Author Topic: Today we had the naming of parts.  (Read 2978 times)

Today we had the naming of parts.
« on: 08 May, 2019, 05:31:26 pm »
The part named was that little muscle above the knee cap that hurts while you are learning to ride a recumbent.
I'm informed by somebody who ought to know that it is the Vastus Intermedius and mine was hurting after only 2.5 miles yesterday. I don't want good recumbenter's legs. What I want is electrification, so today I have stripped the Bacchetta, cleaned and regreased every nut, bolt and thread, changed the front tyre for a Marathon and readied an Alfine 11 rear wheel to fit tomorrow.
Hopeful of getting the motor in tomorrow but not running. There is bound to be a bit missing or broken.

I have found two Bacchetta Giro 20's that have had Bafang FUN8 motors fitted. One in Oz and the other in the States.In both cases the motors have been transferred to other machines. I'm not sure if there is a lesson to be learnt there. :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Toay we had the naming of parts.
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2019, 07:14:24 pm »
You 'orrible lot will be working with MOTORS, which in your case you has not got.

Pedals gleam, turning in the twilight, riders yearning for cake, which in our case we have not got. 

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2019, 08:16:35 pm »
Just  walk to the top of hills and coast down the other side  .no motors required   O:-)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2019, 08:17:26 pm »
Just  walk to the top of hills and coast down the other side  .no motors required   O:-)

Good way to save on expensive and unnecessary chains, too.

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2019, 06:50:24 am »
You 'orrible lot will be working with MOTORS, which in your case you has not got.

That made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and sent a shudder down my spine!  :D

« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2019, 06:53:25 am »

Now here's a man who doesn't practise what he preaches.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2019, 07:06:28 am »

Good way to save on expensive and unnecessary chains, too.

I was once with Tarpaulin Dave just outside Bridges YH when his chainring fell off! We removed the chain and he pushed up the hills and scooted down into Church Stretton.
He was the first bloke to do the Long Mynd on a hobby horse since 1880!  :)

Re: Today we had the naming of parts.
« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2019, 07:54:50 pm »
I had a chain drive motor like the 8fun but with a torque sensor on my Giro 20 for a while. It changes the handling due to the weight. Low speed manoeuvres on tricky terrain can be somewhat challenging... Its weight means it hurts more when you fall off due to low speed manoeuvres on tricky terrain, cough!

Good luck!

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2019, 06:29:17 pm »
I had a chain drive motor like the 8fun but with a torque sensor on my Giro 20 for a while. It changes the handling due to the weight. Low speed manoeuvres on tricky terrain can be somewhat challenging... Its weight means it hurts more when you fall off due to low speed manoeuvres on tricky terrain, cough!

Good luck!

Thanks for that.
I fell off an unmotorised Giro 20 in a gravel surface carpark on Cannock Chase a decade ago. Hit my coccyx on one of the few sizeable rocks there. The following day I fell again on a gravel towpath leading into Brummagen.
I'm strictly tarmac on this machine.  :)

« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2019, 07:45:54 pm »
It may make the handling worse on road as  well. You will have to try and see   :)

« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2019, 09:52:17 pm »
It may make the handling worse on road as  well. You will have to try and see   :)

Is that your experience with the trike? Handling problems what with running into large items of agricultural machinery and falling off bridges  ;D

I'm nearly there. Need temporary accommodation for the battery and a way of fitting the speed sensor to the front wheel - probably on a V brake pillar. Which I have just ordered from eBay.
If all is well then it will be just setting the electronics. Are you set to 9 or 5 levels of power, Chis?

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2019, 07:53:16 am »
I use levels 3 and 4 most  :)

« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2019, 03:16:20 pm »

Good luck!

Thanks for that.
I fell off an unmotorised Giro 20 in a gravel surface carpark on Cannock Chase a decade ago. Hit my coccyx on one of the few sizeable rocks there. The following day I fell again on a gravel towpath leading into Brummagen.
I'm strictly tarmac on this machine.  :)

Ouch!

Mine was on tarmac, a 45 degree, LH, off camber, steep uphill bend. I remembered I thought it would be a doddle with the motor but the motor just made it really difficult with all the weight on the front end and the not human-powered acceleration. Mine was the Sunstar motor which I liked the feel of very much but it didn't last long on the Giro and I shifted it to a DF for a friend.

« Reply #13 on: 25 May, 2019, 01:26:50 pm »

[/quote]

Ouch!

Mine was on tarmac, a 45 degree, LH, off camber, steep uphill bend. I remembered I thought it would be a doddle with the motor but the motor just made it really difficult with all the weight on the front end and the not human-powered acceleration. Mine was the Sunstar motor which I liked the feel of very much but it didn't last long on the Giro and I shifted it to a DF for a friend.
[/quote]
I think I might have cheated there and fed power in with the thumb throttle  :)