Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175960 times)

Chris S

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #550 on: 31 August, 2017, 09:27:40 pm »
Well - there's a plan then.

Stay within 1000 miles of the Coker line, if at all possible. This will be hard - winter is coming, and that was a BIG advantage to Amanda - there's no winter in Florida (to speak of).

Then - assuming still 1000 miles outside the Coker line, bury yourself to get Coker+50 for each of the last 20 days. Record won.  :thumbsup:

(To my mind - Coker is unbeatable until some metronomic robot beats her in a velodrome, or someone just about beats her in similar conditions).

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #551 on: 01 September, 2017, 12:05:22 am »
Pretty sure I've read more than once the Godwin mileage is the one he plans to beat.

He's aiming for Amanda's record - his own post on this is one page upthread:-

I'm still going for Amanda's record, though it does look unlikely that I'll succeed.
I need to get faster to succeed. I tried trying to get faster while riding around 14 hours a day (not including stops) and that didn't really work. So now I'm trying to ride fewer hours and have more recovery while just doing enough to stay ahead of Kurt.
Too early to see if it's working yet. I rode easy for 2 weeks before the Mersey 24 and seem to have gained a little bit of speed, but not much.
I seem to have a reasonable day or two before my speed drops again. That makes sense because I'd expect to have to ride a bit faster than normal then recover, which means slowing down.
I tend to look at a week at a time rather than days. Last week on Strava was a good sign that my speed is increasing. I was generally riding around 95 hours a week earlier in the year and doing over 1500 miles. Last week I rode 1500 miles in under 90hrs riding time. Even then, looking at a week at a time isn't entirely accurate because of weather.
Whether I can beat Amanda's record depends on whether I can get my speed up early enough, then start doing the longer hours again. That'll mean riding longer and faster in the winter. That doesn't seem impossible but I can see that it would seem unlikely.
I still have the men's record to go for. But if all else fails, I don't see the point in stopping. I may not get the record, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to stop. After all, I'd only find some other ride to do, so I might as well keep going just to finish the story.
Still 7 months to go  :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

whosatthewheel

« Reply #552 on: 01 September, 2017, 03:16:47 pm »
Seems to be going well at the moment... 90 hours or less a week to do around 1500 miles... still losing on Coker, but consolidating the advantage on KS

« Reply #553 on: 04 September, 2017, 01:04:10 pm »
Just passed half way.  (Actually a couple of days over half way)

What mileage has Steve done in the half year  ??

« Reply #554 on: 04 September, 2017, 01:53:34 pm »

I make it 39,545.3 miles up until the end of the last ride posted on Strava yesterday morning, which is 183 and a bit days, or 216 miles per day.

Reaching Amanda's number would require 259 miles/day from now on. Beating Tommy/Kurt requires only about 200 miles/day.

Beating Steven's existing record only requires 132 miles/day. If he continues at his current rate he should be there sometime around Christmas.

« Reply #555 on: 04 September, 2017, 05:56:00 pm »

I make it 39,545.3 miles up until the end of the last ride posted on Strava yesterday morning, which is 183 and a bit days, or 216 miles per day.

Reaching Amanda's number would require 259 miles/day from now on. Beating Tommy/Kurt requires only about 200 miles/day.

Beating Steven's existing record only requires 132 miles/day. If he continues at his current rate he should be there sometime around Christmas.

Many thanks Graham

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #556 on: 05 September, 2017, 05:25:42 pm »
Video from Kajsa showing Steve in action:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UfCFrXy6UdI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UfCFrXy6UdI&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/UfCFrXy6UdI

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #557 on: 05 September, 2017, 05:27:00 pm »
He's looking really good in that video. Flying along.

« Reply #558 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:21:13 pm »

Oaky.  Many thanks.  39545 for half year = 79090 approx for year. He's never going to do 259 per day if in the best of weather he's averaged 216.  Well done Steve as you'll beat your own record plus Godwins.

« Reply #559 on: 12 September, 2017, 12:05:18 pm »
"Going to try a circuit of about 10 miles today A505 Leighton Buzzard to the A5 Dunstable and back."

https://twitter.com/steve_abraham74/status/907529179926855680
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #560 on: 12 September, 2017, 03:32:33 pm »
Looking really strong (and fast!) in that video... love the slow cadence... in the face to the 90 RPM brigade  ;D

whosatthewheel

« Reply #561 on: 17 September, 2017, 10:24:05 am »
No updates on Strava since thursday... Garmin issues or something happened?

EDIT: just read the tweet, stomach problems... guess two days off make a big dent in his lead over KS and probably means goodbye to any chance to catch AC.

Keep it going! :thumbsup:

« Reply #562 on: 22 September, 2017, 08:00:50 pm »
No updates on Strava since thursday... Garmin issues or something happened?

EDIT: just read the tweet, stomach problems... guess two days off make a big dent in his lead over KS and probably means goodbye to any chance to catch AC.

Keep it going! :thumbsup:

Even without the 2 days off he's not going to average 259 mls a day
We would all wish he could but it's a NO NO sadly

« Reply #563 on: 25 September, 2017, 10:37:21 am »
I note from Strava he's doing laps of a TT circuit near Leighton Buzzard now, and his mileage is slightly up on previous weeks.

On the other hand, he seems to be on the road for 24+ hours at a time with sporadic long (snooze?) stops in McDonalds and various hedgerows. This seems... unsustainable?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #564 on: 25 September, 2017, 03:26:30 pm »
I note from Strava he's doing laps of a TT circuit near Leighton Buzzard now, and his mileage is slightly up on previous weeks.

On the other hand, he seems to be on the road for 24+ hours at a time with sporadic long (snooze?) stops in McDonalds and various hedgerows. This seems... unsustainable?

McDonalds and stomach problems... why do I see a connection?

« Reply #565 on: 26 September, 2017, 10:43:45 am »

[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #566 on: 26 September, 2017, 10:07:39 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]The big M and Domino's are just about the only foods that have given me stomach ache and I have eaten fish and chips in the middle of many audax rides. I avoid lamb and raw onions on rides, as well as McDonald's.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #567 on: 26 September, 2017, 10:15:33 pm »
The advantage of The Scottish Restaurant, such as it is, is consistency.  Both in terms of the food, and the standard of hygiene.

It wouldn't be my first choice on a long ride either, but it's available everywhere, at weird hours and probably won't actually kill you.  Weirdly, while I don't generally react well to large quantities of chips, I've never had that problem with McDonald's.

Also: Proper loos with hand driers.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #568 on: 27 September, 2017, 02:32:51 pm »
and probably won't actually kill you.

... mmmhh, that's not what the documentary "Supersize me" claimed... although the guy didn't cycle 200 miles a day.

I wonder if it's possible to be super fit, lean and mean and at the same time have a raging LDL cholesterol and a liver in pieces...  ::-)

Chris S

« Reply #569 on: 27 September, 2017, 02:47:49 pm »
I wonder if it's possible to be super fit, lean and mean and at the same time have a raging LDL cholesterol and a liver in pieces...  ::-)

Er, well. Impressive, laudable and amazing as TG's (and others) exploits are - it's not at all certain those exploits will have long term positive effects on their health. Actually, rather the opposite, if you look at the state of some older triathletes and elite athletes.

« Reply #570 on: 27 September, 2017, 04:18:12 pm »

Er, well. Impressive, laudable and amazing as TG's (and others) exploits are - it's not at all certain those exploits will have long term positive effects on their health. Actually, rather the opposite, if you look at the state of some older triathletes and elite athletes.

This is very true based on some of older (and sometimes not so old) folk I know who readily admit they trained too hard in order to stay at the top of their game both in the semi-pro cycling scene and running side of athletics. Hindsight is a perfect science!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #571 on: 27 September, 2017, 05:27:43 pm »
I was thinking more in terms of whether high level of activity helps counteract a bad diet in the short term... is there such a thing as an elite athlete with high cholesterol?

long term effects of sport is another matter

simonp

« Reply #572 on: 27 September, 2017, 05:42:08 pm »
My opinion is that a lot of the issues of modern lifestyle are influenced by lack of activity as much as poor diet. Bad diet plus inactive worse than bad diet plus (sensibly) active. A poor quality diet won’t support port a high training load very well, though.

I’m in McDonald’s now. I think the quality has improved in recent years. And I always have a coffee which eliminates the empty carbs of a soft drink. I’d normally not but I missed lunch and don’t fancy rowing training on an empty stomach. It’s not going to be high effort stuff so I’m unlikely to throw up all over 2.

« Reply #573 on: 27 September, 2017, 06:30:04 pm »
I was thinking more in terms of whether high level of activity helps counteract a bad diet in the short term... is there such a thing as an elite athlete with high cholesterol?

long term effects of sport is another matter

Yes. I knew one (went to Olympics to represent GB) and sadly he is no longer with us. Died of heart related events.

« Reply #574 on: 28 September, 2017, 07:34:24 pm »
The advantage of The Scottish Restaurant, such as it is, is consistency.  Both in terms of the food, and the standard of hygiene.

Also: Proper loos with hand driers.

With the possible exception of the one in Middlesborough I visited early one morning (albeit 10 years ago). Smell of rancid oil, greasy handprints on all the table dividers, and loos the site installation guys thought were rough!!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)