Author Topic: Useful "Bodges" To Cycling Problems  (Read 3984 times)

LEE

Useful "Bodges" To Cycling Problems
« on: 09 August, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »
I was getting irritated by my Saddlebag's worsening sag between the rails of my Bagman support.

I solved it for a few pence and trivial weight penalty.

Use it yourselves or not.  Your choice.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Carradice Saddlebag Sag
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2011, 12:12:33 pm »
That's a good bodge.  I used florists wire on Butterfly's.  It hadn't been a problem for me, but her saddle is an awful lot lower.

I use crossed toestraps from saddle rails to rack to support the front of my Super C on a bike with a rack to stop it slumping forward under the saddle.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Carradice Saddlebag Sag
« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2011, 12:37:05 pm »
I use a piece of cut-to-size plastic coated corrugated cardboard:which is suprisingly stiff:in the base of my Barley

LEE

Re: Useful "Bodges" To Cycling Problems
« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2011, 01:19:32 pm »
Changed name of thread so people can post photos or descriptions of nifty solutions.

Here's my Rack mounting solution for my Cateye 600.  Some innertube wrapped around rack then clamped with normal bracket.  It makes it easy to perfectly adjust the angle of the beam and keeps it clear of rackpacks.  Rock solid for 4 years.

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2011, 01:23:03 pm »
To anyone with a Thorn Rohloff, it can be quite a faff to disconnect/reconnect the bayonet connectors on the gear chage cables when fixing a puncture with cold hands (in the dark).  The grub-screws are also prone to stripping.  I bought some allen-bolts from Stagonset which provide a lot more purchase when your fingers are cold.

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2011, 01:30:46 pm »
Finally, my last bodge for now is to deal with same issue described by Clarion, to get a Saddlebag to sit a bit more vertically and away from my legs when using saddlebag loops

It's some foam pipe lagging, shaped with scissors to fit around seat post, and some vecro running though it to secure it to seat post quickly.  Not pretty but does a job and weighs nothing. Insulation has some DUCK Tape wrapped around it to "beef it up" a bit.

I found the Barley hung at quite a steep angle before (when it strapped directly to the seat post) and it swings about too much for my liking if it wasn't secured.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2011, 01:35:26 pm »
You do know we have a whole board dedicated to our bodges, don't you? ;D
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2011, 01:36:45 pm »
Smart rear light bracket on a rack/mudguard braze-on, using a couple of spacers, a long pan-head bolt and a cable tie to prevent rotation:

Over-engineered hydration solution:

And of course, bar-end shifter mod to give increased mechanical advantage for those with hand disabilities and attitude:

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2011, 01:53:49 pm »
You do know we have a whole board dedicated to our bodges, don't you? ;D

I lose track

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2011, 02:25:11 pm »
Rotatable alternative rear light placement on a Brompton rack with a Cateye bracket:

Details: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39618
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

PH

« Reply #10 on: 09 August, 2011, 09:27:46 pm »
I was getting irritated by my Saddlebag's worsening sag between the rails of my Bagman support.

I solved it for a few pence and trivial weight penalty.

My bodge for the same affect;

Zip ties or gaffer tape, between us I think we have all the options covered ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 09 August, 2011, 09:54:04 pm »
I tried gaff tape, but it peeled after some persistent wet weather
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 09 August, 2011, 09:58:02 pm »
Duct tape might resist the wet weather better.  I use it to cover the vents above the toes of my summer shoes for the spring and autumn.  Stays stuck thanks to the marvelous adhesive.

Could use duct tape over gaffer tape.

PH

« Reply #13 on: 09 August, 2011, 10:18:20 pm »
I'm not sure what brand of tape it is.  This is my everyday bike that is parked outside at work in all weathers and the tape has lasted over three years without problem.  Though thinking about it, the bag is always on the bike so the tape probably doesn't ever get  that wet.

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 09 August, 2011, 10:22:18 pm »
I was a bit worried about using Duck Tape because I thought it may result in the bag sitting in a pool of water

PH

« Reply #15 on: 09 August, 2011, 10:46:04 pm »
That did occur to me as well, in practice it's never happened, the bag keeps the rain off the tape.
Just looked at my roll of tape and the brand is Duck.
I have a Mk II for the weight conscious cyclist (Kidding) it uses less tape so is even better covered by the bag and works just as well.

This has been on for over two years, though the bike isn't used every day it's still seen plenty of rain.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 09 August, 2011, 11:21:10 pm »
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape :

"Duct tape, or duck tape, is cloth- or scrim-backed pressure sensitive tape often sealed with polyethylene. It is very similar to gaffer tape but differs in that gaffer tape was designed to be cleanly removed, while duct tape was not."