Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175865 times)

Martin

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #525 on: 02 August, 2017, 06:07:22 pm »
Yebbut who cares about age group records?  They're something to keep older triathletes happy; medals for everyone.

especially as the Men's record is currently held by someone quite a bit older than Steve

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #526 on: 02 August, 2017, 08:25:34 pm »
What motivates Steve? Steve knows.

I'm still very interested in how he gets on. Take nothing away from Amanda Coker. She achieved something mind-blowing.

Steve, at the outset, tried to emulate, and beat, Godwin. To an extent at least, he uses bikes which were comparable to the 1939 equivalent. He has stuck to roads and mixed it with traffic. The distinction between Amanda's and Steve's attempts will not be acknowledged by the UMCA, for the purposes of the record. Those of us who take an interest recognise that there's a distinction.

TBH, without wishing to be too abrasive, I'm not sure why people are posting on a thread about Steve's latest attempt just to belittle it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #527 on: 02 August, 2017, 09:06:33 pm »

TBH, without wishing to be too abrasive, I'm not sure why people are posting on a thread about Steve's latest attempt just to belittle it.

In my case not belittle, just understand... for instance I was not aware there is more than just one record to play for... although it's still not fully clear to me whether other categories other than "the record" really exist.. the UMCA website is quite minimal

Martin

« Reply #528 on: 02 August, 2017, 10:52:11 pm »
I don't think anyone on here is belittling Steve's attempt; just trying to understand what the attempt is as the OYTT website doesn't specify other than to beat the HAMR

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #529 on: 03 August, 2017, 12:15:18 am »
It's what Steve wants to do, and I'm with him 100% on that. Why there has to be some of justification for it is beyond me. Why do people bother to get Audax points when they have no chance of getting the yearly record? Wowbagger is right, some posts on here are hard to fathom.
It is simpler than it looks.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #530 on: 03 August, 2017, 06:40:36 am »
It's what Steve wants to do, and I'm with him 100% on that. Why there has to be some of justification for it is beyond me. Why do people bother to get Audax points when they have no chance of getting the yearly record? Wowbagger is right, some posts on here are hard to fathom.

Points are awarded automatically, there is no effort involved other than riding an event, which I assume people do to enjoy themselves... I don't think many actively seek them. Some do and there are awards for that: RRTY, Randonneur 5000 and Randonneur 10000 are directly based on points... and of course all other awards are directly or indirectly based on points.
Ultimately you need the right combination of points to get an SR which is a requirement to qualify for PBP... all sorts of reasons to look after your points

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #531 on: 03 August, 2017, 07:49:36 am »
I think you may have misunderstood me. There has been questioning of what purpose there is in Steve is riding all year round when he cannot beat Amanda. That clearly is not his purpose.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #532 on: 03 August, 2017, 08:08:38 am »
That clearly is not his purpose.

It's probably clear to you, but not to me or others, hence the comments. His website still claims that he has set off in pursue of the record, which as I understand, belongs to Amanda.
However, thanks to all the contributions, I am also beginning to understand that every completed attempt is a new record in some way.

Basically, I think the all story is not clear to someone like me who thinks the 100 mt record belongs to Usain Bolt... of course there are records in at least a dozen categories of disability, there are youth records, national records, continental records, master and senior records and whatnot and maybe my view is a bit simplistic... in fact I could go out on the track now and set my own 100 mt record  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #533 on: 03 August, 2017, 08:35:08 am »
Women's and men's records too.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #534 on: 03 August, 2017, 09:52:31 am »
As I understand it, Steve has set out to ride as far as he can in a year.  Seems fairly clear.

Not so clear... from his site I quote

"He is now beginning another attempt on the year record.  This is currently held by Kurt Searvogel, though Amanda Coker looks to be on course to break his record."

To me this reads as he did set out to beat the record  ???

whosatthewheel

« Reply #535 on: 03 August, 2017, 12:29:41 pm »
You're making a very simple concept - riding as far as possible in a year - over complicated.

Don't think so.

« Reply #536 on: 03 August, 2017, 11:58:18 pm »
I'm still going for Amanda's record, though it does look unlikely that I'll succeed.
I need to get faster to succeed. I tried trying to get faster while riding around 14 hours a day (not including stops) and that didn't really work. So now I'm trying to ride fewer hours and have more recovery while just doing enough to stay ahead of Kurt.
Too early to see if it's working yet. I rode easy for 2 weeks before the Mersey 24 and seem to have gained a little bit of speed, but not much.
I seem to have a reasonable day or two before my speed drops again. That makes sense because I'd expect to have to ride a bit faster than normal then recover, which means slowing down.
I tend to look at a week at a time rather than days. Last week on Strava was a good sign that my speed is increasing. I was generally riding around 95 hours a week earlier in the year and doing over 1500 miles. Last week I rode 1500 miles in under 90hrs riding time. Even then, looking at a week at a time isn't entirely accurate because of weather.
Whether I can beat Amanda's record depends on whether I can get my speed up early enough, then start doing the longer hours again. That'll mean riding longer and faster in the winter. That doesn't seem impossible but I can see that it would seem unlikely.
I still have the men's record to go for. But if all else fails, I don't see the point in stopping. I may not get the record, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to stop. After all, I'd only find some other ride to do, so I might as well keep going just to finish the story.
Still 7 months to go  :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #537 on: 04 August, 2017, 12:03:09 am »
Thanks Steve.
Best wishes.   Good luck
And keep on keeping on.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #538 on: 04 August, 2017, 12:10:13 am »
What Basil said.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #539 on: 04 August, 2017, 12:24:26 am »
But if all else fails, I don't see the point in stopping. I may not get the record, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to stop. After all, I'd only find some other ride to do, so I might as well keep going just to finish the story.
Still 7 months to go  :)

Chapeau!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #540 on: 04 August, 2017, 06:49:42 am »
Awesome Steve, thanks!

« Reply #541 on: 04 August, 2017, 07:09:05 am »
Yes!!

« Reply #542 on: 04 August, 2017, 08:41:15 am »
Really good to hear from you, Steve.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #543 on: 04 August, 2017, 02:37:07 pm »
What a great attitude!! You can tell Steve's had some experience of this long distance riding game!

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #544 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:34:51 am »
370.8 km yesterday.

His HR only went over 100 bpm on a few occasions during all of that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #545 on: 22 August, 2017, 03:37:12 pm »
370.8 km yesterday.

His HR only went over 100 bpm on a few occasions during all of that.

He spends most of the day cycling with the same heart rate of many people sat watching TV
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #546 on: 23 August, 2017, 08:21:09 am »
I may be wrong, but I think this is the first visit to Wales during this entire project.  Croeso Steve.  Prob lwc.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #547 on: 23 August, 2017, 08:45:20 am »
Currentlu having breakfast inthe West End Cafe, Llandovery.

« Reply #548 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:28:51 pm »

1270.2 ahead of the Godwin line.
1056.9 ahead of the Searvogel line.
1157.5 behind the Coker line.

SoreTween  you are the master at providing mileages covered
Steve continuesto bash out the mileages to beat the Godwin record.
The 4th September is not far off and 6 months covered. Please advise what distance then he has covered. Then we shall have an idea of his expected total.  Obviously he'll do less with winter on its way!
Keep going Steve and good to chat with you recently

[/quote]

« Reply #549 on: 31 August, 2017, 09:03:36 pm »
I don't think anyone on here is belittling Steve's attempt; just trying to understand what the attempt is as the OYTT website doesn't specify other than to beat the HAMR

Pretty sure I've read more than once the Godwin mileage is the one he plans to beat.  But keep looking as twill zoom be 6 months covered so we'll ave an idea of years likely mileage   you did sterling work on LEL assisting.