Author Topic: Sugar free drugs, why?  (Read 4027 times)

Re: Sugar free drugs, why?
« Reply #25 on: 10 December, 2019, 04:28:51 pm »
Do not have a clue why I'm like that because I've never taken much effort looking after my teeth.

You chose the right parents.
Not so sure about that.  Their teeth are heavily patched up or replaced! My sister had teeth out too. I'm just a family oddity I guess!

« Reply #26 on: 10 December, 2019, 04:51:50 pm »
Re migraine triggers. I was forced to stop drinking coffee by the doctor. They wouldn't start prescribing drugs until I'd removed likely known triggers from my diet. So, no caffeine or red wine. I was reluctant, I love coffee. I could drink really strong coffee and it didn't make any difference to my headaches.

Anyway, I stopped drinking coffee. No difference to the migraines. Tried various drugs until found one that stopped the migraines.

Then I tried a sip of coffee . . .  No, can't even go near a deep sniff of coffee, instant piercing pain. If I sip coffee, so much as a couple of teaspoonsful, the world goes wavy, I lose control of my legs, my speech, my facial muscles . . . Effects last 15min to a couple of hours. From a couple of teaspoons of coffee.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 10 December, 2019, 06:32:10 pm »
Do not have a clue why I'm like that because I've never taken much effort looking after my teeth.

You chose the right parents.
Not so sure about that.  Their teeth are heavily patched up or replaced! My sister had teeth out too. I'm just a family oddity I guess!
Some folk have saliva which keeps their teeth healthy, some have naturally strong enamel.
The rest get varying levels of decay when they eat sugar and foods that stick to the teeth. There's nature AND nurture.
My Dad had strong teeth for AGES and NEVER used a toothbrush, as it gave him bad breath and his teeth stayed clean. His teeth are now rotting in his old age.
Mum had LOADS of fillings, crowns and extractions as a younger adult, brushed but never flossed her teeth and has hardly needed any dental treatment over the past 20 years. She has most of her teeth, which look good on an 83 year old.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #28 on: 10 December, 2019, 07:45:39 pm »
A migraine isn't about single triggers but a combination of triggers. That's what I got told at an event held by a British migraine research charity from one of the leading migraine researchers in the UK at the time.

<snip>

For example, to date my main, identified triggers appear to be light/reflections, irregular food intake,  ... <snip>

thanks for that, it's explained a few things to me about my migraines. I didn't think a single reflection could be a trigger in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Meanwhile all this talk about sugar is making me hanker after a biscuit.  Alas (or luckily) I have none.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #29 on: 10 December, 2019, 08:30:48 pm »
The elephant in the room is of course "It's going to taste minging anyway, why bother making it taste sweet and minging?", but there are bound to be some people it makes a useful difference for.  Oro-dispersable is presumably a massive win for patients who are bad at swallowing, so maybe that's worth it.

Is right. 

Some of the drugs I take are supposed to be sugar free.

Think that some tablets are sugar coated to help you swallow.

« Reply #30 on: 11 December, 2019, 06:47:42 pm »
There is a bit in here about how the sugar makes the tablets easier to swallow, but we just need to bear in mind the OP won't be swallowing the tablets he mentions.