Author Topic: Another go .. TG??  (Read 56542 times)

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #550 on: August 20, 2017, 11:34:51 am »
370.8 km yesterday.

His HR only went over 100 bpm on a few occasions during all of that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #551 on: August 22, 2017, 03:37:12 pm »
370.8 km yesterday.

His HR only went over 100 bpm on a few occasions during all of that.

He spends most of the day cycling with the same heart rate of many people sat watching TV
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #552 on: August 23, 2017, 08:21:09 am »
I may be wrong, but I think this is the first visit to Wales during this entire project.  Croeso Steve.  Prob lwc.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

« Reply #553 on: August 23, 2017, 08:45:20 am »
Currentlu having breakfast inthe West End Cafe, Llandovery.

« Reply #554 on: August 31, 2017, 08:28:51 pm »

1270.2 ahead of the Godwin line.
1056.9 ahead of the Searvogel line.
1157.5 behind the Coker line.

SoreTween  you are the master at providing mileages covered
Steve continuesto bash out the mileages to beat the Godwin record.
The 4th September is not far off and 6 months covered. Please advise what distance then he has covered. Then we shall have an idea of his expected total.  Obviously he'll do less with winter on its way!
Keep going Steve and good to chat with you recently

[/quote]

« Reply #555 on: August 31, 2017, 09:03:36 pm »
I don't think anyone on here is belittling Steve's attempt; just trying to understand what the attempt is as the OYTT website doesn't specify other than to beat the HAMR

Pretty sure I've read more than once the Godwin mileage is the one he plans to beat.  But keep looking as twill zoom be 6 months covered so we'll ave an idea of years likely mileage   you did sterling work on LEL assisting.

« Reply #556 on: August 31, 2017, 09:27:40 pm »
Well - there's a plan then.

Stay within 1000 miles of the Coker line, if at all possible. This will be hard - winter is coming, and that was a BIG advantage to Amanda - there's no winter in Florida (to speak of).

Then - assuming still 1000 miles outside the Coker line, bury yourself to get Coker+50 for each of the last 20 days. Record won.  :thumbsup:

(To my mind - Coker is unbeatable until some metronomic robot beats her in a velodrome, or someone just about beats her in similar conditions).

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #557 on: September 01, 2017, 12:05:22 am »
Pretty sure I've read more than once the Godwin mileage is the one he plans to beat.

He's aiming for Amanda's record - his own post on this is one page upthread:-

I'm still going for Amanda's record, though it does look unlikely that I'll succeed.
I need to get faster to succeed. I tried trying to get faster while riding around 14 hours a day (not including stops) and that didn't really work. So now I'm trying to ride fewer hours and have more recovery while just doing enough to stay ahead of Kurt.
Too early to see if it's working yet. I rode easy for 2 weeks before the Mersey 24 and seem to have gained a little bit of speed, but not much.
I seem to have a reasonable day or two before my speed drops again. That makes sense because I'd expect to have to ride a bit faster than normal then recover, which means slowing down.
I tend to look at a week at a time rather than days. Last week on Strava was a good sign that my speed is increasing. I was generally riding around 95 hours a week earlier in the year and doing over 1500 miles. Last week I rode 1500 miles in under 90hrs riding time. Even then, looking at a week at a time isn't entirely accurate because of weather.
Whether I can beat Amanda's record depends on whether I can get my speed up early enough, then start doing the longer hours again. That'll mean riding longer and faster in the winter. That doesn't seem impossible but I can see that it would seem unlikely.
I still have the men's record to go for. But if all else fails, I don't see the point in stopping. I may not get the record, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to stop. After all, I'd only find some other ride to do, so I might as well keep going just to finish the story.
Still 7 months to go  :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #558 on: September 01, 2017, 03:16:47 pm »
Seems to be going well at the moment... 90 hours or less a week to do around 1500 miles... still losing on Coker, but consolidating the advantage on KS

dogtrousers

• Pantaloon
« Reply #559 on: September 04, 2017, 12:18:43 pm »
Just passed half way.  (Actually a couple of days over half way)

« Reply #560 on: September 04, 2017, 01:04:10 pm »
Just passed half way.  (Actually a couple of days over half way)

What mileage has Steve done in the half year  ??

grahamparks

• London N19
    • My Instagram
« Reply #561 on: September 04, 2017, 01:53:34 pm »

I make it 39,545.3 miles up until the end of the last ride posted on Strava yesterday morning, which is 183 and a bit days, or 216 miles per day.

Reaching Amanda's number would require 259 miles/day from now on. Beating Tommy/Kurt requires only about 200 miles/day.

Beating Steven's existing record only requires 132 miles/day. If he continues at his current rate he should be there sometime around Christmas.

« Reply #562 on: September 04, 2017, 05:56:00 pm »

I make it 39,545.3 miles up until the end of the last ride posted on Strava yesterday morning, which is 183 and a bit days, or 216 miles per day.

Reaching Amanda's number would require 259 miles/day from now on. Beating Tommy/Kurt requires only about 200 miles/day.

Beating Steven's existing record only requires 132 miles/day. If he continues at his current rate he should be there sometime around Christmas.

Many thanks Graham

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #563 on: September 05, 2017, 05:25:42 pm »
Video from Kajsa showing Steve in action:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UfCFrXy6UdI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UfCFrXy6UdI&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/UfCFrXy6UdI
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #564 on: September 05, 2017, 05:27:00 pm »
He's looking really good in that video. Flying along.

« Reply #565 on: September 05, 2017, 09:21:13 pm »

Oaky.  Many thanks.  39545 for half year = 79090 approx for year. He's never going to do 259 per day if in the best of weather he's averaged 216.  Well done Steve as you'll beat your own record plus Godwins.

« Reply #566 on: September 12, 2017, 12:05:18 pm »
"Going to try a circuit of about 10 miles today A505 Leighton Buzzard to the A5 Dunstable and back."

https://twitter.com/steve_abraham74/status/907529179926855680
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #567 on: September 12, 2017, 03:32:33 pm »
Looking really strong (and fast!) in that video... love the slow cadence... in the face to the 90 RPM brigade  ;D

« Reply #568 on: September 17, 2017, 10:24:05 am »
No updates on Strava since thursday... Garmin issues or something happened?

EDIT: just read the tweet, stomach problems... guess two days off make a big dent in his lead over KS and probably means goodbye to any chance to catch AC.

Keep it going! :thumbsup:

« Reply #569 on: September 22, 2017, 08:00:50 pm »
No updates on Strava since thursday... Garmin issues or something happened?

EDIT: just read the tweet, stomach problems... guess two days off make a big dent in his lead over KS and probably means goodbye to any chance to catch AC.

Keep it going! :thumbsup:

Even without the 2 days off he's not going to average 259 mls a day
We would all wish he could but it's a NO NO sadly

grahamparks

• London N19
    • My Instagram
« Reply #570 on: Yesterday at 10:37:21 am »
I note from Strava he's doing laps of a TT circuit near Leighton Buzzard now, and his mileage is slightly up on previous weeks.

On the other hand, he seems to be on the road for 24+ hours at a time with sporadic long (snooze?) stops in McDonalds and various hedgerows. This seems... unsustainable?

« Reply #571 on: Yesterday at 03:26:30 pm »
I note from Strava he's doing laps of a TT circuit near Leighton Buzzard now, and his mileage is slightly up on previous weeks.

On the other hand, he seems to be on the road for 24+ hours at a time with sporadic long (snooze?) stops in McDonalds and various hedgerows. This seems... unsustainable?

McDonalds and stomach problems... why do I see a connection?