2017, 01:30:47 pm »
IF I had another go, I'd definitely go the full on Team Sky route if I could. I am sure that Tommy Godwin would have done too.

Cost?
Kurt spent about a dollar per mile. He paid for everything himself. All his equipment. But he had one volunteer AFAIK, not paid staff.
I don't know if Kurt had the motorhome before he started.

So even from that, with paid staff etc, we're looking at hundreds, not tens of thousands of pounds even for a pretty basic set up.

Before I stopped we talked about on the road support. It would have made a difference. But fundamentally my downfall was down to both bad luck and not starting with enough fitness. We agreed that if I had road support that I'd probably get my distance up to 205 a day, but I still wouldn't do much more because I needed so much recovery to gain the speed to do more within the time we had.
Take away the bad luck, we reckon I had a fair chance of clinching the record, but not by much.

I'm cool with people talking about my having another go. Nobody is pointing a gun at my head and forcing me. I see it as people down the pub planning the hypothetical perfect murder or bank job.

There is an ultra racer who uses paid staff. I have met him. I hear he has a pretty fast staff turnover because crewing for an ultra racer is a tough job, though I do hear that he pays well. Expect screaming, shouting and abuse from your rider in extreme events, it does happen.
The fellow who uses paid staff is a multi millionaire who has his own business selling aircraft to the very rich. He loaned a bike to Hoppo in the Race Around Ireland. Just one of his spares he had knocking around. I reckon it was worth about £20,000.(and I set it up for Hoppo in about 5 minutes flat!)

All the other racers have volunteers instead of paid staff. It's not unheard of for crews to abandon their riders because they can't hack it.
It's an often said phrase that, "your crew can't win your race for you but they sure can lose it for you."
Your crew can also gain you penalties.

In theory, I should have had a follow car at all times. That was one of the reasons behind the spot tracker. The UMCA do understand how extremely difficult it would be to have a full time road crew for a whole year.
They also reccommend 6 hour stints on "direct follow" (where the rider has the follow car directly behibd them at all times) There are also a lot of rules to comply with, especially on direct follow.
It's really not as simple as it may seem, but still possible.

=========================================================

Interesting reading this again

Good luck Steve

« Reply #48 on: 13 January, 2017, 06:24:47 pm »
Steve. ... pleased you are not 'OFF '  just yet with this frosty weather.  Glad team all coming together slowly but surely.

« Reply #49 on: 02 February, 2017, 05:57:37 pm »
Not too long now Steve.  Everyone's thoughts and best wishes are with you.  Pleased all is coming together