Author Topic: The Triathlon Thread  (Read 105663 times)

JJ

Re: The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #350 on: 05 December, 2012, 10:39:27 pm »
Sounds to me more like not enough warm up and warm down.  FWIW, I usually find that a bit of lowish-geared recovery riding sorts out those kind of aches.

How much running are you getting in overall D.?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #351 on: 06 December, 2012, 11:19:12 am »
Sounds to me more like not enough warm up and warm down.

Quite possible. The problem with spending time warming up and warming down is it eats into the limited time I have available for actual running during my lunch break...

How much running are you getting in overall D.?

Probably not enough, tbh - Parkrun on Saturdays and a couple of lunchtime runs during the week. Would like to do more, in particular I'd like to get some longer, slower runs in, but it's hard to find the time.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

JJ

« Reply #352 on: 06 December, 2012, 12:08:12 pm »
Well, as I understand it, it does take quite a few months of consistent running to develop the capillary blood supply to those muscles that are maybe less or differently used in cycling, which is what winter training is largely about.  Warming up to get the blood flowing, and warming down, to clear some of the lactic acid* should help, even if it's just starting and ending with a slow half-mile and some careful stretching to finish.  Like I said, I find that the commute is a great way to clear some of the soreness too.

*Warning: It's at least 15 years since I read up on excercise physiology so this may be b88l8x

citoyen

« Reply #353 on: 06 December, 2012, 12:26:21 pm »
Makes sense. I always cycle to parkrun (about four miles away), and I've never had this problem - the ride home is usually at a much gentler pace so probably functions as a good warm-down.

d.

JJ

« Reply #354 on: 07 February, 2013, 06:29:06 pm »
I can't contain myself any longer.

Quote from: British Triathlon
Dear Great Britain Age-Group Team athletes,

You are receiving this message because you have qualified for the 2013 Belfort ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championships!

It's a sodding cheek for me to have put myself forward for this, based on my one and only iron-distance, but I DON'T CARE.  Now I've got just under 5 months to train hard enough not to be laughed at on the day.  To say I'm excited would be like describing Vostok Station as chilly or Everest as biggish.

« Reply #355 on: 07 February, 2013, 06:41:52 pm »
Ooooo! International fame & fortune!

JJ

« Reply #356 on: 07 February, 2013, 07:01:59 pm »
Heh!

Not really.  The Age Group stuff is what they euphemistically term "inclusive", and I'm at the inclusive end of that!

But I get to wear a tri-suit with GBR across the front, and that'll do for me!  Have to do somethign about the paunch first though  O:-)

« Reply #357 on: 07 February, 2013, 07:04:43 pm »
fantastic!  Let me know if you need more tea mid-training session..

JJ

« Reply #358 on: 07 February, 2013, 07:16:19 pm »
You don't think that might put me foul of WADA?

citoyen

« Reply #359 on: 08 February, 2013, 09:53:37 am »
Brilliant, JJ, that's really exciting news.  :thumbsup:

d.

citoyen

« Reply #360 on: 14 February, 2013, 05:48:38 pm »
My employers are running a get fit scheme this year, as part of which they're offering subsidised entry into the London Triathlon. Which is great, because I missed out on general entry. So, anyway, looks like I've now got my name down for the Olympic distance.  :thumbsup:

d.

citoyen

« Reply #361 on: 09 April, 2013, 11:47:37 am »
looks like I've now got my name down for the Olympic distance.

This morning, I've had an email confirming that I am indeed entered for the London Tri at Olympic distance, plus another email confirming my race number and start time for the Sevenoaks Tri, which is now just three weeks away. Better get down to some serious training...

« Reply #362 on: 09 April, 2013, 01:04:28 pm »
My stepson (currently warn weather training in Lanzarote) has decided he can't manage the bnecessary training to keep competing (as well as he want's to) and hold down his job in the City. So this year will be his tri swan song. He's aiming for a sub 12 hour time in the Panama Beach City Florida Ironman in November. He's probably down for the London Olympic distance (lets hope for better weather this year!)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

« Reply #363 on: 09 April, 2013, 01:19:57 pm »
He's aiming for a sub 12 hour time in the Panama Beach City Florida Ironman in November.

Good luck to him! My brother did sub-12 for the Nice Ironman last year and I saw how much training he had to put in to achieve that, so I don't blame your stepson for thinking it's too much. I don't think I could put in that level of dedication.

Mind you, my brother also said "never again" but he's been unable to resist and has entered this year's Alpe d'Huez Half-Ironman... triathletes appear to be a bit like audaxers in this respect.  ;D

He's probably down for the London Olympic distance (lets hope for better weather this year!)

Yes, let's very much hope so!

« Reply #364 on: 09 April, 2013, 01:31:15 pm »
I've also entered one of these things. The outlaw iron distance triathlon.

I'm just going to attempt to blag it I suppose, I'm doing enough bike miles for LEL, and I'm back running properly again now (70-80mpw) so if I occasionally get my arse in the pool I think it will be ok.

Not really sure about times. I'm not really too fussed as this is just something I fancy doing as I know a few other people doing it. I guess something around 11 hours maybe?

JJ

« Reply #365 on: 10 April, 2013, 10:39:13 pm »
70-80 MPW!?!!  Where do you find the time?  No problem with your training volume then!  Good luck with it.  You've already passed the first test, which is being organised enough to get an entry!

« Reply #366 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:59:08 am »
70-80 MPW!?!!  Where do you find the time?
She never sleeps and runs twice as fast as us lesser mortals ;)

« Reply #367 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:04:41 am »
LOL- I certainly don't think I do run twice as fast.

I did do a 21 mile run before work this morning though  :smug:

« Reply #368 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:13:41 am »
You ran an extended commute!!  :o

« Reply #369 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:14:30 am »
Erm, I commuted first  ::-)

citoyen

« Reply #370 on: 28 April, 2013, 03:18:56 pm »
Wow, Sevenoaks tri was a real blast. I want to do another one now!

Glorious morning for it, full sunshine from the start, though rather chilly first thing (2C according to car thermometer) - but thanks to adrenalin, didn't feel the cold too much, except in my hands after the bike leg - couldn't tie the laces properly on my running shoes and so had to stop twice on the run to re-tie them (note to self: get elasticated laces for next time). By the time I finished the run, just before 9am, it was starting to get properly warm, so the early start time had its advantages.

Pending official results, my times for the splits were: about 10mins for the 400m swim, which reflects the amount of swim training I've done (ie none); about 52mins for the 25km bike leg, which wasn't as hard as I was expecting (there are a lot tougher hills in that area than the ones they used) - only managed a paltry 71km/h on the descent of River Hill though; and 42.40 for the 8km run, which was fairly undulating, mostly up for the first half, mostly down for the second half, with a nasty steep climb just before the finish. Overall, under two hours, which is what I was aiming for, so I'm very pleased with that, though I know I could go quicker...

Really lovely route, especially the run section - spotted a few deer in the park. Several people said that was a good tri to choose for my debut and they weren't wrong.

JJ

« Reply #371 on: 28 April, 2013, 08:23:14 pm »
Well done!  What next?

citoyen

« Reply #372 on: 28 April, 2013, 08:30:36 pm »
Cheers. London next - Olympic distance  and open water... Really looking forward to it!

citoyen

« Reply #373 on: 29 April, 2013, 06:54:05 am »
Official result:
120th (out of 334), Overall time: 01:46:04, +00:23:36
Splits: Swim 00:09:10 | T1 00:01:49 | Cycle 00:50:49 | T2 00:01:37 | Run 00:42:38

So, slightly quicker than I thought on both swim and bike legs. Should be able to manage sub-8mins on the swim with a bit of training (and learning to tumble-turn). And sub-40mins on the run should be within my capabilities. Maybe could do with being a wee bit faster through transition too. Shame I didn't crack 50mins on the bike though!

JJ

« Reply #374 on: 02 June, 2013, 10:17:17 pm »
I can't contain myself any longer.

Quote from: British Triathlon
Dear Great Britain Age-Group Team athletes,

You are receiving this message because you have qualified for the 2013 Belfort ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championships!

It's a sodding cheek for me to have put myself forward for this, based on my one and only iron-distance, but I DON'T CARE.  Now I've got just under 5 months to train hard enough not to be laughed at on the day.  To say I'm excited would be like describing Vostok Station as chilly or Everest as biggish.

Well, it's done.  The water/air temperature combination was low enough that they had to cancel the swim, so I have done my first long distance duathlon of any description.  The bike ride was interesting.  I hadn't expected to need my dormant road-racing skills so much in a non-drafting race, but the narrow roads made bunching inevitable.  The Ballon d'Alsace is a long old drag, but hardly alpine, and the swoopy hairpins on the way down were fun.  The second run was just plain tough.

27th out of 69 in M50-54.  301st out of 690-odd overall.
I did finish.  I wasn't last, but I did look like the back end of a pantomime donkey on the second run.