Author Topic: Knee pain and hip surgery  (Read 1589 times)

Knee pain and hip surgery
« on: 27 April, 2017, 10:56:39 am »
I've never been one to suffer from knee problems. If I really hammered it, I might get soreness, but that would be sore all round all muscles.

Since starting to try getting going again, I'm getting soreness in my left knee. Feels like cleat (multi-release in M520 pedals) is in wrong position, when clipped in there is no 'slack' in the rotation to the left at all. Cleat hasn't moved on shoe.

What has changed is that I had bone taken out of pelvis on that side. So there is a bit of the Iliacus muscle has been cut away (no attachment point for it anymore, that was used for the graft). I'm wondering if that has changed the 'gait' of my leg when pedalling. Does that sound likely?

Will probably turn the cleat a tiny fraction to see if that clears things up a bit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Knee pain and hip surgery
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2017, 11:02:26 am »
I was getting knee pain at the weekend but cleared it by angling my saddle more up, or rather level than down; I think I'd been slipping forward slightly and bracing my knee against that. So that might possibly be something else to look at. But the hip as a source of knee problems does sound likely.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2017, 01:30:43 pm »
That sounds very reasonable.  The scarring following the surgery may well have changed the pattern of movement of your hip so that it moves in a complex path rather than straight up and down.

you could try videoing yourself on a turbo from the front and see if your patella tracks differently.  Also try some Pilates/physio to loosen everything up.

If this does not work what about trying speedplay?

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2017, 01:42:27 pm »
Cleat move since that is simple

Movement/physio (already do some core strength work, will add more range-of-movement work)

I use MTB shoes, which I don't think are compatible with speedplays. Hopefully won't have to replace pedals and shoes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2017, 02:33:35 pm »
Although this does sound like a true knee issue, readers are reminded that some hip pains are referred to the knee...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2017, 02:36:42 pm »
I think Speedplay cleats are two-bolt so compatible with mtb shoes – but you'd need new pedals of course.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedplay/?dest=1&curr=gbp&utm_source=google&utm_term=Manufacturer&utm_campaign=UK_M_Speedplay_Head+Terms_B&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=mkwid|srYcxMRUr_dc|pcrid|98256423076|pkw|%2Bspeedplay|pmt|b|prd|

« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2017, 04:56:54 pm »
Well a cleat adjustment seems to have done the trick.

Just got back from my first ride since adjust cleats. 118km, 900m ascent (according to strava) and no knee pain.

Foot is at a bit of an odd angle and my heel clips rear chainstay sometimes but I can live with that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2017, 04:43:02 pm »
 :)